Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday. Light snow and strong wind.



It's a winter day here.  After all this unseasonable heat , rain and humidity I'm glad to see this weather.

Started snowing last night, on and off, but just showers.  The air is so dry none of my humidity gauges will register. They all stop at 20 %.  The temperature got down to 19 last night but has warmed up to the point that it's 23 right now.

I've been out twice to run some water in the outbuildings and check on everything there. The power is staying on, for the moment, so there shouldn't be any real trouble in keeping on top of things. If the power goes out, I have to switch to backup heat sources. Not a problem in the house, where the heating system is independent of the grid.  Same in the apartment.  But I have to go to a kerosene heater in a couple of other places and that's a pain. Especially when you have to go out in sleet at two in the morning to refill the tanks. Beats busted pipes, though.


Clearly I am not going to be going into town today. I'd given some consideration to going in and looking at the magazines, and maybe having lunch in town.

But then I remembered it was Sunday. The whole church crowd hits the cafe I like , after church. Too big a mob for me.

In this weather, getting in and out of the homestead would be difficult. I have everything I need here already so  I think I'll just stay home today.


Gary, you have a lot of people in your camp.

Martha, from my ferrets to yours.  Dook on!



Six Bears, you have good taste in guns.


You have to have cartoons on Sunday, even if there's no Sunday Paper here. Thanks for the help from friends who want to maintain a low profile.   Staying off the sky line makes sense, and I appreciate their time and efforts.



























14 comments:

  1. You're feeling particularly antagonistic today aren't you Harry? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty, cold weather does that to me. Makes my joints ache!

      Delete
  2. Brrrrr Chilly temps with wind. Makes for icy conditions, too.

    I like your forests there. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Ridge mountains really are pretty, but the forests are too dense and heavy, really. I like it out where you live. Long views, you can see what's coming. And your night sky view would really beat mine. The trees come up right to the house and block out the sky. For me to get a really good view I have to walk out into my meadow.

      Just went out to check the outbuildings and the snow is turning grainy, you know how it gets when it comes down like little pellets of sugar? By morning it will be a frozen sheet. Moved the Cherokee down the mountain past the really bad curves in the trail, in case I need to get out. But I won't try it if I don't have to.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the weather here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges, they are getting it in a lot of different parts of the country just now. Supposed to be colder and more snow here tomorrow night.

      Delete
  4. My joints and lungs love cold dry weather. But the rest of me hates it. Talk about being conflicted. I can see 50 miles in all directions of white, white, white snow. Yep, snow is white...always will be. Bet that drives the left wing sissy kids nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could see fifty miles in all directions. I can, but only by going up slope and getting on top of a big granite boulder. I'm getting a bit old for that trek. I have good views but not 360 like you do.

      If I take the jeep and go on a three mile trek, I can see into three states though!

      Delete
  5. Nothing beats a good rant for making a fella feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum, some of the other ladies said similar things. And I thought I was being the soul of sweet reason!

      ;-)

      Delete
  6. We haven't had any snow yet, but I'm not complaining about that. It is rather cold and windy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that hard, grainy snow last night, that's like little sugar pellets coming down. Had to go out three times during the night and run some water because it got much colder than the weather people had predicted. But I expected that. They always give the temperatures they anticipate at our airfield, and I'm much higher than that. Today is clear, but bitterly cold. I went out and broke up the water on the animals troughs with a hammer, then poured in buckets of hot water.

      Delete
  7. Harry,

    Cold weather makes you antagonistic, what does hot weather do to you?? I'm just testing the water......LOL or stirring the pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold weather makes me aggravated! But only if it's too cold.
      ;-)

      Delete