"Terrorism has once again shown it is prepared deliberately to stop at nothing in creating human victims. An end must be put to this."

Vladimir Putin


Thursday, May 5, 2016

42 degrees F, strong winds, rain coming in tonight.



Yesterday was a very pleasant day weather wise.  We made a grand tour of most of the small towns across Northern Georgia.  My wife found a bed spread she wanted , and some curtains .  She is doing a lot of remodeling in the house and needs this and that to complete her plans for each room.  All of these small towns have shops that sell unique things, you just have to be willing to look long enough to find what you want.  They have some good restaurants, too. So it was a nice day, although we started early and got home just before dark.  Today it's cold and windy, so we are just staying inside and resting.

Towns County, Ga.



I wound up ordering my wife's Mother's Day present on line.  There was a set of cast iron cookware she liked. She has some French cast iron skillets and pots that we got about 30 years ago, but these are more specialized. M likes to cook, and now she has time to do it. We both like cast iron.  As it is with so many things, it behooves you to spend a bit extra and get good quality, brand name cast iron.

There are all sorts of good books about cooking with cast iron, but here are two that will stand you good stead.






This next book is due out this coming August. Should be useful.

 



I watched Fox News Tuesday night.  The little conclave of "duty experts" they assembled voiced the opinion that "due to demographic changes in America" Hillary Clinton will beat Donald Trump in November. Essentially, they believe that the millions of immigrants pouring into the country have changed the basic nature of the culture. True enough.



Hispanics vote Democrat because the Democrats have opened the floodgates and encouraged them to come here . Legal or illegal, it doesn't matter because they vote either way, and they vote for the party of entitlement and largess at the expense of the shrinking middle class.  Blacks vote as a block for the Democrats, because the Democrats treat them as a treasured and protected group who can do no wrong. The rapidly burgeoning Islamic population does the same.  The white vote in the USA is largely split evenly between the right and left. That gives the Democrats a seemingly insurmountable advantage

I plan to vote for Trump because:  
  • The establishment, both left and right, hate him and did all they could to keep him from getting the nomination.
  • He is anti-immigration.
  • He is against government interference in our lives.
  • He believes the federal government is the cause of most problems here, not the cure.
  • He is not beholding to special interests, i.e. not bought and paid for.
  • He wants to protect the borders.
  • He is opposed to further Islamic immigration into this country.
  • He is not a vehement opponent of the 2nd Amendment.
  • He won't nominate liberals for the one or possibly two Supreme Court justices the next President will nominate.
  • He is not a mealy mouthed, whining wimp like Obama is and Hillary would be.
  • He says he will go after Islamic terrorists hammer and tong.
  • He did not throw his campaign manager to the wolves when that lefty reporter tried to frame the guy for "battery."
  • He does not wet his drawers and apologize profusely every time some twit takes exception to something he said.
In short, he's everything that professional politicians are not.  He is uncouth sometimes ,and needs to think before he speaks, but no one is perfect and he can learn those skills.

Some Republicans will either not vote, or will vote for Hillary because they don't like Trump. If she wins ,they deserve what they get. I am not condemning them. I wouldn't have voted for Cruz. But the consequences of voting with the heart instead of the head could be heavy.




I may have already mentioned this, but Midway is selling IMI (Israel Military Industries) 5.56X45 at a reduced price.




420 rounds in the can, $184.95 for FMJ and $194.99 for "penetrator." You have to pay shipping on it, though. Still, with the future looking pretty dim, you may not have many months left to do some serious stocking up. 










30 comments:

  1. You might be interested in one of my links this morning, Harry. They're hunting rabbits with ferrets. It's a UK guy that posted it, so I assume it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still do that a lot in Europe. Have been since the Dark Ages! Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Harry - is the cast iron set "le creuset"? if so, i would kill for them - you're wife will love them! and i wish i could sneak a half a million canadians across the border to vote for trump!

    sending love. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, our "old" cast iron set is Le Crueset. I didn't know the name and I asked M and she immediately said "le Cruset."

      The new set is "Cooks Companion", not as well known but on the same level of quality. (I hope)

      Sorry about the big fire up there in Canada, we have been watching the news and we feel badly for the awful destruction there. I hope the people got their animals out when they had to egress the area.

      It would only be fair if half a million Canadians came down here and voted for Trump, as God knows the Democrats actively collude at getting millions of Mexicans to vote illegally for their candidates. I saved an article about a black woman who worked at a polling station, who was caught letting illegals vote. She got a slap on the wrist, and the local Democratic Party officials threw a big party for her at which she received a standing ovation. Like Hank Williams Jr. said in his song "Mr. Lincoln", I wish I'd made this up but I'm afraid it's true.

      Delete
    2. Harry, Kymber Canada's population is est.36,000,000. I don't know if that would offset the # of illegal's in the United States. They would be More welcome but still short on body's.

      Delete
    3. Harry - cook's companion is just as good...i just have a "thing" for le crueset...being that they are french and all.

      as for the fire - it's the worst in about 100yrs. it's god-awful and i hate looking at the news. however, it does seem that the provincial government called it right and got about 100,000 people out right away and are still getting more out. it may sound strange to americans but whenever something of this scale happens, we call in our military to help out.

      now look Harry, i've managed to scrabble up a half a million canadians - you're telling me i need more??? how the heck am i gonna get them all across the border. too much stress Harry! i can't deal with all of this pressure! bahahahahah! xoxoxo

      Delete
    4. Gary - mooooore stress!!! half a million canadians sneaking in to your country isn't enough? you guys are really screwed!!!!

      Delete
    5. Kymber, nobody knows for sure how many illegals are here, but very cautious estimates are about twelve million. Yes, we are indeed screwed.

