“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, August 4, 2014

Muggy , dark night.



It is pitch black outside.  All the external red security lights are on, but even with the night vision device you can't see much past the pools of light they throw.  I can see out to the tree line with the infrared projector on the night vision gear activated. I know this because the dogs have been raising hell and I've been out there several times trying to see what the problem is. No luck.

Very muggy.  I don't know if it's that storm going up the east coast, driving wet air in here, or just the normal summer humidity.  I spent most of the day inside, though.  We've had so much rain that now not only do I have moss on the roofs, but there's a variety of  green algae growing on the cement parking pads, so they look like they've been sprayed a light green.  I've had some kind of mildew growing on the cedar logs of my buildings, and have had to spray those as well.  I really am not set up for rain forest conditions over a long period of time.

I was using the chain saw this morning to clear up some storm damage, and got a wood chip in my left eye.  I wear ear protection, I wear leg guards, I wear steel toed boots.  I even wear a helmet if I'm working in the trees, after getting knocked silly by a dead branch that fell out of a tree I was working on years ago. But I didn't wear my safety glasses today because this was "just going to take a minute." I wonder how many people have made poor decisions preceded by that phrase?  Anyway, it sure hurts. My  wife says the eye didn't get cut and it will be better in the morning. She is long on practicality and very short on sympathy.

Lately I seem to be obsessed with planning.  I've always been that way to some extent, but in the last two weeks I've had a sense of urgency about getting everything done.  No reason for it.  Just nerves I guess. That's why I have started doing my daily routine on the eliptical late at night, just before I go to bed. It helps me sleep.

I watched "Noah" on pay per view.  Let me warn you, this is one sick movie. It has virtually no tie in with the biblical tale, and was a bit gruesome and violent even for the likes of me. It also portrayed Noah as a homicidal maniac along the lines of Ayatollah Khomeini.  Who needs that?  If there's a God, whoever wrote that screen play is going to be in deep kimchi when he dies.

I also watched the second episode of the new Animal Planet Channel series on people who live in houseboats up in the far North.  I like watching but I wouldn't want to live there, way too hard.

Probably all this tv watching is why my right eye hurts, because it is doing all the work. Oh, well. At least I had a back up for the left eye.

18 comments:

  1. Ya I wasn't real impressed with Noah either. Seemed like the writers were just afraid. Afraid to piss off the Devout Christians but also afraid to write a Christian Biblical Tale the way it was written for fear of the atheist and Multi-Culters. In the end they didn't make anyone happy I imagine and didn't do the subject any justice at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very rarely watch a movie that I can't find anything at all good to say about. This one was the exception. It stunk.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I have no desire to watch Noah. I heard something about it having 'rock monsters' build the Ark???
    I don't recall any rock monsters in the Bible.

    Guess what I just discovered. If type bible in blogger. Its lowercase. If you type Koran in blogger. It capitalizes Koran automatically. How's that for diversity.

    On the subject of rain forest in your area' Harry. Can you store up the stuff you need to clean the houses and roofs of the moss. Are there any tricks the old timers would use???


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure we've ever had a summer with so much rain and so few dry days. Maybe the old time folks never had to deal with it. I can store the sprays I use to clean off the moss, the mildew, the algae. But what the place really needs is just to dry out thoroughly for a couple of weeks. That would take care of all of it.

      The rock monsters building the ark was just the tip of the iceberg on that show. I always thought of Noah as a kindly old man, but he was a maniac baby killer wannabee in this movie.

      Delete
  3. Send some of your rain this way, my garden that was once too wet, is now too dry. My mom has been here the past several days so I've been a little out of touch. She's taking some of our squash home to her food pantry and I am sending a dozen eggs for her since the chickens have been laying a lot!! Hope you eye is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eye looks bad but doesn't hurt today so I guess it will be ok. Anybody that goes out and uses a chain saw with no safety glasses deserves what they get.

      Your mom will be glad of that squash. I only know one way to cook squash, fried in butter, but it sure is good. Eggs are always welcome. My dogs just got into a " girl dog" fight on the porch when one tried to make off with the others egg. That means a lot of growling and hair pulling but no real damage.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your eye - ouch!

