“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, October 24, 2014

Busy Day Ahead



I have a full day scheduled.  Got up at four thirty this morning, and made a big breakfast.  Scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and coffee, plus some orange juice.  It won't be light until after 7:00 a.m. and I don't want to try going down the mountain in the dark.  It showered some last night, and the trail is covered with dead leaves. There's nothing slicker than wet leaves on a steep incline, unless perhaps it's ice.

I'm taking the truck in for some pre cold weather preventive maintenance. I need the electric engine heater cord checked to see if it needs to be replaced.  A plate of underside "armor" fell off and needs to be reattached. If you drive on unimproved roads a lot, you need these plates to keep you from damaging the underside of the vehicle or the exposed portions of the drive train. I knocked one off recently, but I heard it come off so I recovered it.  I need a new license plate light rigged, since the wiring was damaged by some brush and it doesn't work anymore.  Just small stuff but I want to get it all done quickly. I got the first appointment of the day, 8:00 a.m.



Then I'm going to the farmers depot to get a couple more bales of straw for the dog bunker. The dogs have compressed the straw on the floors of their compartments, and you need a lot of it under them, between them and the boards of the porch, for insulation. That needs to be fixed.  I have a slow drain in the shop, need some special unplugging liquid that doesn't hurt pvc pipe or septic tanks. They have it at the depot. I will pick up a couple of big salt blocks at the depot as well, to put in the meadow for the deer.





Then to the grocery store, to get my resupply of medicine. Should be ready. Some of it has to be ordered, they don't keep it on the shelf. I used to get my medicine at Walmart but there are so many old people here (yes, I know I'm one of them) that the line at the Walmart pharmacy is massive. I don't like to wait.

After that to Walmart, for chicken feed (it's cheaper there than at the farmers depot), dog food, dog biscuits, cat food, and ferret food. I already have a lot of that stored, but I think I know how a bear must feel when winter is coming and it's almost time to hibernate. You feel like just a few more 50 lb sacks of this or that would be a good idea.

Yesterday I got the skylight caulked. Probably won't have time for more chores up here today, but I can work on them tomorrow.

It's five twenty now.  Sunrise in about an hour and fortyfive minutes. Then I'll be on my way.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes. Now if only I could find a ferret poking his head out of a tank turret, wearing a Russian tankers helmet, My life would be complete!

      Delete
  2. I had to really struggle to get that, Dani. I bought it from a Russian photo company and I had to get a paypal account, but it worked out in the end. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Harry. Glad it worked out in the end :)

      Delete
  3. Well it,s 9.26pm down here and the end of a long week slaving over a hot computer! Feeling pretty mellow at the moment, had a couple of glasses of Aussie Merlot and am on my third glass of port, good luck with your busy day Harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty good. I'm back now and looking forward to my weekend too. We are having "Red Baron" pizza at home and watching tv.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a busy day. I don't do prescriptions at Walmart either. Usually I pick somewhere with a drive thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it through everything I had to do except getting two bales of hay. Nobody had any. The truck didn't come, they said. Tomorrow we are going to do something fun, but we haven't decided what yet. Maybe a movie. I still haven't seen the one about the tank, and my wife wants to see the sequel to The Dolphins Tail.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Its a good idea to take lots of good care of that truck. I would love to have one of those older, mechanical diesels.
    On my 1990 Toyota truck, I restored that truck. I still would like to change out the fuel pump and water pump with factory Toyota parts and that would make that old truck 'super reliable. On the four runner. I spent a lot on it this summer getting the maintenance done, timing belt, etc.
    I got all the big stuff done as per projects on the house for the winter.

    One of my neighbors raises chickens passes out free eggs when they have more eggs than they know what to do with. I thought about a backyard project of some sort, like a garden or getting some goats or something ( I would not know what to do with a goat) I don't drink milk so I guess goats are out. Maybe raising rabbits? Again, what would I do with a rabbit?
    I thought about 'Beekeeping, but my neighbors would freak out. Maybe I will just stick with a small garden. I really like tomatoes. I get my tomatoes at walmart from a grower in Marfa, Texas. Greenhouse grown, organic tomatoes. Most of the other grocery stores down here get their tomatoes from growers in Mexico which is know for using sewage water to irrigate their crops so I don't buy a damn thing I eat from Mexico.
    In time I will figure out something to do in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never drink Mexican beer because of the urban legend (or true story?) that the Mexicans urinate in the beer vat as a little something extra for the gringos.

      I had goats. They didn't eat the grass in the meadow like they were supposed to, but they ate everything else. Like the sides of my buildings, the bark on the fruit trees we planted, and the rubber parts of my truck they could reach. I found them a home with an old guy that had lots of animals and took good care of them, though.

      My diesel has no computers. Bring on the EMP!

      Delete
  6. Good-morning,
    When I had my Chesapeake Bay Retrievers outside. I put down a layer of that 2" Styrofoam insulation, then a movers blanket on top of that. Then covered with straw. When the straw got thin atleast they were still warm with the layer of insulation...Also, love your ferret pic up top.
    Greenbow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Greenbow. That's a good idea. I tried something similar with these two when they were younger and they dragged it out of the dog house, tore it to pieces, and scattered it all over the place. Maybe now that they are old and less inclined to mischief I should try again, because that would solve the issue of them packing down the hay and it losing it's value as an insulator.

      That picture was a booger to get but I was finally successful and I like it a lot. Being a ferret person I could hardly help it!

      Delete
  7. Cool Ferret pic. Busy day at Chez Differ too; and a beautiful day in North Ga. for yard work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's nice like today it's time to get as much done as you can. This weekend is supposed to be nice but I'm not working, I'm just going to enjoy the last of the nice fall weather.

      Delete
    2. Lots of people like the ferret picture. I'm going back to the Russian web site and see what else they have. They emailed me today and told me I still had a three dollar credit ( I paid for the ferret picture twice) so they are honest.

      Delete
  8. I so need to call Honda about our vehicles. There's a recall on our airbags.

    This week I've been programming coffee to go off the night before. We trained Mica how to make coffee. Now I have to teach Mica how to program the coffee. I drink loads in the morning: A smoothie, coffee, and water. That sound of coffee brewing is better than an alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it isn't one of those where the air bag explodes and riddles the passenger with shrapnel. I saw a news segment on that and it was pretty nasty. If that happens to you and they leave some of the metal in you, you will never be able to go through the airport again! :-0

      I have a tea kettle I use to brew up hot water in the morning, then I mix up International Coffee , I like the French coffee the best. I also have a small coffee pot one of my students gave me when I was teaching (you know how they do at the end of the year, the mom gets a gift and the child gives it to you) but it doesn't have a timer. It's good though, makes just two cups. I don't know if I could handle a smoothie at four in the morning, I think I'd have to wait a bit for that.

      Delete
  9. Who ever said retired folks don't do anything are wrong. I'm just as busy today as I was when I worked. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the damndest thing, isn't it. It's true , too. I seem to have more to do, and spend more time buzzing around, than I did when I was working full time. I think that's because I left the house at 6:30 in the morning, didn't get home til around 7:00 (on a good day) and usually was so worn out I just went on to bed after supper. Life is more normal, now, more like it should be for everybody all the time.

      Delete
  10. Harry,
    [
    A busy day, and much accomplished..........makes for a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sandy.

      It was a good day. I'm feeling more energetic now than I have been for a bit. I'm tired but it's a good kind of tired, not the run down kind.

      Delete