“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Quick comparison: Kirkland canned roast beef at Costco vs. Great Value canned roast beef at Walmart.

I made two big pots of rice this weekend, and added in two different types of canned roast beef.






The Kirkland weighs 12 ounces.  Of the two, this had the best taste. There was more meat in the can, and less stock.  Since it's not available here, the best price for me is the 24 can case, which I can order from Costco.  Total cost , which includes shipping,  is $84.99.    That comes out to $3.54 a can.


The Walmart roast beef is available to me here.  It costs $2.50 a can, plus tax. In my area, that means a total cost per can of $2.67.   There is less meat in the can, and more stock, so the fact that it too is 12 ounce doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the same amount of beef as the Kirkland.

Still eighty-seven cents more per can prices the Kirkland out of the competition.

If you can go to Costco, I am sure you can get the Kirkland beef at a price closer to the Walmart brand.  If I could do that, I'd buy the Kirkland. It seemed to be a better product over all, less fat in the stock and more beef in the can.


13 comments:

  1. We went to Sam's on Saturday and stocked up on the sleeves of canned chicken, amongst other things. It's been good stuff in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat a lot of Great Value canned chicken, though I get it at Walmart instead of Sam's. Until just a few years ago, we had no Walmart and the closest one was a 90 + mile round trip. The GV brand products have always been good in my experience, from rice to meat. There was a Sam's in a town some 50 miles from here (and on the wrong side of the mountains.) When that county went Hispanic Sam's couldn't make a go of it and was closed. Now the closest one is half the state away in Atlanta.

      Delete
  2. Good to know. We don't have Cosco, but we do have Sam's. I guess they probably have more similar to the Walmart brand. I will have to check next time I go.
    That dinosaur egg book sounds really neat! I'll have to see if our library system has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy Chapman Andrew's book on his Mongolian Expedition was one of my favorites as a child. I hope you can find it. If you can't let me know and I will see what I can do. I think your children would find it fascinating.

      Sam's will be Walmart stuff in bulk, but you could still get the roast beef by the case, which I can't do at our Walmart. I just have to buy cans and pack them at the house.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you got to try it out. We've been pleased with the CostCo/Kirkland canned meats. Keep your eyes open, there may be a CostCo opening near you soon eventually. Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even with the increase in population here over the years, there aren't enough full time residents to support a store like Costco or Sams. I would be delighted if one materialized, though, and you can never say never.

      I appreciate the help in getting my hands on some of the non Walmart products. Ordering by mail is a viable option, especially in the case of something I can't get locally here.

      Delete
  4. Agree, the Costco Kirkland Roast beef is good, we have had it before and it actually doesn't taste too salty either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did think it was pretty good stuff. You're right, there isn't so much salt in the meat that the flavor is eradicated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    Next time I'm at Walmart. I will check to see if they have 'canned meatloaf:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think so, CC. I have never seen anything like that and I've been keeping an eye on canned food products for more than 30 years. If anybody does find a source for that, I'll buy a couple of cases. Never say never.

      I know Walmart doesn't have it. But they don't carry canned cheese or butter or bread and I get all those. So maybe there is meatloaf out there somewhere.

      Delete
  7. I saw the beef at Walmart this weekend, I will have to buy some to check out thanks Harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, it's not bad. You can't make a meal off of one can, but if you mix it with rice, or potatoes, something of that nature, it will work just fine.

      Delete
  8. thuốc điều trị xương khớp cho mọi lứa tuổi, thích hợp với những người già đang bị loãng xương, có thể dùng thêm thuốc hỗ trợ tim mạch bổ trợ thêm, làm tăng tuổi thọ, sức khỏe.
    Bạn đang tự ti về vòng 1 khiêm tốn của mình ? Đừng lo hiện nay đã có rất nhiều sản phẩm thuốc nở ngực an toàn đem lại hiệu quả tốt nhất cho các bạn
    Bạn có thể xem them qua những sản phẩm: thuoc chong ung thu hieu qua
    thuốc hỗ trợ điều trị sỏi thận
    thuốc chống lão hóa
    kẹo bỏ thuốc lá
    kem trị rạn da

    ReplyDelete