“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Web cams

Web cameras are useful things.  There are several around here that I can use to view conditions in the local area.  Comes in handy when I know there is a fire somewhere but can't pin down just where from the scanner traffic. At night, you don't see much but the lights of the town.  If there are low clouds, or fog, you don't see anything.

I also look at the Tybee Island web cams. The one I like best shows the beach and the pier. In the summer they have a lot of storms there on the beach, and you can see the palm trees waving in the wind and the rain pouring down, lit up by frequent bursts of lightning. Next best thing to being there.


There's a web cam on the outside of a bar near where my brother lives in the Sierra Nevadas, and in winter I use it to see how deep the snow is.

They really are useful things to be able to access.

With the tropical storm soon to be a hurricane going up the east coast, I'll be watching it from web cams along the way. All the coastal tourist towns have plenty of them, so it won't be hard to do. In fact, as long as the internet is up, there's just about nowhere in the U.S. you can't find a web cam. Even overseas, there are a good many of them.

Hot here . Just after midnight and still 78 degrees outside.  Talked to my son today and he had his air up to 80, trying to save electricity. I told him to turn it down to at least 75 and leave it on. He has a very physical job and should be comfortable when he's done for the day and resting at his place. I sure don't spare the air conditioning up here.

This is a Chinese Type 56, which is what I was shooting today.


Fired off 60 rounds of AK47 ammo today.  Partially because it's been in the magazines a long time, and partially because it's cheap and I just felt like doing a little shooting.  Went out behind the barn and shot up a target on a two X four frame.  I also worked out the little Walther PPK/S that I carry in summer when I don't wear a vest. It never hurts to shoot a carry gun, just to be sure when you need it , there won't be any problems.



This constant rain and high humidity is effecting the motion sensors on the trail .  I have been using commercial motion sensors but I am going to pick up a couple of the new types the military uses. I saw them advertised in either Be Ready or Off Grid, can't remember which. The price was reasonable and I need something more durable than what I have now.

I get a lot of very interesting emails, not all of which are laudatory.  In fact, usually people send me emails when they are mad about something I said. If they are polite, I answer them. If they are rude, I delete them. I got one recently from a fellow who said he was sorry, but he wouldn't be reading the blog anymore because he didn't care for my comments about militant Islam or about Illegal Immigrants. Well, that's the great thing about the net,  you can vote with your feet. If you don't like what somebody says, you don't have to go there.  That doesn't change how I feel about any of the issues I discuss, but at least the guy didn't leave some nasty comment for me to delete.

You can't please everybody.


23 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the web cams. I have family in the northern part of MN, and I found several for that area. Also found a bunch of wildlife cams - wolf, bear, etc. in my state. I like the idea of checking on the weather with the web cams. I wouldn't have thought about using them in that way. This might be kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of wildlife cams, but I am going to check and see if there are any around here. That would be interesting.

      I like the beach cam at Tybee, I visit in the mornings and evenings and it's almost like being there since I know Tybee Island so well. If I could just feel the sea breeze it would be perfect.

      Delete
  2. HAHA if someone wants to bitch at me over email they will have a long wait. I am lucky if I check it once every two months or so. I seriously don't really like email for some reason. Never have. As long winded as I am in my posts the truth is personally I usually have very little to say which is why I don't really talk on the phone or write letters I guess, although I never have any problem with comments. Who knows. Just not my thing.

    The trick is to be unyielding in your preferences or opinions and don't try and act like you are open minded on them. Those with lefty views or special interest in some group, such as Muslims in the US, Feminist whatever will sense your weakness and think they can exploit it like White guilt. Stems from the same well so they are usually right about being able to use it against you. The idea isn't to change your mind but to get you to shut up more than anything else and walk on egg shells around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. listen wiener - don't you owe me an email response from like last november?ya, i thought as much!

      Delete
    2. oh Harry - for the love of all that is holy - my word verification to send my response to the wiener was "666" - yu-hikes! now i'm scared!

      Delete
    3. Well, I don't mind discussing an issue with someone. I may not change my mind, and they probably won't change theirs, but the interplay is fine as long as it's civilized. Usually if someone is going to be a jerk, they leave a comment and my filter catches most of them. I delete the nasty ones that get through. It never bothers me because I know there are a lot of Sheeple out there, and I know there are a lot of sick people who can only communicate by casting themselves as trolls.

      Yeah, I know you don't check your email very often! I have six different email accounts, each with a designated purpose, and I get behind sometimes but I try really hard to keep up with them. There are people who are so security conscious they won't even leave a comment, but some will communicate via email. I always figure OPSEC is a personal choice, and whatever a person chooses to do in that regard I try to accommodate them. The person who largely cured my insomnia, which has plagued me for more than 30 years, is one of those who doesn't comment but will do email.

