Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Number 34

I got married in 1982, so I think this is our 34th wedding anniversary.   You tend to lose track after the first few decades.


Everybody has seen my wedding pictures, so here's one taken Nov 10, 1982 . It's from the Marine Corps Birthday Ball at the AFSOUTH officer's club in Naples, Italy.  We planned to get married in Naples in November, but couldn't get an Italian license so we got married at the Navy base located in Little Creek, Virginia while I was there on a conference.   I had it all arranged for the base chaplain to marry us, but things got all out of control when our families got involved. We wound up getting married by her dad, who was a Baptist missionary.


It was supposed to be just the two of us, but by the time her family and my family got involved, it got complicated.  We had to have a wedding dinner and all that.  It stressed my wife out because her mom and her sister swooped in and took over.


In the end, it all got done and everybody left.  We still had a week of the conference and that was our honeymoon.  She'd been stationed in Italy a year longer than I had, and she never got any boondoggles back to the states, while I had several. So once things settled down, it was a nice honeymoon. I remember taking her to a big park in Norfolk that had been some rich persons house. The gardens were really beautiful. My wife loves plants and flowers,so it was fun for her.  We went to the malls in
 Norfolk and got her some decent clothes, because I had already decided I wanted her to stay home. The Navy accepted her resignation because she was married, although she had a year left to serve on her commission. They were good about it.  Of course, we lost her housing allowance and such but I just wanted her to be able to stay home. We had a nice little "villa" out on the beach in a place called Lago Patria. She planted roses and they grew like crazy in the volcanic soil.  We used to watch the sun go down over the Med from our veranda whenever I was home (which wasn't much.)

Hard to believe it's been that long ago.


24 comments:

  1. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    You lucked out the first time.

    Too bad the family hijacked your wedding. I understand how that hurts the bride, hell' its her wedding. You had the easy part, all you had to do was show up.

    You did good Harry. You had a good life. You took care of your wife and raised two healthy and happy kids.

    Don't get the idea about getting old and checking out anytime soon. Yeah' your bones may ache and you may not have the energy of a 30 year old man, but you got the spirit and heart of warrior and you are a leader. We need you around for awhile.
    You do not have permission to abandon your post until you are properly relieved.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not planning on croaking anytime soon, CC. But I am at the age where you know most of your life is behind you. It's good to be able to look back and say there aren't many things you would change. Nobody is perfect, and I'd do some things differently, but none of them are major events or factors in my life. Just the small change of existence.

      Delete
  2. In this day and age where the word commitment has little meaning any more and where so many relationships are of the throw away variety, it is so nice to see people who still have values. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I tend to count the years more by events than by dates. Certainly getting married was a land mark in life for me. We've had some rough spots here and there, but they were never something we couldn't work out.

      Delete
  3. Norfolk sounds like a pretty decent place to honeymoon. It's where my grandmother grew up and she has some pretty fond memories of it, the way she talks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked it very much. During my tour in Europe I had four conferences there, each in November. I always took my wife with me. Lots of times, I got orders to the NATO staff school in Oberammergau and she loved going up there. It was a great little town and the big U.S. Army rest and recreation center in Garmische wasn't far away. We had one conference in London at the American Embassy every year at Christmas, and all the wives went on that one.

      I had a great tour in Italy. The only thing that wasn't so great was Lebanon and I had only myself to blame for that. I moved heaven and earth to get there.

      I think taking the wife to Norfolk every year was a good idea over all. The airline travel was murder. Long waits in the Rome airport, then more waiting in New York and reverse the process going home. The flight across the Atlantic took forever. But we sure had a good time when we got there, and really, there's no place like home. It was always so good to be in "the world."

      Delete
  4. I agree with Vicki. Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely bride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    My lovely wife and I got married back in '78. We were only 20 at the time. Our anniversary is the 30th of this month. We knew each other 4 months before getting married. Best thing I ever did. Only wish she could say the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be the only person I know here who has been married longer than me. Mostly because everybody who has died off. ;-)

      Delete
  6. You may lose track of decades and dates, but you know she won't, lol. She might say it doesn't matter, but, trust me, it does.

    Love the pictures...thanks for posting them. A lovely life, well lived. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been good. I'm looking forward to having her home all the time now. Dec 18th is her last day at work.

      Delete
    2. good to be home before the snow flies.

      Delete
    3. Yes. No more worrying about getting back over the mountains to her mom's.

      Delete
  7. May you have many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. My wife has put up with a lot from me. I'm lucky.

      Delete
  9. Happy 34th to you and Your beautiful wife.... Lemme guess you hooked her with that snazy marine uniform?
    Wish you guys many more happy years together.. Much love to you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Glock Mom. She was quite an eye full in her dress whites. The Navy knows how to dress the ladies.

      Thanks for the kind sentiments. Hope all is well on the estate there with you, Senior Chief, and the kids.

      Delete
  10. Congrats to you and the Missus on you 33rd wedding anniversary, Harry. You're a shining example to your children ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a good family. I've been really fortunate in that our family is so close.

      Delete
  11. I got married in 1982, so I think this is our 34th wedding anniversary. You tend to lose track after the first few decades.

    Hoo boy! I hope you didn't say that out loud.

    I like the 2nd picture down. Mrs. HarryFlashman'sBlog is a classic beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was. And though we are both old now, and don't look anything like we did at age 32, I still see her that way.

      She knows I have trouble remembering how many years we have been married, I always have to figure it out on a calculator. Even worse, we were married on the 3rd of December, but her sister gave a bit cross stitch picture of wedding bells and it says 4 December 1982. So I am eternally confused by that. But it was the 3d, I looked at our license.

      Delete