“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Three in the morning, and dark as the Earl of Hell's weskit.



Don't I remember something about this planet having a moon?  It's been so long since I've seen the moon that I'm not sure it's up there anymore.  Tonight's clear, but there isn't much star shine coming down.  I had the Night Owl out a few minutes ago, looking for a kitten that should have been on the porch, and wasn't.

Even with the infrared projector on, no kitten.  So I got dressed, got a shotgun, and my huge Ryobi flood light.  Went out around the edge of the tree line. Even with a good flood, that's not a place I care to linger in the dark.  The cat was under a wooden bench and I eventually located her. Took her back to her mom, and told momma cat to keep the kit away from the edge of the porch.  But of course, now I'm awake and that's that until dawn.  For whatever reason I usually can sleep at dawn if I want to. Maybe I am a vampire?

I worked on the porch today and got quite a bit done, without incident. Of course, I am picking the low hanging fruit, working on the easy parts. I've had enough excitement for a few weeks though, so that's ok.

  The Night Owl is a nice piece of gear if you need to see in the dark, which I frequently do. It's older, but they still turn up on E bay and Amazon.  I've had mine quite awhile, and there are better pieces of night vision equipment out there, of course, but not for under $200.00 as far as I know.













I think every house in rural America has a shotgun.  It's "everyman's" weapon of choice.  I have several different shotguns.  One of my favorites is the Mossberg 590 A1.  This is a stout weapon, puts some serious firepower out, is reliable and guaranteed to get the attention of evil doers, two legged or four legged.  I have two of these fine weapons.  The heat shield may come in handy someday, and though I doubt I will have much need of the bayonet lug, it's a nice feature, like chrome rims on your tires.  This is the shotgun that went out to look for the missing cat with me. Loaded with buckshot, it will discourage about anything or anyone I'm liable to meet up here in the dead of night.





Of course, I do have other weapons. This is a picture I mailed a certain Senator from California years back, during a particularly tense time in the 2nd Amendment battle.  The extended middle finger is not, of course, anything vulgar but instead is the famous "Hawaiian good luck sign" employed by the crew of the U.S.S. Pueblo during their captivity in North Korea. If you don't remember that, you are probably too young to be reading this blog anyway!


The sun will be coming up in about three hours.  I could go out to the lake to catch it if I were motivated, but I think I'll watch it from the knoll here. I haven't been off the mountain since Sunday morning, and won't be going out again until Friday morning if things go as I plan.  No sense going off the mountain if I don't have to.


Once the sun's up, I will walk the dogs down to the water so they can swim. I'll pack my thermos with some good hot coffee, and sit down there on the rocks. We have to go early because if we get there later in the morning we may run into hikers. I don't like to be around other people , I just want to enjoy the woods.


Tuggy and Bell need a little break from chicken herding anyway.



It's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow.  Cool and dry.  I'll enjoy getting out and walking a bit.

14 comments:

  1. Go to the bathroom, look in the mirror- do you see yourself? Yes- no vampire. No- be concerned! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it's really nice to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and your family.

      I checked the mirror, somebody was there but I'm not sure it was me. Some old guy.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a really great hiking spot. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaving for the waterfall in about five minutes, dogs in tow.

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Yeah' the other night I went out to the beach after 11:00 pm and since school just started in Texas the vacation, tourist season has almost ended. The beaches were almost deserted.
    It was a nice evening with no clouds and I could get a good look at the stars.

    I really like this time of year. Its still warm outside but the season is over with and the beach scene slows down. Now we have this weekend to deal with (Labor Day) and that will be a mess, but after that. Its smooth sailing from here on out with no big weekend holiday's and no huge crowds.
    I don't know how to describe it Harry, but I like the feel of a seaside town when the season slows down. Some business's get closed up for the winter. Some beach houses also get closed up and things get much more relaxed as the population siphon's off. Now the snowbirds (Senior Citizens) will be starting to filter in with their RV's come October but for the most part. They are a laid back crowd (I have yet to see a couple of RV's drag race on a beach at 2:00 am)

