“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, September 12, 2014

Giant moons and a solar storm. Three "Grid Down" television shows.


CNN -Big Solar Storm Headed for Earth: Video clip and article

link to article above



 This week we've had some of the biggest, brightest moons I can ever remember seeing.  I've been going out into the meadow in the early morning just to look at the moon.  There must be some sort of atmospheric phenomena that causes this, because the moon can't actually be that big.  I like a bright, moonlit night.  The woods look a lot more friendly in the moonlight than they do in the dark and fog, which is how I've been seeing them lately.

There have been a number of news stories about a solar storm coming this Saturday. I picked one at random and put it on the list of articles in the right border of the blog.  I think until the coronal discharge actually reaches the satellite that monitors those (can't remember the satellite's name) they won't know how the discharge is polarized. That makes a vast difference in the effects here on earth. The last big solar storm was polarized in such a manner that it didn't do much harm. This one won't either, unless it's the "correct" polarity.  I have a one hour special recorded on my satellite receiver, from a year or so ago. I really ought to pull it up and watch it, since it has all this information on it.

There were five shows in the series, entitled Perfect Disasters.  The one I have in mind was Solar Storm.   The entire show is in the video clip below.

Belated warning: If you watch the British version of "Blackout" it's better than the American version. However, they use the F word a lot. 















12 comments:

  1. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    The name of the solar satellite is called 'Soho" I forgot what the acromyn means???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds right. I don't know what it means either.

      Delete
  2. Did you hear about animals leaving Yellowstone? With that huge volcano underneath there, someone told me they are worried. I haven't heard or read anything myself, but I know you stay up to date on things like that. I will check into it later. Here bears and now coming into our town, one got shot and killed yesterday. Our police are asking for tranquilizer guns so they don't have to wait for the wildlife people to show up and don't have to shoot to kill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the bear. Bears coming into town here are common, so they have the right equipment to handle them. In fact, the town in Lumpkin County has a "Bear on the Square" festival each year. It's a big craft fair, and commemorates a time some years back when a momma bear and two cubs climbed a tree right in the middle of the traffic circle on the town square and wouldn't come down for a long time. They eventually were removed unharmed. I had a momma bear and cubs show up here and eat my trash. I fired over her head and she just ignored me. Finally the DNR came and caught them in a huge "no harm" trap, then took them to Tennessee to a wilderness area and let them go.

      I know the buffalo and other animals were leaving Yellowstone a few months ago during a particularly virulent "swarm" of minor earthquakes, but haven't heard anything more. There's a very good History Channel (I think it was History Channel) movie, one of those "docu-dramas" they used to make, about the Yellowstone Caldera. It's called "super volcano" and Commander Zero found it on line where you could watch if for free. I will see if I can find the URL.

      There's also a well researched book on the Super Volcano but the author is so foul mouthed I never recommend it to anybody, not even other men, let alone ladies.

      Delete
    2. I would have that youd have some rubber buckshot or rubber slugs for the bears.

      Delete
    3. I don't want to make them angry. I heard the mother bear when she got trapped in the big drum, and I saw her shaking it from side to side, trailer and all. Once I knew she wouldn't leave, I let the Forestas handle it. But now, they don't do that any more because there is no money in the budget for relocation, or so I am told. I guess it would be better not to call them because they might just shoot the bears. I have a big wooden bin they can't get into where I keep trash now and other than them just passing through, I haven't had any real contact with bears lately. I see them, but they aren't a threat.

      Delete
  3. We have had a lot of rain/storms this week. I'm not sure I even had a chance to see the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something special. I'm sorry you missed it.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I read three books on the Yellowstone super volcano by Harry Turtledove. The books are kinda like a 'dysantopian soap opera' with lots of facts strewn in. I can say it show the slow decline of society after Yellowstone blew, and that onto itself was interesting and kept me buying the books.

    I still have all three books if your interested.

    Harry' I gotta say I laughed when you mentioned the well thought out book on Yellowstone that was written by that 'very foul mouthed writer'

    I wonder if that writer was in the U.S.N.

    If I had a dollar for every time I said the 'F-word' onboard the 'Puget Sound' I would pay off the national debt (all $20 trillion) I was pretty bad, come to think if it, I still am kinda bad. I don't do drugs, nor do I smoke dope and cigarettes. However, I drink a little beer. My only real bad habit is cutting loose with a barrage or two of really bad 'Anglo Saxon' words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, I remember thinking this guy was way more foul mouthed than anything I ever experienced in the service. His language would disgust a bosun's mate.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I just watched that clip on the "Communist News Network' (CNN) of course they failed to mention that the power could go out for hours, days, weeks, month's, years. No need to panic. Go fourth young man and purchase that flatscreen tv with three years financing and your life will be richer, fuller and women will throw themselves at you (I tried that years ago and it did not work as advertised)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they did mention it, but I'm sure you are right. I have trouble keeping up with what is in which movie.

      Delete