“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday drags on.


 I was going to get some gun cleaning done today.  I've been meaning to do some of the more modern rifles, where you have to take them down to the basic groups.

Old bolt guns are so much easier. You don't have to strip them down to clean them very often.

I decided not to do it today, though. I'm having a very low energy Saturday, and it's also the last Saturday in the month which means I have other chores to do.




I had to pay bills this morning. I hate doing that. There may be something more boring and time consuming, but I can't think what it is right now.

I use double entry book keeping, which means doing the data entry on the billing is slow. But it keeps me from overpaying, underpaying, or forgetting to pay. I also keep a financial journal, which I then go back and check against obligations and income. It's a back up system to the computer, to make sure I don't make any ghastly mistakes.

At least I only have to do it once a month.









A surplus guns magazine came out, it's a special edition.  I bought it, and got my money's worth. Basically it's a compendium of surplus firearm stories from different gun publications the publisher owns. There was some fresh material and great photography in it. When I went into town they had only two copies left.

I have a big box of Swedish Mauser practice ammo out in the shop somewhere. I bought it when I was at giveaway prices but have never fired it. This magazine had a good article on practice ammo, and I found there's a lot more of it out there than I realized.

There's also a good article on the RPK. I have an RPK made by Nornico before William the Bastard banned the import of Chinese weapons and ammo, so I enjoyed this article  I have two drum magazines for my RPK but I've never tried to use them, I just use standard AK-47 mags.




Checked the mail while I was out, and got a new copy of Survivalist. I haven't had a chance to read it but it looks good.  Right now I am brewing some coffee. It's warm inside, the sun is shining outside but it's really cold.  Not very Spring like.

15 comments:

  1. I love my FALs. They are the only .30 cal non soviet autos I have, although I'd like to add a PTR91 this year. Lol, I already have maybe 100 HK mags, too cheap to pass up.
    Thanks for the time and effort you put into posting, I do enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three PTR rifles and love 'em dearly. I picked up about 600 mags when they were ninety-seven cents each. While I prefer the FAL, the economics of the HK-91 magazines and accessories made the decision for me. I mean...geez...I could buy 12 HK mags for the price of 1 FAL mag.

      Delete
    2. The PTR-91s are nice too. I keep meaning to get one, just because.

      Delete
    3. I have an HK G3 and a Cetme. Good rifles but the charging handle feels awkward.

      Delete
    4. All is ok here in SC. The only concern I have with the HK pattern is magazine insertion as regards the charging handle. I can see lots of drills in the future.
      Hopefully ill get one in the summer, right now I've got to go pick up a Ruger 77 in 280 that I have a deposit on.

      Delete
    5. I know the HK guns are good because they are in use all over the world, and still being produced. It just feels bass akwards having the charging handle in such a different location. The Ruger will be a nice addition to your gun safe, that's a good thing.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you, I hope all's well there in South Carolina.

    I like the FAL a lot. I've got a DSA STG-58, a Century International L1A1 I sent out to Entreprise Arms to have rebuilt in legal original configuration, a Brazilian FAL, and a British L1A1. They're long and a little cumbersome but they sure do deliver the rounds down range reliably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FALs are, IMHO, the perfect .308 battle rifle. I went with the HK-91 clone for economics, but I love the FAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had odd opportunities to pick one up here and there so I did. I like the M-14 clone, myself. I have one Norinco M-14 which is a hell of a fine shooter. I shot it in an NRA high power match at Riverbend Gun club near Atlanta in 1994. I also have a Springfield "M1" that I bought in 1996, but I haven't used it much.

      Delete
  4. Nice rifle. Looks to be inch pattern. Is it?

    Only have one FAL here at present--a folding-stock 21"bbl job. Love it but trying to decide how badly I want to convert it to 18", the length that I really wanted with the folder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a British L1A1 so it's an inch pattern. Got your letter and contents, I had forgotten about that, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our local Cabelas had a mess of STGs on the rack priced at 1600$/ea last year and they just could not get rid of them. If the price had been more realistic I might have picked one up. Gun buying is on hold for now given I need to pay for the new trannie in the Dakota this month.
    On a slightly different vein have you seen this guy? http://thehomegunsmith.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm always staggered today when people quote me prices because they are so, so much higher than they were in the 1980's and 1990's. That's about twice what I paid for my STG-58, new in the box with four mags. I've heard of ammo prices and new pistol prices from other folks who just bought this or that, and I swear it seems to me that prices have gone out of reach. I used to buy 20 rounds of PMC .223 fmj for under $3.00 a box, and now it's more than double that.

      Sometimes you have to divert funds from one line item of the household budget to another, in order to deal with unexpected expenses. I sent my preparedness money for March to that ferret rescue where the lady's rental house burned down and put the rescue in a tight. You never get through having to choose between this and that, I guess.

      I haven't seen that web page but I will sure look at it.

      Delete
  7. Just stopped by to catch up.

    ReplyDelete