“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, July 21, 2014

Three in the morning and it's raining. I kid you not.




Went to bed and was very comfortable, looked for a good nights sleep.  Woke up at two with the rain pounding down on the roof.  I left the truck windows open today so it could air out. They were still open.  Had to go out and roll them up, and was soaked with freezing cold rain by the time I got it done. That woke me up well and truly.  I noticed my loyal dogs stayed on the porch. They are not stupid.

This changes plans for tomorrow. I had a little work to do on the roof but it had to be dry. Now that's out. I still haven't gotten the truck in to have that fuel leak fixed.  Until I do that, I can't do much in the way of hauling trash to the dump or picking up some more lumber, both of which are on the "do it soon" list.  Maybe I'll drive in tomorrow to the shop, since I can't do much else.

I have a blog list that updates when people post. I notice that about three quarters of the blogs I read are not being updated. Summer always seems to be that way, people don't start writing much again until the cold, long winter nights come. 


I have been carrying my AutoOrdance M1911 lately.  I've had it since the late 1980's, and it's a working gun but it's in good shape. I always use a shoulder holster so it doesn't get banged around much. It's heavy, but it sure does give you confidence.  At night I put the M1911 on the night table, and one of my AK-47's by the bedroom door. Before anybody gets the idea I'm being overly cautious, just remember where I live. If I don't do it, it won't get done.

I know this is not all tricked out, but it's 1994 fashion.


I got some "perimeter defense" work done today.  Now it's far less likely anyone could walk up here to the house without my knowing it.  The old motion detectors I have been using haven't coped well with the constant rain, so I used something I read about in a history book.  I'm not being coy by not saying exactly what, I'm trying to be a little more discreet. I've been warned yet again by a friend that I'm being a bit loquacious about some things that might better be left unsaid.  True enough. I go in cycles that way.  As far as the satellite photo goes, I guess someone could use that to find me if they had enough computer power, but I have to think anyone with that kind of capability would have bigger fish to fry.

It's going on 4.  I better try to go on to bed, rain or no rain. 


18 comments:

  1. Nobody needs to come to you my dear friend all they have to do is wait no more than about 36 hours tops and you drive out your driveway headed somewhere.

    Prolly have a ferret with ya too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you work all day and stay up all night? I have noticed before that you are up most nights, but I know you put in a full days work. I'll probably sleep most of the day away tomorrow, particularly now that this rain has pretty much wrecked my plans anyway.

      I wish my ferrets could go but I live in fear of one of them getting into the woods. I'd never catch them.

      Delete
    2. I typically only sleep about four or five hours a day.

      Delete
    3. Maybe you are a Zombie. I couldn't make it through the day on that.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    cant sleep either....0309 hrs.

    yeah' its hot, humid, hot. Did I say hot. Yeah' its been really, really hot.

    Yeah' I heard that illegal aliens are flooding 911 with calls to be rescued. In this heat in South Texas I'm sure that they need Gatorade. As I understand it, if your illegal, you need to get registered with the feds, you will get your welfare then, you can then get your Gatorade.

    Maybe I should fly to the country of OTM (other than Mexican, wherever that is?) and take the train to the border, surrender to the Border Patrol and within a few days, I can get free welfare for years (sarcasm)

    Pioneer Preppy is right...

    Ambushes are a concern. Imagine Mr. tattooed up, illegal alien holding a knife to your throat as your starting to unlock your front door.

    What I do is I wait in the truck with the doors locked and the engine idling watching my house for anything amiss. I spend at least several minutes doing that. I then exit the truck and approach my house with caution. I then begin to unlock all the locks (there are several) and once I get inside, I disarm the alarm. If I have a knife to my throat. I will type in a certain code which disarms the alarm and sends a notice to my alarm company that I am "under duress" and send several police cars. Then the cops can show up and check out the dead guy in my living room with the knife in his hand.

    I pay only $21.00 a month for the alarm monitoring and they are local. I also have some extra stuff in place (its all legal, no autoguns like those on the movie Alien 2)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody will ever get that close to me. I'll know they are coming a long time before they can see the house.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Here's the best in automated home defense

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ey4MVSpqhw

    The scenes with the auto guns I was talking about. I know its all fantasy and its illegal to set up guns like this, but its fun to watch on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never hurts to expand your horizons.

      Delete
  4. I hate it when it rains unexpectedly and the windows are either down (car) or up (house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in the middle of the night. It wasn't supposed to rain.

      Delete
  5. I see you and PP are members of the Sleepless In America Society. I too get about 4 or 5 hrs of sleep. Its going to be hot and humid here today, but storms over night. By next weekend it should be back into the upper 70"s. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay up some nights, and others I go on to bed at a reasonable hour. Just depends on how tired I am,

      Delete
  6. Rain, rain go away...

    I'm unlike you, I could sleep through most anything.

    People don't update their blogs as much in the summer. I do more so - except when I'm away on a trip. It takes me just as long to blog about my trip as it does to go on it.

    When the school year starts I'll be busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the people I read are retired or not working for one reason or other, so there's less to read when summer is here and they are out doing this and that. One of the reasons I like your blog is that you post regularly and you have interesting posts as well.

      Delete
  7. I got chuckled at when I said that the nights at the cabin, when I'm alone, I have the AR sitting next to me on the couch.
    I said at least it doesn't laugh at me.

    You are right that if you don't do it, it won't get done. That includes defense of your property, your homestead and your family. We both carry, we both prepare, we both do what we think is prudent when it comes to defense. I'm just the one who sometimes thinks 2 is 1, 1 is none when it comes to firearms within reach.

    I haven't carried my thompson .45 in a long time, I'm so much faster and more accurate with my XDm. It does feel good when I pick it up and wipe it down, always puts a smile on my face.

    The odds of something happening are so small it's silly, but it's still there. A bear walking through the storm door for some 'max' steak is something I always think about at the cabin. Better to never need than need and not have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1986 when I moved here, nobody locked their doors. If there was a burglary in the county it was front page news and everyone was agog. Now murders are on the second page, usually after the customary paean of praise for the local county bosses on page one. The county was once virtually inaccessible, then a governor of Ga. built a four lane road up into North Georgia, and the Morlocks from the city started coming up here. The first weekend the road was open somebody bashed in the door of our pharmacy and stole drugs. When they got caught it was "inner city" guys from Atlanta.

      I live way the heck out in the largely unsettled part of the county , a part that includes a big hunk of the Chattahoochee National Forest. As I've mentioned before, law enforcement support is not a viable option here. You're on your own.

      I keep weapons strategically placed around the house as "go to" guns. When the ski mask brigade is trying to break in your door and calling you "pendejo" it's not the time to be looking for where you put your pistol/ rifle/shotgun and your ammunition.

      I'm surprised people would laugh at you for such a sensible precaution. I certainly wouldn't.

      Delete
  8. oh Harry - i am glad that you are well-armed and i know that you know EXACTLY how to defend yourself. people wonder how jam can leave and leave me up here in the middle of nowhere. first off, i am very cautious by nature. and both of my neighbours - regardless of how far away they are, have dogs. and even though we just had an actual murder up in our tiny village ( a son allegedly murdered his mother over a year ago) , we haven't had or seen any real trouble up here since some idiot sucker-punched jam back 3 yrs ago. i am glad that you sleep with a couple of weapons handy. i do the same.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber,

      I hope you are doing ok and not feeling too lonely. He'll be back before you know it. I'm sure you are safe up there, that seems to be a nice community even though there are some screwballs in every crowd. I hope you are relaxing and taking advantage of the quiet time. If J has to be gone, then you can use the time to just relax and recharge.

      Delete