    One more thing, I picked up a large Athol vice for $35.00 on craigslist yesterday. I made a pretty good score. On Ebay Athol vices are going for at least $120.00 for similar vices.
    This one gotta weigh close to fifty pounds and is in perfect working condition. Its greased up, the jaws are in perfect shape. The handle is not bent. Its had some hard, normal use but not abused. There is a little bit of the Athol green paint on it and some minor rust.
    I figure with some good clean up and some rust removal. I could almost restore it and I could resell it if I want for at least $120.00 or more (I will be keeping it) this thing is a real beauty and it has "Made in U.S.A" written on the side. The vice has gotta be at least thirty years old or more. Old school, American steel. Built right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, I know exactly what you mean about the beach. In 1985 I sent in my resignation from the Marine Corps and was waiting for my release to roll around. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune, but lived some miles up the coast on one of the outer banks, Emerald Isle. In the summer it was crowded, but after Labor Day the whole place shut down. My wife and I were one of the very few couples who stayed on through the winter. I spent a lot of hours walking down the beach in the morning, or at sunset. It was one of the nicest places I have ever lived. I really envy you, living there. However, I just watched a show on The Weather Channel about a hurricane that came in right around where you are some years ago and wiped out a lot of the little beach communities. When I got out of the Marines, my wife and I pondered living on the coast. But we had just gone through a hurricane where I had to take her and my baby daughter to Raleigh, to get them away from a hurricane (I stupidly went back to try to keep our house water tight, but fortunately the storm wasn't that severe) So we opted for the mountains and have been here ever since.

      It's always good to find a piece of equipment you can use and get it at an affordable price. Doesn't matter if it's used, as long as it's sound.

      Delete
  4. Good thing kitten has you to watch out for her. Kittens, often like kids, have no fear until it is too late.

    I just read last week about a study on sleep patterns concerning those of a certain age. Basically, it said there are none. I find that sometimes I sleep like a baby and other times I have that vampire thing going on, too. Just another of the joys in attaining geezer status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Momma cat didn't do a good job of caring for her one kitten last night. She let him crawl up to the edge of the porch and I guess he went over. Being on the ground in the dark here is a bad idea for a full grown cat, let alone a kitten. Kitten is fine today, though.

      I had a friend recommend magnesium to me and it worked really well at first, but now it seems to be less effective. I am going to email her today and see what she suggests. She knows a lot about holistic medicine. I stay away from prescription sleep aids because they can get to be addictive. The over the counter stuff works for a bit then becomes less effective. Things like ZQuil just don't work for me.

      Delete
  5. I like the Mossberg shotguns. Theyre an excellent value and quite reliable. I just wish the aftermarket support base was as broad as it is for the Remington. When it came time to standardize on a shotgun, we went with the 870 for he broad logistics base but when I come across a cheap (<$125) Mossberg 500 in 12 ga. I pick it up anyway and tuck it away. Someday I'll have a couple of those 590's....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got both my 590 guns when I worked at the gun store. People from the city bought them because they looked "cool", took them back down to the house, the wife had a fit because they were "scary looking", and the guys brought them back unfired and traded them in. Then I bought them at used gun prices, with an employee discount. I got most of my shotguns after Turkey season, when people would sell them to the store and I cherry picked some nice shotguns that way.

      Delete
  6. I too try to avoid going into town unless it's really necessary. Every time I go to town, I can't wait to get out of that aggravation and get back home. We live about 5 miles from town and I remember a few years ago we were able to drive into town and never get anyone come up behind you. Not no more. Population has picked up and it seems that the newcomers want our area to be more like what they were running a way from. Mayberry is changing. More BS. Everything from rules & regulations to renaming country roads and now naming driveways complete with street signs. Ugh. Makes me want to run away into seclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same thoughts on that. I was thinking yesterday about people who come here because they like the environment, and then immediately start doing their absolute best to change it so it's more like where they came from.

      When I came here in 1986 the population was about 15,000 and there were just two small paved roads leading into the county. Now, the population floats at around 27,000 and there are more and bigger roads leading in here. Fortunately, I bought in a remote part of the county far from town, and not near the big lakes, so most of the newcomers don't impact on me unless I have to drive into town.

      Sometimes I think we should have found a good place in the desert.

      Delete
  7. Today at lunch we were both discussing how much nicer it is at our cabin, the rural setting without people and all of the hustle and bustle. We may run into issues with people and dogs, but for the most part we rarely see anyone at all.

    I don't know what the good luck salute sign is. I'm just too damn young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the intelligence ship Pueblo was captured by the North Koreans, the NK clowns took propaganda photos of the crew. One of those photos showed everyone shooting the bird at the camera. When the Koreans saw it, they asked what it meant and were told it was a Hawaiian good luck sign. So they published the picture world wide. Needless to say, when they found out what it really meant there were beatings all around but the crewmen said it was worth it to make monkeys out of the North Koreans.

      Rural life is nice. It has drawbacks, but they are far outweighed by the advantages. The further from people you get the better off you will be, as a rule of thumb.

      Delete