“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, July 5, 2014



There's a big lake in Towns County, Georgia.  I think it may be the biggest lake in the state that doesn't cross over into another state.

Up on the Northern end of the lake, there used to be a hill top where you got this view. This picture for a post card was painted back when there were very few people up here. Now, this same hilltop is covered with condominiums.  Towns county still had a rural character in the early nineties, but it became a Mecca for retirees from Florida.  Now it's all expensive restaurants, tourist gift shops, fast food joints.  I went up there yesterday, hadn't been in awhile and I was amazed at how much it's changed on that side of the lake. Not for the better, but I suppose that's what some people call progress.

It's still a beautiful place.  I just hate to see so much of the woods and natural setting there turning into manicured rich people playgrounds.

I bought some ammunition today.  Didn't really need it, but I was looking over AIM Surplus offerings. They had a new brand I'd not heard of and I decided to try it. So I ordered one box each of Makarov ammo, .380 ACP, 8X56R for the old Hungarian M1895, and a box of .38 special.  All four boxes, plus shipping and handling, came to $83.00. The S&H was $16.00 so you can see the ammo itself was modestly priced.

The hurricane didn't reach us, but we did have a lot of wind and some nice, dry air.  We haven't had rain in several days and things are drying out to the point where I can start working on some projects again here shortly. That's a good development.

I found a new born kitten in a parking lot.  The mom must have been moving him, and gotten scared, because he had clearly been dropped.  His eyes still aren't open yet. Right now he is in a box and being fed every two hours or so. We got some of that artificial cat milk and an eye dropper at Walmart. No reason he shouldn't survive.  I have to keep his box upstairs though, as I don't trust the ferrets not to kill him if they get the opportunity.

As soon as the sun starts to come up I'm going out for a jaunt in the truck.  No where in particular, I just like that time of day.

12 comments:

  1. Cute man - are you feeding the kitten, or is the Mrs? ;) Enjoy the drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are taking turns. It's like when my daughter was born, every two hours you hear squalling and have to get up and feed the baby.

      Delete
  2. That's sweet to take the kitten! I hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly leave it in the middle of a parking lot under somebody's truck. He seems to be doing fine so far.

      Delete
  3. Hi Harry,
    Just catching up with your blog. I hope all goes well for the kitten, poor wee thing. I'm glad you came across it, at least now it has a chance.
    Just reading about the snake - eek!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see you back. You've been gone a long time and I missed your posts. I hope you are all rested up now after your vacation.

      The snake was a bad thing. This morning there was a giant spider on the shower curtain and I had to go kill it so my wife could get in there. You never known what you'll run into around this place.

      Delete
  4. I have noticed that the larger towns are growing and some of the smaller ones are not. Which is fine with me. I love the small town life. In less then 5 min. we are out around the farms. We too had a kitten that we had to hand feed. We used an eye dropper and discovered you can buy a small sized bottle which we started to use. Our little kitten is now a full grown tom cat named Spooky, as he is an orange tabby we got in Oct. I always wait a day or two to come up with a name. Fits every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one of those baby bottles for kittens but he wouldn't drink out of it. So my wife used an eye dropper and he likes that, drinks his milk right up. Haven't named him yet.

      Delete
  5. I know that we need a certain amount of progress, but I sure hate to see beautiful areas over run with condos. I once lived in a place that in order to get to it, you went to the end of the earth and came back about a half mile. Not a condo in sight.

    Hope the kitten does alright. I probably would have stuffed it into my pocket, too. Can't stand to see an animal suffer. You are good people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That county was really beautiful, but now it's just sprawling construction and residences. They cut down almost every tree on one of the mountains and built big houses for the well off. Those folks have a nice view of the lake but everybody else has to look at their McMansions where there used to be a forest.

      I think the kitten will make it, as long as the ferrets leave him alone. We are keeping him out of their reach.

      Delete
  6. Harry - you and your wife are what we call up here "good people". and that is a high compliment. thank you for saving that baby kitten...and it sounds like he will do just fine. we have 3 drop-offs...none of which are good for much then waking you in the middle of the night to be fed 300 times!!! but we love them all.

    the hurricane-turned tropical storm arthur did us a huge favour today by taking out all of the heavy humidity that has been laying on us the past several days. that kind of mugginess is really unnatural for this type of year! but the tropical storm does not seem to be affecting us much - we are supposed to get strong winds and a lot of rain tonight, but it keeps being downgraded. i feel sorry for all of the people in the states and the maritime provinces who are battling with it, and with loss of power. our lobster fishermen haven't been able to go out for a few days now. it looks like it will pass us tomorrow though.

    much love to you and yours always. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, it is hot here today, but not so muggy. The storm blew a lot of that humid air out of our area as well.

      Miriam and I went to town for lunch and to pick up a few things, and it was a nice drive. With the humidity out of the air, the views were really spectacular. I'm glad the storm didn't do you any harm up there. It's early in the season and I'm wondering if we will be so lucky the next time.

      Delete