Truth.

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

Ariel Durant

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sunday


Sun just went down a little while ago.  Clouds coming in but it's not supposed to rain tonight. I hope it doesn't as I didn't put the tarp on the truck yesterday.

 Finished working on the winter dog house today. This may be the best one I've built. It's lower with less space in each "room" for the dogs, but there's plenty for them to sleep and it will keep them warmer. Looks pretty snug, I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow.

I got six rifles thoroughly cleaned today.  A Yugoslavian Model 1924,  a Turkish Model 1903 converted to 8mm Mauser in 1939,  A Turkish Model 1903 converted to 8mm Mauser and short rifle configuation in 1942.  A Mauser K98 dated 1940,  a Springfield 1903 re-barreled in 1942, and finally an Australian built Enfield No.III.  It's more work than it sounds like, but going through and giving all the weapons a thorough going over is another of my winter projects.

Australian Lee Enfield MK.III


German K98

Turkish Model 1903 converted to short rifle configuration

Turkish Model 1903

Yugoslavian Model 1924

Springfield Model 1903




Started doing a little reorganization out in the shop but that's going to take quite awhile.  Still, I've got plenty of time.  Right now I think I'll make some coffee and listen to the shortwave for a bit.




12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And still as lethal as they were decades ago.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    It was warm and sunny outside today so I got some stuff done. Im avoiding watching 'bama's speech tonight. He may say something hateful and abusive about lawful gun owners, and that will hurt my feelings and I will have to find a 'safe spot'

    I like Mosin's. Did I ever tell you that I like Mosin's?

    Mosin's make me fell safe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it. I don't feel any safer. He says not to worry, all's well. He also said we shouldn't have high powered rifles because terrorists might get them. I guess we should all get rid of our cell phones, since terrorists might use cell phones to set off IED's. And we should all get rid of our cars, because terrorists might use them to make car bombs. That guys not just a disgrace, he's an embarrassment.

      Don't forget to give a moslem a hug tomorrow. Obama wants us to love them and coddle them and welcome them. Then all will be well.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      I will hug my Mosin tomorrow.

      Muslims smell like goats and I have no desire to hug a goat.

      Delete
    3. I'm relieved to hear it. (about the goat, I mean.) ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's getting colder here too. I need to replace the straw in the cats' tubbies. I have two small tubs on the deep front porch to keep them out of the elements and one large igloo under the deck which needs straw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cats all crowd in with the dogs. But the dogs won't share a single room straw house. I have to build a divider in between to give each one of them a separate space. They don't mind the cats but they do mind each other, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Curious to see your dog house creation. Our dog doesn't use his dog house very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually turned out to look something like Der Fuhrerbunker. I am thinking of calling it Der Wolfsschanze.

      My dogs don't have much choice in winter. They don't come inside (not much use as guards inside) and the places they like to sleep in summer are too cold. But in their thick, well insulated dog house they can wait out subzero weather comfortably. Especially since they both have a bunch of cats snugging up to them.

      Delete
  5. Harry,

    Keep warm!! Hey nice looking guns, care to pass them this way, lol.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, everybody should have at least one Mauser!

      Delete