“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Slow times on the mountain and our theme song.




It's supposed to be storming, according to the Weather Channel, but it's not.  The marathon QVC Channel watching continues, apparently the recorder taped quite a few Quacker Factory shows and my wife is working through them , slowly but surely.  I watched "Kindergarten Cop" downstairs, since I like Arnold and there's a ferret in the show.

I spent some time rearranging in the shop today.  I may never walk again.  Cases of ammo have gotten so much heavier than they used to be.  I have no idea what a wooden case, with two spam cans, holding between 840 and 1200 rounds weighs. The weight is on the side of most of the cases, but it's in kilograms for one thing, and for another if I knew I probably couldn't lift some of them.





I've been listening to the scanners, as I usually do on the weekends and at night.  Not much happening. The speed trap in town is reaping a full harvest of tourists.  You'd think the word would get around, but apparently not.




I got up too early this morning, so I could walk just as the sun came up over the mountains at the lake.
Now I'm tired, so I'm drinking black coffee. That way, I won't take a nap and I'll sleep well tonight. All in all, it's a good Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. Harry, You are truly an inspiration to all of us by sharing those photos. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, if my place ever catches fire, people for 100 miles around will think the mountain was a volcano and that it just erupted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not any wheres near you in ready ammo, but I do have quite a pile in components, assorted flavors of powder and primers, including around 400 lbs of lead for casting. http://isserfiq.blogspot.com/2013/02/smelting-lead.html
    I find the raw ingredients allow for changes in needs over time depending on the mood of the day. A small sample for show and tell.
    http://isserfiq.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-litle-bit-of-shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't cast my own bullets. I keep a goodly stock of primers, brass, bullets and powder. Primarily for my old rifles where commercial ammo is either nonexistent or prohibitively expensive. In the 1980's and 1990's I was able to buy surplus ammo wholesale, and I put back a large supply of that. In those days, you could even get British .303 by the case.

      I think most serious shooters have moved into reloading, it just makes sense, both from the standpoint of economics and flexibility.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Today I also worked on getting gear together and I went to the range with a .45 caliber BB gun that uses 230 grain BB's (those are some really, really big BB's)

    Kimber makes some really neat BB guns. They call them 1911's. Maybe that's when that type of BB gun was first made. Its a real heavy BB gun. I also shot a Springfield XD .45 cal BB gun. I was impressed. I need to try shooting it more to see if I want to ask Santa Claus for a Springfield XD .45 BB gun for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a Kimber Custom II. Nice gun. It's one of my carry guns when I'm feeling up to lugging the weight around.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      I got the Kimber TLE 2 (I think its very similar to the Custom two)

      Delete
    3. CC, you have some nice weapons, guy. I hope you keep them locked up. A gun safe is a good investment. It would be hideous to come home from a hard days surfing and find some low life had scampered off with your collection.

      Delete
  5. Harry,

    Great song!!!! I laugh every time I see these two characters.

    Great photos!!! Do you fish at the lake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Cheech and Chong. They were always funny without ever being mean spirited. I don't actually do a lot of fishing, although there are fish in all the lakes around here. If I had a little boat I might do more. Sometimes I think about buying a small boat with a little kicker on it, but I never get off of top dead center and actually do it.

      Delete
  6. Your shop consists of extra food and extra ammunition.

    My husbands shop consists of Styrofoam, tools, and scrap metal. He makes sculptures. His is worse to walk through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all men need a place they can go to and potter at whatever they like to do. I have no artistic ability, though my mom and my son do. I think it must be a generation skipping genetic trait. I keep my shop as orderly as I can so I am able to cram more into it. I really need to build another outbuilding. ;- )

      Delete