      Delete
  3. I like the fact that Trump doesn't whine, back down or apologize. Even though I'm pretty sure he has no clue as to how people like me live, at least he is not showing signs of throwing us under the bus. That's more than I can say for his opponents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Vicki. And I dread with every fiber of my being that idea of Hillary Clinton in office. She is pure, unadulterated evil. If she becomes president, bad things will happen that may even reach out and touch people like me, hidden off in the wilderness as I am.

      Delete
  4. Harry-I love that cast iron cookware set. I know your wife will be thrilled to get it.
    I was a Cruz supporter, but will vote for Trump. Fact is, I would vote for almost anyone, rather than let Hil win the election. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, M picked it out so I can be sure she is getting something she really wants. We have been married so long, and being both frugal Scots Irish by descent, that we would never spend a hefty sum unless we were absolutely certain that we were buying the right thing. I guess it isn't very romantic, but it's how we are.

      I admire your realistic and pragmatic approach. I hope a lot of people adopt it. I suppose I am a hypocrite because I am pretty sure I would just not have voted if Trump had lost the nomination. Not because I had any great issues with Cruise, but because I so bitterly resented the blatant attempts made by the "boss Hogg's" to manipulate the system in order to ignore the voters and please the elite. Maybe when the time came I would have gotten over it and voted, as I detest the Clintons and their followers. I just don't know.

      Delete
  5. SGAmmo has your 7.5 Swiss 20 count boxes.

    K at planning and foresight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kay. Good to hear from you . I got the word about the ammo source from you and another friend, many thanks to you both.

      Delete
  6. What a nice cast iron set! I cooked with cast iron a bit this winter on our wood stove. I will see if my library has any of the cook books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, we cook with cast iron a lot. Especially with the Dutch oven. The books are helpful but there are also many survivalist and prepper web sites which have good information on cast iron. Wood stoves and gas stoves work great with cast iron.

      Delete
  7. I love my cast iron. I've a pile of it in daily use. At one time I'd take anything cast iron someone would give me. We've got so much that I've gotten picky and only take special cookware we don't currently have. Some of my stuff is nothing special, but I've some real treasures too.

    We could get a few more surprises between now and the election. Interesting times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I have acquired bits and pieces along the way. Most of it at a big flea market in North Carolina. My wife likes the nice looking sets for the house, but I have old style cast iron in the apartment and in my store rooms.

      You could be right. I hardly know what to expect when I get up in the morning and turn on the radio.

      Delete
  8. Trump is who he is. I cannot beleive the women who rant about how wonderful Hilary is...this is a woman who accepted her cheating husband for political gain, lies clean and simple and is getting away with it. She could not beat a near unknown when she came up against Obama and now with all the might of the Democrat machine she is not walking away from Bernie...but the thing that scares us is people are such sheep when it comes to voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of your points are well taken. Especially when it comes to why some people vote so mindlessly. How many times did I hear " he black!" after Obama was elected when individuals were asked why they voted for him.

      Delete
  9. We use cast iron a lot too, my husband would like a set like you pictured for things that are more acid like tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This set would be good for that because it has a lining of stick free materiel. Doesn't have to be laboriously seasoned either.

      Delete
  10. The cast iron cookware is awesome! I love red, so that's the one I'd pick out. That stuff lasts forever. I have a glass stove (it's what was there when we moved in). I read that cast iron is too heavy for those stove tops. Dang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a gas range for cooking. I know that the flat, glass ranges are popular but then not many people cook with cast iron these days. I think probably cast iron is too heavy for them, as you say.

      Delete
    2. Cast Iron is not too heavy for glass stove tops.

      What is contraindicated (woo, big word) is banging said cast iron down on glass top. The glass is hardened, thermo-shock resistant, but just can't stand up to having heavy objects dropped on them.

      On the other hand, induction cooktops work fabulously with cast iron. and induction cooktops have the benefit of using less energy than a stovetop.

      I use my cast iron on stove, cooktop, oven, the grill and over/in campfires (cook over coals, not actual fire). The outside may need occasional deep cleansing, but I have a dutch oven I started 30 years ago that is the envy of my peers.

      And nothing cooks southern cornbread like cast iron. Best tip ever: heat cast iron receptacle of corn bread (skillet, oven, specialized pan) in your oven to the cooking temp, put your butter (not margarine) in the pan to melt, add the melted butter to all the other ingredients (already mixed) and then pour everything back into the flaming hot pan. This will insure a really nice brown crust.

      Delete
    3. I just bought my wife a very nice set of cast iron pots and skillets. I have two old Dutch ovens that I cook in myself, and thoroughly enjoy doing so. I'm not much of a cook, but even I can make some tasty meals in a Dutch oven.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the tip on Midway USA's deal. I might have to go buy me a box. I don't know about you, but I would like a little break from all this rain. Took the tractor into the garden and the front wheels sank a foot. Face it, all the Dem's, Progressives, and RINO's are scared that he will change their way of lives and cause them not to be in control, the do as I say, not as I do political elite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a nice rain shower in the afternoon, but these constant storms are wearing me down. When the ground gets too soaked, the next big wind brings trees down all over the place.

      You are absolutely right. They don't care what 8 years of Hillary would do to what's left of the country after 8 years of Barrack Hussein. All they care about is their own gold plated existence.

      Delete
  12. Harry,

    Feral Irishman has a great piece on his site regarding Trump that I agree 100% with that you might like.

    http://theferalirishman.blogspot.com/2016/05/we-just-want-those-raccoons-gone-out-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. I will go take a look at it. I'm fairly well befuddled right now with all that's going on. Sean Hannity, whom I truly dislike, called Trump every name in the book,and went to Indiana to campaign for Cruz. Now, he's saying Trump is a great guy and everyone should vote for him.

      Delete