“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday. Thunderstorms moving through every twenty minutes or so.


 I woke up with rain beating on the roof this morning. Since then, it's been fairly steady.  Looking at the radar, there are small thunder cells coming up from the SW.  Other than the humidity, this is not too bad since it is soaking the forest without washing everything away.  I'm staying inside since there's little I can do outside on a day like today.


Ragnar finally showed up last night. I hadn't seen him in a couple of days. Moved the china cabinet and hutch, but he was not in his nest. Went through all the closets. Searched the supply room and family room downstairs.

I was beginning to think he had gotten out despite the ferret guard on the door. Being blind, he wouldn't have lasted long.  However, it turns out he had climbed up inside the couch and has made himself a home in there. I was vastly relieved.  Doesn't bother me that he likes the couch, so do it.


Got my ammo I ordered.  It was all ammunition that would never be sold here so I have to order it from somewhere.  Each box was $15.95, and I ordered four boxes.  Shipping was $18.00.   So that comes to $81.80.   That's $20.45 a box.  Not cheap, but a welcome addition to my on hand supply for the particular weapons that require it. At least I didn't have to pay tax to Atlanta.

As I write this, I am listening to the scanner.  Three tourists in an SUV managed to go over the cliff on the old forest service road I use to cut across to the lake.  They got too near the edge, and went right on over. Rescue is en route, as well as a State Trooper.  If a Trooper is going to the wreck instead of or in addition to a Sheriff's Deputy, then somebody is either dead or injured. People think that because they bought themselves a four wheel drive, they can just toodle out into that forest and all will be well. Often, it doesn't go that way.



14 comments:

  1. Been getting frequent small storms here yesterday afternoon and today. They were annoying but now the cold front everyone has been talking about is moving in. 73 degrees!!!!

    Glad ya found Ragnar!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was getting pretty worried. I am awfully attached to my ferrets.

      Wish that cold air would get here. I would love a day or two of dry, cooler air. Might could get some things done outside.

      Delete
    2. I worked all evening. Mowing the lawn, putting the stuff up that always seems to get left in the yard between mowings. Put the sheep to bed etc. and not one drop of sweat on me...IN JULY!!! That is almost unheard of even at night. I even dug out all my Blackpowder stuff from it's hidden holes to go shoot tomorrow and didn't work up a sweat.

      Delete
    3. Very strange weather. My daughter in Cincinnati called and said she was at the stable, and out of nowhere a huge burst of wind came and toppled over one of the big trees there. The horses were all very nervous and nobody could ride. Then it got much cooler in about half an hour.

      Delete
  2. No rain here, but it is cool. 60 today in July?? Not complaining one bit. Glad you found Ragnar safe. Any accident on any state highways or interstate needs a Trooper here in MN. Troopers in Fla called for any accident involving automobile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, the Sheriff's department handles all wrecks unless there are fatalities or serious injuries. It's because at any given time, there are only two state troopers on duty in an eight county area up here. It can take them a long, long time to get on site.

      I was beginning to despair. Since the little boogers sleep 18 hours a day, it's not uncommon for them to be out of sight most of the time, but I hadn't seen him for long enough to be worried.

      Delete
  3. Must be tourist season...seeing an uptick in highway accidents here as well as folks drowning in the river. It's sad that folks let their guard down while vacationing. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, more people out in the woods means more accidents. Especially since a lot of them are out of their element. These yesterday apparently did not realize that driving on the edge of a dirt road, with a 60 foot bank on that side, would lead the the road crumbling and them going over. A lot of the people who come up here and get lost, drown, wreck, etc should have stayed in the city and gone to the mall.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Yeah' we got a cold front coming in that will stall up in Central Texas. All part of this "El Nino" thing.

    We lose a few tourist to drownings here on our local beaches every year. I don't mean to be blunt or cruel, but you can warn people of rip currents and undertows and if they don't listen, they become fish food.
    I use rip currents to paddle out. All surfers do it and you have to know how to paddle in a rip current or handle yourself in the ocean' period. The Gulf of Mexico is a very unforgiving woman.
    Back to the drowning thing. The victims sink when dead. When they start to decompose the bodies fill with gas and float back up about 24 hours later. The bodies look they have been badly beaten but that's due to actually being banged around on the sandbars under water for 24 hours or so.
    Sounds cruel but life is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the cold would get here. Still no sign of it this morning. Looks like another hot day.

      People manage to drown even in our lakes up here. They go out in boats, no life jackets, fall out. finito. Most of the people who go that way can't swim.

      Delete
  5. We had a lot of rain last night again, looks to be in the 70's this week. As I said this morning on our way past the garden, "great bean picking weather!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool air finally reached here about dusk. It was in the mid seventies. I hope it's like that tomorrow. I got some mowing done today, and made a trip into town. That was about all I could get done in the high eighties we had til evening. Tomorrow, if it dries out some, there's lots of things I can work on.

      Delete
  6. This is certainly one of those years for rain! I hope it lets up. It's oddly cool here. It's like fall weather - in the 60s today. That's cool for us. Usually in July we're in the 90s, and sometimes close to 100.

    It feels like it could rain. I kind of wish it would. Sometimes when it's like that I get huge sinus headaches, and itchy allergy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's that "polar vortex" according to the weather channel. I don't ever remember hearing that term until last winter. Supposed to keep it cool for awhile, but I think it is a dry air mass and not much chance of rain while it's in your area.

    Sorry about the headaches and itchy eyes. My daughter gets migraines when the weather changes, I know how difficult that can be for people. Maybe some Benedryl would help, but you are probably already trying that.

    ReplyDelete