“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Journey to the post office and the grocery store.



When I was working for the oil and gas company, I used to day dream about Travis the Chimp getting loose in the bosses office and rending him limb from limb.  If you don't know the Tale of Travis, you should check it out on the net. Travis could have cleaned up the mess in Missouri in just one night.

Got up this morning, and the wife wanted to go to town. We were out of this and that.  I don't think I have been off the mountain since some time last week, but I could be wrong. One day just drifts into another.  When I went out to fire up the truck, it wouldn't start. I have no idea why. The last time I parked it I fiddled with all the external lights, checking them, and must have left something on. Jumped it with a charger and off to town we went.  Got to the foot of the hill,  went down and unlocked the gate, and went back to the truck.  My wife asked me if I wanted her to open the gate. I didn't know what she meant, but I looked at the gate.  I'd gone down to it, unlocked it, and then just walked back to the truck without opening it. Not good.

We stopped on the way into town so I could wash my windshield off and buy a coke. The guy that runs the gas station asked me where I'd been. I used to go down there a lot to drink a cup of coffee and sit on the bench out front.  I just haven't felt like doing it for awhile.

When we got to the town, I went in the post office. I had some aviation magazines to mail to another pilot (this guy still flies, unlike most of the fellows whom I talk to about aviation).  Also tried to mail something that got returned to an old and trusted crony. I hate the post office and don't go in there much, but fortunately it wasn't full of old geezers today so it wasn't as aggravating. I was the only geezer in there.

Then to Home Depot to buy a better battery pack.  I didn't buy the top of the line, but settled for a good one priced at $50.00.  It's a Black and Decker, and I've always had good luck with their equipment.

Finally to Walmart, where we bought dog food, cat food, ferret food and chicken corn.  $45.00 worth of animal feed and it won't last a full week.  But doesn't it say somewhere in the bible "the laborer is worthy of his hire", and the animals all work for a living.

Now I'm home.  We had given thought to going to a movie tonight but on reflection just staying home seems easier and more pleasant. My wife is watching "Quacker Factory" and I have some reading to do.

So far, so good.

18 comments:

  1. How was the ammo there? Our Walmart was getting better for awhile but now has gotten really thin again

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, in early June, our shelves were full and you could get all you wanted, except for .22 of which there was none to be had. Then the "Summer People" came up, and since then it's been completely empty. It won't improve until November, when all the half way backs return to Florida.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm, you sound distracted. Don't fret, we all go through moments like you mentioned LOL

    Harry - don't give up on the veggies - please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll just get them at the town farmers market for the rest of the year, and then maybe try again next spring . I'm really not much of a gardener to start with. I notice most of the gardeners on the blogs I read are women, but maybe their husbands are helping them with the work. That's how we are, my wife likes to garden, but I don't. I helped though with our experiment, which all got washed down slope.

      Delete
  3. I brought my dad one of those jump start packs for chirstmas last year. you charge the pack up and then it's ready to jump start a car r a tractor even if you're away from a power source. turned out to be a good present and he seems to use it lots. Here's a link to something similar https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/jump-start-4000

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev, it's handy because where our Sheriff's Department used to be willing to come give you a jump, they won't anymore. Apparently some out of towners said a Deputy gave them a jump and it "damaged" the car. They tried to sue the county, and the Sheriff got mad and said no more. I'm going to vote against him next election because I think it's stupid to let one half wit make you change a policy that benefited everyone else from time to time. I'll take a look at that link, thanks.

      Delete
  4. We did our running yesterday. We wrapped it up faster then we thought and came home no running until Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worn out. No plans to go anywhere for a while now.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I read the Wikipedia story on Travis.

    I laughed my ass off. The stupid lady gave Travis a Zanex. Humans on Zanex are unpredictable and you give a monkey 'err scuse me' a Chimp drugs. No wonder Travis flipped out like Cheetah on Steroids.

    Yeah' I don't even think Tarzan could have helped out Travis.

    Imagine a chimp in a detox program. That would not be pretty.

    I know there are many, many "Planet of the Apes jokes' I could come up with in regards to Travis and his substance abuse.

    on a change of subject, Harry. If it means anything to you. If I lived near you. I would call you up and offer to meet you at that gas station and drink coffee on occasion. You always have something good to say on your blog and I think you would make conversation in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lived near here, we could go to Gainesville and rob the Mexican liquor stores. We would have to be careful of the shotgun armed dwarfs in the beer coolers though. Also we could do some drive by shootings on the gangs. I don't have anybody to drive right now so that would work out well. ;-)

      Travis is my hero. The caption of that motivator is correct, is it not?

      It's not bad, actually, CC going down there and having a cup of coffee, especially in the Fall. They have a little restaurant at one end of the store, it makes good egg sandwiches. They have good coffee. You can sit right by the road and watch the traffic go by. Interesting people stop in there too, you never know who you will meet.

      Delete
    2. Harry....

      (captaincrunch)

      that was funny, robbing Mexican liquor stores and dodging rounds from 'dwarfs armed with shotguns" I kinda get a demented vision of heavily armed drawf's guarding 'Helms Deep' in Lord of the Rings.

      Suddenly I got an idea to rewrite "Lord of the Rings" using modern Tech' including drones, rifles etc. I think Elves would make great snipers if given 300 Win Mag bolt actions and Barrett rifles. I would only trust Hobbits with Mosin Nagants. Save the AR's and M4's for the Rangers.

      The Orks can all use AK-47's (somebody would consider that racist because the arab world uses AK's) Yeah' give the forces of Salron all Soviet era weapons including BMP's, T-62's and Hind D's for air support.

      Delete
    3. Good idea but Tolkien's estate would probably sue you.

      Delete
  6. You go through a lot of animal feed!
    I have not heard of Travis's story, but need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't heard of Travis the Terminator! It is a great story though it ends sadly.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, unlocking the gate and leaving it shut? Seems like you have a lot on your mind - or maybe nothing!
    I love our jumper box. We have gone through a number of them through the years. They always come in handy for something.
    I totally understand the 'staying home is just fine' feeling. We do that all of the time. I can't tell you when we went back to town for dinner, a movie or a stroll in the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I found my way back to the truck. I don't want to be going all "Golden Pond" here suddenly.

      Strangely, I have fired up the truck twice now with no problem. I guess I must have left some small set of lights on for four days and run down the battery.

      The older we get, the more often we opt to just stay home.

      Delete
  8. Ha ha my husband's name is Travis.

    I'm thinking it's best to try and train wild animals.

    It seems like Hollywood uses them a whole lot less today, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your Travis doesn't have much in common with Travis the Chimp. He went berserk and thumped a bunch of people. But I like Travis the Chimp, he had panache. :-)

      Ferrets are in some movies, but the producers always make sure they don't get hurt, so I don't mind so much. I just worry that people will see them, and go out and buy one which they then abandon when they find out how hard ferrets are to take care of.

      Delete