Truth.

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

Ariel Durant

Friday, June 19, 2015

"Those Whom the Gods would Destroy, They first make Mad." Euripides didn't say it but he should have.


I went into town today.  This is the tourist season, which will run madly through the first week of August, die off, and then come roaring back for the month of October.  No sane person goes into town during tourist season.

I did, though.  I had some business to take care of at the post office and the court house.


I got to the court house and started to go on in. There was a huge sign on the steps that said no firearms were allowed in the building.  Even with a concealed carry permit, you can't bring a pistol into the court house. Everybody knows this.  I wondered why they felt like they needed a sign.

When I went inside, what used to be an entry room was now filled with metal detectors like you see at the airport. There was a Sheriff's Deputy there.  He told me to go through the detector. I did.  It went off.

I was wearing cargo pants. I had to empty all my pockets. I went through, it went off again.

Turns out I had my cell phone in my shirt pocket and the machine didn't like that.  What nonsense, you can't even walk in the court house anymore without it being a big federal case.  Bureaucracy, layer upon layer, until the level reaches such a height it just suffocates you. What does all that equipment cost, and why are we paying a deputy to stand in the door way all day? Who or what are they afraid of?

Then I went to McDonald's for lunch.  There was nowhere to park.  I didn't see any local plates. I didn't even see any Georgia plates. Everybody was from Florida.  I could have told you that without looking at the cars. Here, people wear drab clothes. Men wear jeans and work shirts, or khaki cotton work clothes. Women wear jeans, slacks or skirts, in white , black , brown, or tan, that kind of thing. But these people looked like a peacock party gone berserk. Every shade of the rainbow, men and women both.  Bermuda shorts and Jerusalem Cruisers for all. Lots of jewelry, on both genders. Guys my age and older with diamond studs in their ears and gold chains around their necks big enough to make a black rapper green with envy. If I hadn't known they were from Florida I'd have thought there'd been a mass breakout from an insane asylum.

Because everyone had to wait til they actually got to the counter to think about what they wanted, it was a long wait. I saw several of them help back things up worse by deciding they had waited long enough and demanding their money back. One woman took 23 minutes at one register because she wouldn't take cash back, she wanted her "refund" for $3.23 credited to her card. No one at McDonalds had a clue how to do that.

To top it off, inside the McDonalds there were hundreds and hundreds of flies. I have never seen anything like it. They were on the inside of the big plate glass windows, walking around. They were all over the counter and the tables, and the people. I thought I was back in Turkey there for awhile.

Tried to go to the grocery store, but I just gave it up as a lost cause.  It was like a scene from South Park's "Grey Dawn." Every senior within a 100 mile radius was in there, no chance of getting near a register or even going through the isles. One lady decided to run her buggy in front of me at the magazine rack and managed to smack into my knee with it.  Didn't phase her any.

I should have stayed home......






    Some new magazines have come out in the last few weeks.  Usually, there's one or two articles that I can actually use.  Then there will be some that I read but don't get much out of.

    The equipment reviews are fine, especially electronic gear and vehicles.  I love to read those, even if I can't afford to buy any of the things I am reading about.

    Clearly some people can though, since the magazines continue to do the equipment reviews and other blogs tend to talk more about the gear illustrated than I do.







I'm not sure why an article on debt collection is in a survival magazine, unless perhaps people are overspending on supplies and equipment.  Nor are too many likely to have to put a light aircraft down on the freeway, but it was an interesting article.  Home invasions are a timely topic, since they are growing in number and have been much in the news of late.



This is another new survival magazine. It's quarterly, published by the same people who do American Survival Guide.

This magazine, obviously, is oriented towards GOOD ( getting out of Dodge.) I just picked up a copy today during my abortive trip to town, and have only thumbed through it as of yet.  It has some great reviews of purpose built BOV (bug out vehicles) that I doubt any of us could afford, but they sure are beautiful.


There are also general survival articles oriented towards the non motorhead crowd. The magazine runs $9.00 plus tax, so it isn't cheap. I don't think there are any cheap magazines anymore these days.