    That AP show about the boats sounds interesting. I wouldn't want to live very far up north either - I don't really like cold and snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reap what you sew. I usually have this kind of accident when I see something that needs doing on an impromptu basis and don't use the correct procedures.

      It's hellish up there. I don't really know why people would want to do it. They seem to fall into two categories. Confirmed bachelors who are very eccentric to put it mildly. Then there are couples, and in those cases the men seem to be kind of the screw loose types, nice guys but not very reliable, while the girl friend/ wife is more the anchor of the organization.

      Delete
  5. Harry please be careful and take care of yourself. We need your wisdom and humor around here. P.P.and Kymber can only do so much. LOL. All of that rain and such remember its all that Global Warming. Al Gore told us so. LOL. And BO blames the Bushes for it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Kymber I am starting to get worried about her. She hasn't done but one post since J went to his conference.

      Delete
    2. I have been worried also. I just sent an email to them.

      Delete
    3. I checked her blog, she hasn't posted since the day he left.

      Delete
  6. At the risk of being a nanny.....Wear The Damn Gear, Harry! My brother nearly turned himself into a eunuch because he wasn't wearing his chainsaw pants. It only took seconds for the saw to hit a knot and pop back on him. Like Rob said, we need you.
    That sense of urgency isn't uncommon these days. I don't have the problems of moss on the roof, but I find myself making sure the laundry is caught up, that I have a list of needed food storage items in order of priority, and a schedule that takes into account the need for days of quiet in between days of activity, to let the arthritic joints work as well as they can. I don't know if it is because of all the dire headlines now or just a sense that time is running out. Whatever the reason, I think I had better do as much as I can as soon as I can. And hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my really colossal screw ups that resulted in trips to the hospital have occurred not when I had planned a job, but when I was going to do something else, and saw something I thought I could stop and fix in just a few minutes. Because I have a healthy respect for the chain saw, I did put on the protective gear, but I couldn't find the safety glasses and I figured, it would be just a few minutes, so why waste any more time looking for the glasses. I now have the answer to that question. I hate chain saws. I have seen some hideous wounds or their aftermaths from chain saw accidents, and to be honest I am a bit nervous using a saw. But there are some jobs here you can't do any other way.

      Lately I've been reminding myself of the ferrets when a big storm is coming. I feel really ancey, can't sit still and have to be doing something. I obsess on projects that aren't finished. I worry about the things I haven't gotten done when I'm trying to sleep at night. Like you, I don't have any one thing I can say "this is why I am anxious" about, but there it is.

      I don't think you are wrong.

      Delete
  7. I'd love it if it was that black for just 1 night here. I remember traveling to Western Nebraska last year. - We stayed in the middle of no where. It was black at night. You could hear nothing, but animals. I loved it there. The only thing that was difficult, was food. It was hard to find anything. We had our own kitchen, but there was no grocery story close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice out here, I don't have to hear any man made sounds, or see any man made lights. There are animal sounds from the woods that to this day, after living here all these years, I can't identify. I know why the old timey Scotch Irish who settled these mountains were so superstitious, there are odd lights and sounds from the woods at night that even now no one can explain.

      I ride into town more now that I am retired than I ever did before. Sometimes I go to pick up this or that, but sometimes I just go in and drink a cup of coffee, and watch the traffic going by on the main road. Must be due to the aging process.

      Delete
  8. Harry,

    Please wear all the gear......especially your eye protection.
    There is nothing wrong with working on your plans. The urgency of doing it now is probably because of all the news we've been hearing across the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I've been waiting for the collapse, and confidently expecting it, for 28 years now. Seriously. I'm like a Methodist at the Great Awakening. But lately I've just been really jumpy. Part of it may be a reaction to Ragnar's passing, but part of it is just anxiety because I keep finding gaps in my armor up here. The more I accomplish, the more I find. I need to move to Oregon or Colorado and get me some medicinal marijuana I guess.

      Delete