      Delete
    4. Kymber, it was when we were arguing the issue of "Shield Maidens" that I first began to suspect Pioneer Preppy might be the Anti-Christ. I would say your word verification number of 666 lends credence to my fears.

      Delete
  3. Great again with the verification :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is aggravating but I was getting more than sixty spam messages a day, and I had to reach each one because they were all anonymous. I just don't have the time to do that, so I have to try something.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I like to pick at scabs too.

    I am sick of illegal aliens, militant islam, and political correctness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, no one will ever accuse you of being shy about your beliefs. There are a lot of people who are genuinely afraid to say what they think, for fear of some kind of retribution. I feel kind of sorry for them. I might say someone is not very well informed, or not very intelligent, or not very practical if they hold views that seem ridiculous to me, but they should at least have the intestinal fortitude to express themselves. I only hold that attitude towards those in America though, since in Europe and elsewhere you don't have a right to free expression of your thoughts. We're getting that way here, too, compared to how life in the states used to be.

      Delete
  5. Harry - i had no idea that you were a redneck. living in the appalachians, wearing underwear and drinking the shine. you really do need to get a job as a package delivery man up here - you'd fit right in! bahahahahahah!

    i am so sorry that you lost such a thoughtful reader. bahahahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber,
      That's a computer generated picture of me! That's what I really look like!

      Nah, just kidding!

      Delete
  6. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    want to buy a ranch on the border dirt cheap???

    I heard on drudgereport about ranches being abandoned by owners because of cartel members trying to ranchers to look the other way. I also heard the same stories floating around the last few years. Thanks to the feds for not monitoring the border and now they are changing diapers and picking lice off immigrants in detention centers security on the border is collapsing.

    I thought about taking a trip down south to check out the border situation myself and take a few pictures. I know the border well and I am comfortable in that region. I would actually be more nervous in South Dallas or North Austin.

    If I did this, it would not be for at least a few weeks (underline the word 'If")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could use a break. You've had a stressful few weeks recently and getting out and seeing some different sights is good for you. Just don't go down there and get disappeared.

      Delete
  7. I've used the traffic cams to look at my route into work since I drive almost an hour. They've helped when the TV says there is a backup but it isn't supported visually on the cameras. Sorry about the reader but you can't hold a candle to my husband. He's probably won the award for most unfriended person on Facebook due to his political and religious comments. He was invited to leave the city by a reader who wrote into the local paper after he commented on the federal flood buyout proposals here. His next goal is to be featured on People of WalMart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm ok with getting drop dead emails. I figure if I offend the lefties, then I am doing a good job of expressing my own ideals, which is what blogging is about to some extent.

      Your husband sounds like my kind of associate. I don't have a facebook account so I can't compete there, but I'd say being unfriended for political views is good. I have seen his picture on your blog and he looks like too practical a person to be in People of Walmart. Only the truly grotesque can aspire to that honor.

      Delete
  8. There is a race on Tybee Island that I have always wanted to run.

    We have not had much rain lately, and we need some. But we should get plenty this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does that not surprise me? I can't think of a more congenial place for a race than Savannah and Tybee. Maybe you can run it some day and we will come down and root for you.

      Some of the blow off from that hurricane may work it's way in towards you. I think it is going to miss us.

      Delete
  9. The reality is, anyone who attacks you for your politics (which is really just common sense after all), hasn't taken the time to study the issues. Stand fast in the face of ignorance my friend! --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, if they want to hold a discourse on something I don't mind that. But if they are so full of righteous indignation that they can only bluster and huff off in a sulk, well, you know what they say about people who can't take a joke!

      Delete
  10. I miss Tybee Island! I was living in Savannah when hurricane floyd popped into the picture. It took 6 hours to get from Savannah to Macon. Talk about a short trip spanned into a long one!

    I just saw a time lapse video of Omaha (Where I'm from). It's here if you want to see it: http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/omaha-nebraska-amazing-time-lapse/ It kind of fits into your web cam post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've given up on agreeing with everybody on everything. That is maybe easier because I am almost impossible to offend.

    The PPK/S is a sweet little handgun. A buddy had one and even the first time it shot far better than you would thing for such a small pistol. Yeah it is a .380 but if you put 2 into their sternum and 1 between the eyes it'll do the job.

    Personally at a comparable size (and 2/3rds of the cost) I am seriously looking at a S&W Shield in 9mm. It would replace my J frame .38 as the requisite summer gun. The .38 is a fine caliber but the J isn't an easy gun to shoot and it only holds 5 rounds.

    ReplyDelete