The new Backwoods Home has some good information on dehydrating food.  I have been reading several blogs that talk about dehydrating all sorts of things.  All I ever make is beef jerky, but after talking with these bloggers and reading a few articles, I am thinking about trying some fruit dehydration. Another good way to store for the long term without spending a fortune.

I plan to spend tonight reading and listening to short wave. Another day, another dollar. Rhetorically speaking, anyway.


22 comments:

  1. Luckily, there's nothing around here that anyone from elsewhere wants to see. That means that we have only the swarm of LOCAL idiots to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georges, North Georgia is really beautiful, and because of a governor we had in the eighties it is easy to reach from Atlanta thanks to a four lane highway he had constructed. It also made it easier for criminals from the inner city to come up here bent on robbery, as happened last week. In summer and fall tourists come here by the thousands, which is nice for the handful of families who own just about all the businesses in the county, but wretched for working-class people who have to put up with the overwhelming effects of so many people.

      Delete
  2. What you just described reminded me of an episode I once viewed on the "twilight zone". Or maybe it was that Hitchcock one about the birds. I know what you mean Harry. All the Yellowstone tourists are passing through my neck of the woods. --T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's"The Birds" and it's an apt analogy. Even the tourists who are not obnoxious, and there are some, contribute to the problems.

      How are things near the caldera? Living near Yellowstone would make me jumpy. When my wife and I lived in Naples we visited Pompeii and Herculium several times. Unnerving.

      Delete
  3. The Demon critter in "Swan Song" had little fly scouts, so maybe he was eating at McDonalds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hundreds of flies, all over everything. It was weird enough to be demonic. My daughter says McDonald's is of the devil, you may be on to something Russell. :-)

      Delete
  4. bahahahahah to Russell above - i am just glad to see him commenting and posting again! oh Harry - what you describe makes my flesh crawl! we had tourists/cottagers here our first summer here - but we haven't had many this past 4 summers! not sure why tho and don't care. just glad that we haven't had to listen to the atv's and motor boats. we thank our lucky stars! sending much love!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a bunch of tourists disappeared Kymber so now they don't come. We have them disappear on the Appalachian Trail ever so often though and that doesn't seem to phase the rest of them any. I was glad to hear from Russell as well. You never know if people seem to stop visiting. Sometimes they are dead.

      Delete
  5. Tourists seem to have hit the roads today up here in Maine as well. We get all the frenchies from Canada who like to hang out at Old Orchard Beach. A local seedy Conney island wannabe kind of strip five miles down the road from us. Five miles away and I can smell the "eau de old friolator grease" and cotton candy from my house. They all bring their camper trailers down from Quebec city and spend the summer here parked cheek to jowl at the local KOA campground just so they don't get too homesick. All the old overweight geezers love to wander around in public in their banana hammocks and wife beaters. Its one of those painful sights you just cant un-see. Today they were en mass at the local supermarket loading up on beer, Pinnwheels and Ding-Dongs. Might need a bug out plan of my own if they get much thicker. I am thinking a vehicle like this might be suitable;
    http://bringatrailer.com/2015/06/19/well-kept-workhorse-1976-mercedes-benz-unimog-u406/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least with our tourists, I can understand them. Unless they are from some place like New York or New Jersey, in which case the accents are so bizarre they are often unintelligible.

      What are Pinnwheels. Never heard of those but I assume from context they are something to eat.

      I'll check out that Mercedes. There was a Swiss Army Unimog for sale in town for awhile, but when I called the guy he wanted a huge sum for it, way out of proportion to what it was actually worth. Besides, I think getting parts might be a problem.

      If I have to GOOD I have the F250 and the Jeep. I'd be screwed anyway though, my mindset is totally "Hold in Place." I'd have to abandon everything from 30+ years of storing and acquiring that wouldn't fit in two vehicles, and I'm not a Mad Max Road Warrior kind of person anyway. I like my layered security system. And my creature comforts.

