"There is no doubt that our nation's security and defeating terrorism trump all other priorities."

Arlen Specter

Friday, April 22, 2016

Rain


We have been having spectacular weather.  Low humidity,  and temperatures in the low 70's.  With the full moon the last few nights, it's been great sitting out on the porch.  You can hear the stream running just down slope, and the night birds, and that's it. Otherwise, it's dead quiet.

I've been working on the blog, trying to restore some of the things I either deleted or disabled. When I shut the blog down I deleted my blog list, to protect the people on it should unforeseen eventualities arise in the future. Now I am laboriously putting it back together.  Blogger is not cooperating, giving me trouble with listing some of the non Google blogs but I will get it all put back together soon.

My wife and I are doing a through spring cleaning this year. Since she isn't teaching anymore, I have hauled two truckloads of old text books, teachers files, etc to the dump. Freed up a lot of space. So far, we have finished the pantry, her bedroom, and my bedroom. Still lots of spaces to go, but we are getting there. We have to be really, really careful because the ferrets delight in sneaking into trash bags and it would be easy to haul them off to the dump unannounced. The three "inside" cats are having a good time tearing the plastic trash bags with their claws, so that when I lift the bag it splits and all the junk falls out.  We are dealing with this by putting small amounts in the bags. Easier on the  two of us when it comes to lifting the bags, anyway.

I think I mentioned my son and daughter took a week off and came down to help out here at the place when I was not doing so well.  We sent them back loaded down with cheese, ham, and some canned things. My daughter took some of my books. Mostly about "bugging out" so I told her to just keep them. I'm not displacing come the day but she and my son will have to.  On the other hand, we had a disagreement about her taking some of my magazine collection. I keep those religiously , ordered and indexed. She said it was pointless to have them and not use them. I said I wasn't sure she would take care of them. She pointed out she had taken some of my rare books on the civil war up there, and got them back in good shape. In the end she got her way, as she always does. I have never been able to say no to my daughter and make it stick.





Not surprising, I suppose.  I always wind up doing what her mother wants, The women in Southern families have always been the power behind the throne.








16 comments:

  1. As southern men I think we can both agree a matriarch family structure keeps us in line. If momma isn't happy we know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why the South is that way, because it's largely Southern Baptist, which means old testament based, so you'd think we would have a patriarchal system. But by and large, the family is matriarchal as you say. Maybe it's because women are more inclined to reason things out and not act spontaneously in a rage.

      Delete
  2. A long time back, you mentioned a missing GP 100 (or some other handgun) that you had misplaced in your house and we all joked about the ferrets were arming up for the impending SHTF collapse.

    I was wondering if it ever showed up or perhaps if you think you'll find it during the cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I was going through doing inventory on my weapons and found it in the bottom of a different safe than it was supposed to be in. I have absolutely no recollection of putting it in there at all. Which is scary. :-( Even worse, I had about convinced myself that one of my daughters friends had taken it when she came to visit with unannounced guests a few years back. I thought it was sitting by the downstairs TV under a dishcloth.

      Delete
    2. Good, I guess. I kinda liked the idea of armed ferrets. ;)

      Delete
    3. Remember when you were a kid, you could get little tiny folding knives out of the bubble gum machines? That's what I need for the ferrets. Or some of those cocktail olive stickers that are little swords.

      Delete
  3. Weather is nice here. Just enough rain to keep fire danger down.

    I've 3 daughters and can't say no to them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble with one daughter. I can't imagine having to worry about three.

      Delete
  4. We've just had 10mm of rain - last good shower was in the middle of March. Very grateful for the manna from heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' nice here today. A bit chilly for this time of year. We may go over and walk at the lake in late afternoon, after the tourists have headed back to Atlanta.

      Delete
  5. I've been sorting through my own books lately. I think I'm done for now. I've got about 1/3 of what I used to have. I found good homes for most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges, I took some history books to our library, and they didn't want them. They said what they really needed was paperback romances. Tells you something about the demographics up here.

      Delete
  6. " She said it was pointless to have them and not use them."

    On the bright side, at least she's expressing an interest in reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E has always been self reliant and a good planner. Her mom and brother are not very interested, but she is. She's the one who makes sure that if the two of my kids had to bug out of the city they live in, they would be ready to do so. My son is the one who goes into the supply room, picks out the things he likes to eat, and eats them while he watches tv.

      Delete
  7. My dad once gave me a book that was written a long time ago. It was the oldest book he owned. I wish I knew the date off hand, but I don't. I took it to school to show my history teacher. I returned it. My Dad couldn't find it. He said, "What did you do with it?" I put it on his dresser. He didn't believe me. sure enough it was put there. He called my teacher to see if I left it there. It was put there, but fell off the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the complete Time History of the Civil War. It was publshed in the seventies, has about 60 volumes in it, all primary sources. It's the best I have, and I've got some good stuff including the Broadfoot "History of the Regiments of the Confederate States of America" now out of print.
      I was loath to let her haul off some of the series to her apartment but she does read them and takes good care of them.

      That incident with your fathers book is one of those traumatic things you remember periodically for the rest of your life. Glad it worked out ok and the book was found, so you were exonerated.

      Delete