Truth.

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

Ariel Durant

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The mountains are really nice at night with a full moon.


I was out late last night.  Not something I do often.  I went to a meeting with some people south of here, in the flatlands. It was about mutual support between groups in hard times. The second one of these I've attended in the last few months. It was supposed to last an hour, from six til seven. I got out of there at nine.  Then I had to drive home. Nothing accomplished. Same old thing, a would be empire builder not looking to build mutually beneficial ties, but rather to absorb and command others. I pass.

Driving home at night was nice though. In winter, the air is really clear here. There are no artificial lights along the roads, so you get to see the sky as you drive. It was really cold, about 20 above, but all in all I enjoyed the drive more than I did the meeting, and that's a fact. I wonder why so many survivalists are tin pot dictators at heart?  Even back thirty years ago, when I was just getting started and looking to learn from others, it was always one Alpha male with a massive ego, and a lot of followers. It doesn't seem to have changed, except there's less emphasis on resisting government oppression and more on surviving a total collapse.


  Back in the 80's and 90's,  most of the threat clearly came from the federal government.  Younger people don't remember Waco and Ruby Ridge, and there wasn't much interest in the Bundy Ranch a year or so back other than by the organized militias.  Now we have so much pressure from terrorism , both inside and outside what's left of the borders, that people tend to forget . Even with Obama squatting in the White House. Even with the thugs of Black Lives Matter running amok. I guess things look so bad most people are just skipping the interlude and preparing for the end game.


For those of you who used to follow Sol's blog before she vanished, it turns out she had a really bad automobile accident and is just getting back to where she can write. She's had a really rough year. I hope the next one is better for her and for the rest of us as well.

The idiot Turks have shot down a Russian fighter. The guy was in their airspace for less than 30 seconds. Both pilots got out, but the "fighters backed by Obama " which actually means Al Qaida affiliates shot them in their parachutes. Given the fate of the Jordanian pilot who was captured alive by Islamic Terrorists, they may be better off.  The Russians tried to pull them out but one rescue helicopter was shot up and a Russian Marine aboard was killed.  Never trust a Turk is an expression that goes back to the battle of Lepanto and probably before.  I wonder if there will be a dust off between Russia and the Turks that will drag NATO in?

Putin could take out their air defense system by snapping his fingers. I think he'd be justified in doing so. But what would NATO do? And why would we be fighting our most important ally against Islam, over some moronic Turkish AD site commanders actions?

What a world.



16 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you when it comes to the Turks. I was stationed there in 78-79 and what a bunch of morons. I believe this was a planned and orchestrated act of aggression with the support of the Obama administration. How many times during the Cold War did both US and USSR fighters and bombers violate the other's air space without any action being taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of time in Turkey 1980-1984, mostly at Dyarbakir and Eshkisher, but also in Ankara and Constantinople. Down around Konya as well.

      I liked the Turks as individuals for the most part. Their government was as dishonest and treacherous as our own. I remember at one point in 1982 the USN was really worried about Soviet Naval Aviation coming out of Crimean bases. That was a real threat to the battle group in the med. So we gave the Turks several billion dollars worth of early warning equipment with the express understanding it would be deployed to cover the gaps in the radar wall between the med and the SNA bases in the Crimea. Then the Turks got the gear and deployed it in the Adriatic sea on Turkish held islands, oriented towards Greece. Nothing we could do would entice them to keep their word, they just blew us off.

      My wife and I were watching the news last night, and after they started talking about Turkey we looked at each other and said "Major Botan" at the same time. He was at AFSOUTH on the AIRSOUTH staff, at the same time I was there on COMSTRIKFORSOUTH staff and my wife was on AIRSOUTH staff. He was such a good guy we still think of him fondly these thirty years plus later.

      But as for the Turkish government, especially under the current Supremo, they're out for themselves and that's it. Can't blame them to some extent since Obama has shown us to be paper tigers, but still.......

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I agree with you on the survivalist thing that many of the leaders are bent on 'taking control' etc.
    I think its the mental thing were someone feels they have to belong to something and they have to control it too. I see the same mentality in biker clubs, etc. Its a common alpha male trait in all groups including the military.

    I prefer loose groups. I don't want to control others, nor do I want to be controlled by others. I don't mind working in a team but someone always someone who thinks their 'buffalo muffin's" don't stink and they want to be the 'El Jefe'

    count me out on that one.