      Delete
    2. Pinnwheels are just another variant of the marshmallow filled cake, kind of like Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Ding-Dongs and Suzzie-Ques. The other traditional Maine ubber-fat-pill is the Whoopie pie.

      Delete
    3. We have Moon Pies here. Sounds similar.

      Delete
  6. I admit it, you got me on 'Jerusalem Cruisers'...I had to go look that one up. We call 'em "Lord Boards".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I learned the term "Jerusalem Cruisers " from CC down in Texas. It's not indigenous to North Georgia, since it sounds vaguely disrespectful and the Southern Baptists are always on the look out for those who slight the Lord.

      I like "Lord Boards." I'll have to remember that.

      Remember the old Merle Haggard song where he says "beads and Roman sandals won't be seen."

      Delete
  7. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I had a similar experience on the beach today. Don't ever park next to a pick up truck load of fat, drunk Mexicans that listen to Tejano music and are all tattooed up.

    I wonder if it cost more to tattoo fat people because of all the extra real estate???

    I know that was a rude comment, but it was sarcasm. Everyone's getting tattoo's. Its the biggest fad since 60 year old men getting ear rings.

    I ignored the Mexicans and went surfing. The sharks would have been more pleasant to deal with.
    I finished surfing and loaded up my board and got out of there as fast as I could. I was not worried about my safety. Thease idiots were just non-violent jackasses, I just did not want to stick around since I can smell the sweat and suntan lotion from their overweight girlfriends that never get in the water.

    That's a general rule of mine. If I can smell a person on the beach from twenty feet away, somethings wrong.

    I guess I done, turned into a "Amphibious Misenthrope"

    I gotta get up in a in four hours and maybe surf then before all the Troglodytes, Neanderthals, and mutants show up on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People like that are a serious cause of pollution. Once you get middle aged the rule at the beach seems to be the fatter and grosser you are, the less clothing you should wear so everybody can enjoy the view.

      Nothing aggravates me like people playing their music in public on the assumption that everyone else likes the same schlock. Unless it's people talking behind me in the theater. I just turn around and tell them to shut up. Works every time because while they don't consider it rude to carry on a conversation at a movie, they do consider it rude for a stranger to use the "shut up" phrase, and they are shocked. I think they also think besides being rude I might have a proclivity to violence. I don't care what they think as long as they quit making noise.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      I agree with you. I would have liked to tell those Mexicans to turn their stereo down, but knowing alcohol, testosterone, sunlight and Mexican culture. I thought it best to grab my board and hall ass into the water if I want to have any peace and quiet.

      On another note. The surf breaks at specific spots so I have to be at those spots if I want to surf, regardless of crowds etc.

      Delete
    3. The only way you will get rid of those folks is with a Molotov cocktail, and there are negative social ramifications for using one of those......

      Delete
  8. You gave me a chuckle there, your description of the holiday makers from Florida is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty, it's even worse in Fall. The the county sponsors a huge bicycle race, and people come in their little spandex suits by the hundreds. The roads are completely closed off along the route, which include the only road to the part of the county where I live. They shut the road down for six hours.

      Delete
  9. Harry,

    My husband and I hate dealing with crowds of people when going into town. When we do go into town, we try to do it during the week because there's less people in the way, lol......

    Dehydrating your own fruit and vegetables is the way to go. You can even make some of your own spices doing this......like dehydrating peppers, then crushing the dehydrated pepper into powder. It's well worth it!

    Have you checked out the new "Backwoodsman" magazine? The most current magazine May/June 2015 Vol. 36 No.3 There are some great articles inside. I enjoyed the one by Creek Stewart, "Remember it's not If but When". Talking about preparedness.

    I think the weather here has detoured tourists from visiting the local college town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that one, I get it digitally. I wish I got the hard copy because the digital copy doesn't have any of the adds, but the hard copy costs too much.

      I've made jerky for a long time but I am going to expand. Over at "Mom's Scribbles" she did a big post on all the things she makes with her equipment. I'm not that advanced, but as you say I think I could do fruit, and yes, maybe some spices.

      Delete