Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Notes from Lothlorien.
It started raining about seven this morning. Sometimes, very hard. Usually, just a drizzle.
I spent most of the morning in the upstairs study. It has big windows looking out into the mountains, and I have an easy chair there where I can sit, listen to the radio, and look at the vista.
When the kids were home that was my "get away" but these days I hardly ever go up there. Most of my radios and other equipment for passing quiet time are out in the apartment now.
It's coming up just past five in the afternoon. Must be animal siesta time as everyone but me is asleep. I've got a ferret curled up in the "burn bag" next to the computer. I never throw anything away that has my address on it. I burn all that in an oil drum out behind the barn.
I don't think the sun is going to break through today. No matter, as I had no plans to go anywhere or do anything in particular.
Saturday I'll be going into town to mail some things, but I'm in good shape until then. No sense in using up fuel when I can't justify doing so by accomplishing something.
It's a shame that everything can't just stay as it is here. Unfortunately, I know from bitter personal experience that events "out there" eventually catch up to me here. Isolation helps protect you but it's not a guarantee of anything.
I have some friends that are getting their Ham licenses. I don't remember Morse code anymore, but I don't need to as that has been removed from the list of "have to's." I've long realized when the grid goes, so will the net and that will mean I will be completely isolated up here. Ham radio is not cheap, but I suppose I could rig up something within my means. Kathy's husband is a ham, and we have a ham club here in the county. The question in my mind is whether or not I can add something to the mix that requires maintenance. I'm already up to my neck in keeping this place afloat in that respect.
I wonder how much it would cost to get the license and get a radio and antenna set up that would give me some range in the mountains?
I can make my own antennas, I did field expedient HF antennas in the Marines on occasion, and I know how to use the FM on field expedient antennas.
It would just be a matter of the radio itself, and whatever the training cost. I've got plenty of HF receivers, so I can sit out here and listen to the world if anyone is broadcasting. But at the moment, all I can do in the way of transmission is skip on the SSB Uniden CB, and even that needs a new 20 foot whip antenna and a new four pin microphone. The thing dates from 1985, so I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I can talk to locals on it, if I want to, but usually I just listen.
In the new issue of Shotgun News, I saw used, good condition Chinese SKS rifles going for $350, and that was the dealers wholesale price. Either money has devalued considerably since the mid 80's, or the rifles are jacked up a lot. I bought them for under one hundred, new , with all the ancillary equipment. Now is not the time to be buying guns, I guess.
I just keep watching the events in Europe. The U.N. says 75% of the "refugees" are younger men who don't want to fight for anybody and are running off to avoid it. The remaining 25% are oldsters, women and kids. I don't trust anybody's statistics on this, but the U.N. is going to do all it can to downplay the numbers.
Seems like 2015 may see over two million people from Africa and the Middle East squatting in Europe. How can even the most advanced country find jobs, homes, provide medical care, develop supporting infrastructure, for numbers like that? Merkel said yesterday that this migration will change the face of Europe for ever. And it will. Clean, orderly beautiful Europe will become a vista of shanty towns and dirt, garbage and disorder. The "refugees" are all smiles now, but just wait til they get established. Ask the French how that works out.
The White House is leaking reports to the press that the President will announce an increase of 30,000 to the annual quota of 70,000 for these people. Barack Hussein can't do that legally without congress, but we all know that congress is comprised of self serving gas bags. They know Bandoho Mappoppo isn't going to move in next to them, so they don't care. Barack Hussein ignores congress when he finds it convenient to do it, and they let him.
For now, all this turmoil is not having any practical effect on me. I'm not naive enough to think it will always be that way, but like everybody else I can only await events. I don't blame the Greeks who are going out in Zodiac boats and destroying the engines of immigrant boats so they'll float out to sea and not dump off more people in the Greek islands. Maybe they have racial memories of what happened to the Mycenaean's when the Dorian migrations utterly eradicated that civilization root and branch. Or, maybe they see the handwriting on the wall and are not willing to just sit back and vanish without a fight.