    I got a story on one clown that I had a falling out with awhile back. I never mentioned it on this blog but I was pretty sore about it some months back. I saw a fifty four year old man act like a fourteen year old boy and throw a temper tantrum. I lost out on some money, only a few hundred dollars and I'm still sore about it. There is nothing I can do. Sooner or later that fifty year old man will be seen for who he really is and hopefully I will be around to laugh about it.

    On the deal with Turkey and Russia.

    The Turks are stupid. Hubris will be their undoing as was in WW1. Maybe Putin was testing the waters. In that case some 20mm cannon fire fired off to the side of the SU-24 would have been more prudent and the SU could have made a hard turn and burn, back into Syrian airspace knowing the Turks are serious.

    I really think in the long term Turkey will be absorbed into the 'Islamic state' There is a growing group of hardline, traditional muslims in Turkey.

    I tried to war game every angle of what went on with Turkey and Russia today from every angle. The only logical solution I can think of is that Obama is attempting to start a war with Russia so he can nullify the Constitution and this new world order garbage can be instituted. I know it sounds nuts but the axioms that George Orwell coined such as 'doublespeak' War is Peace, etc lead me to believe that maybe much more powerful banking interests etc, are pining for a massive global conflict to reshape civilization and the muslims taking over Europe is part of their plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was foolish of the Turks to provoke Russia. I just hope we don't get sucked into it.

      Lots of history happens not by design but by chance. I don't think anyone could have created the mess that is going on now. I think it's just the "penny in the pond" effect. We knocked off Sadam, that was the penny. The outgoing ripples are the result. It's the law of unintended consequences.

      At least, from my perspective this whole thing is a cosmic joke.

      Delete
  3. s our ally against islam russia or turkey.
    this country has been kowtowing to turkey for ages.
    you must have read about the usa's treatment of the armenians and others caught by the cruel turks when ship commanders were told to ignore the shrieks of those they damned to the tender mercies of the turks-- who are well noted for their tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey controls the Dardanelles, which means they control egress and ingress from the black sea. That makes them very important, so we have had to put up with a lot of trouble from the Turks over the centuries. Russia wants to control the Dardanelles and has for centuries. The Crimean War was largely fought over that issue. Gallipoli in WW1 was over that issue. The Turks are not and have never been gentle people.

      Delete
  4. if government goes there will always be another government. concerned that a new one would be a worse one, since the egomaniacs show their claws at times of upheaval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our government seems to me to have been progressively larger, more intrusive, more omnipotent. The quality of the people who comprise government has never, in my opinion, been lower. I sometimes feel we would all be better off if the whole rotten edifice collapsed of it's own weight. Then the people who built and carried this country for two hundred years could start over and built something beneficial rather than the baleful sewer it's become.

      Delete
  5. I've been down that road before, the wife and I just quit local group because of similar leadership problems. We joined in hopes of finding like minded people. but the so called leader, lacked some basic social and leadership skill, and was one long winded SOB that loved the sound of his own voice. The wife and I have been Preppers since before y2k, and from the couple of meeting we attended, there wasn't much presented that we hadn't been doing and weren't already practicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of it may be that in general, people who have the foresight and the presence of mind to get ready for the obvious trials and travails ahead tend to be outside the mainstream of society. They already understand the concept of personal responsibility. But that makes them independent. So taking a bunch of people with this personality trait and merging into a cooperative group is tough to do. The end result is that most of the individuals who make the effort tend to be super ego types. The very personality that alienates independent minded people. For whatever reason, they do seem to be enamored of long winded, condescending speeches. I know of only one group that really had it wired and got off the ground, and they eventually all went their separate ways.

      Delete
  6. i failed to mention the turkish friendship toward the kurds!
    God protect the kurds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kurds want Kurdistan. The Turks, Iraqis, Iranians, et al don't want them to have one. Personally, I think the Kurds are a better bet for being our allies than anyone else in that region, besides Israel.

      Delete
  7. That's too bad that the meeting didn't really have any sort of impact on you. Times like that are a waist. At least you had a pretty drive home. I could see where that would be really peaceful driving along in peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice drive back, very beautiful in the moonlight. As for the meeting, what's the old saying about "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince."

      Delete
  8. Sorry the meeting didn't pan out. One thing I like about the road we live on is that everyone practices some degree of homesteading. Most have chickens and gardens and we all trade heirloom seeds with one another. Aside from one house, everyone is good about helping out one another, while respecting boundaries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That being so, you already have a mutually supportive network and I envy you. In my case, I am concerned about the possibility that some unforeseen event may make this location untenable, and then my group would have to displace. This meeting was supposed to address exactly that issue, but instead it turned into a hot air session with people telling war stories and trying to trump each other.

      Delete