"There is no doubt that our nation's security and defeating terrorism trump all other priorities."

Arlen Specter

Monday, May 2, 2016

Blase' Enthralled by the color bar.

“Unpledged delegates exist really to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don’t have to be in a position where they are running against grassroots activists,”
Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Schultz in a Salon Magazine Interview.





When you feel hum drum and run down, buy something!  How about this nice Roman Gladius, with scabbard, for $49.00.  You can go out into the garden and lay waste to the evil Goth cabbages or Carthagenian squash!   Budk has furnished me with all sorts of edged weapons I'll never use, but every guy should own a sword or two.


This cartoon was drawn by a ferret friend.  When I load the washing machine, I load it one item at a time. That's the only way to be sure that there isn't a ferret asleep in the basket. Ferrets are odd creatures, if they are asleep you can pick them up, pour them from hand to hand, and put them back in their nest, they'll never wake up.  So it would be entirely possible to get one in the washing machine if you don't exercise extreme caution.  (Ferret tip of the day)



I haven't been sleeping well the last two nights. I think it's the weather, with the thunder and lightning, and the rain and wind .

So I read this book again.  I got it in Fredericksburg, Va on 2 February, 1982. When I came back from Japan in 1981 I was stationed at Quantico, Va for a year, going to a staff school.  I used to go down to Fredericksburg a lot, to the battlefield. 


The book is about the largest  battleship ever built, and how she was sent on a one way mission to attack the American fleet at Okinawa just before the wars end. It's a good book because the Brit who wrote it, himself a former naval officer, spent a lot of time in Japan interviewing survivors. Must have been eerie, knowing you only had enough fuel to get there, and none for the return trip.





This one, I got on 20 March, 1986.  I was two months from leaving the Marine Corps. Living on Emerald Island in the outer banks, and getting every miserable job that came down the pike. Why not, they knew I was leaving so who better to carry the trash?  It's the way it is.

The great thing about this book is that it doesn't just look at military aspects of the period. It is a really good narrative of what happened as Rome fell apart, bit by bit.  I read it again the other night, and I was struck by how many similarities there are between this period and our own.  I am not sure if it's still available, but if you can find a copy and you are interested in where our current flow of events is taking us, this would be a good read.


 I store a lot of water up here.  It's my last resort source, before I have to go to the creek for water. I think I have around 300 gallons in jugs at any given time.  Shouldn't ever need it. As long as I can run the generator, I can run the pump. I can run the generator a long, long time if it doesn't break down.

Someone told me about this book, and that you can download it as a pdf file on line. I'm going to look into that. Water is a major component of any survivalist planning you do, so continually upgrading your plan is a good thing. If the book is worthwhile I'll let everyone know.



Not much to tell today.  If the weather allows we will go over to the lake for our walk today, but that's it. 

18 comments:

  1. Harry - as you know - i read a lot of survivalist/prepper/sustainable bloggers. and it makes me sad - everyone is so concerned about water and they HAVE to be. i think of Dani and the efforts she has gone through in order to store and have enough water. it breaks my heart that some of the preppers i know live in cities and can't store 300gallons of water. i think about people out in the areas of canada and the united states - and they live in drought!!! and then i think of us - we have water coming out of our ears!!! we don't even think about water!!! with our lifetime supply of berkey filters and jambaloney's queer contraption that he built to be able to filter water through 5-gallon buckets in a few hours - and we can run mud water through it if it ever came down to it!!! and we replenish our water with rainwater. and during the winter - we have beautiful fresh snow for water. we have so much water we don't know what to do with it!!!! we have the river and a million streams, we have our beautiful well and a water witch crossed all the land around our house and said we are sitting on a water table! we know this as we have many regular pools of water on our land even on the driest days. and we have runoff from the forest continually running down both sides of our road to the river.

    i wish i could mail people water!

    i am only reminded of the importance of water when i read blogs that have to pay so much attention to water. then i feel sad. i wish everyone could have as much access to water as us. thanks Harry, for reminding people how important water is.

    sending much love as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the principle reasons I bought this land was the super abundance of water and the variety of sources. I use an immense amount of water up here, much of it on the animals so cycling through what I have stored in jugs just happens naturally.

      I gave very serious thought to a desert location, and the issue of water was one reason I didn't go that route although there are others who have managed it splendidly. I remember the old guy on "Where the wild men are, he had a great place out in the desert.

      Living near the river and with the assets you mentioned, water should never be a problem for you two. You have an excellent location and over the years you and J have improved the place significantly.

      You even have a winsome mermaids. All I have here is bears.

      Delete
  2. Actually, there is lots of water in the high desert...you would be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, but people not unreasonably expect top dollar for that, and in 1986 I had to stretch my savings far. I often wish I had found a place out there. There is some ill defined quality of light and space that can't be found in any other environment. Especially at night.

      Delete
  3. I really appreciate my well that overflows 12 months of the year. Solves half my prepping problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water on the property, water that has it's source on the property, that's worth a great deal.

      Delete
    2. Water that only you have the rights to is essential for survival. Having to lease water rights, especially from the Government (The other BLM people) is a sure way to lock the slave shackle around your neck. (Yes, I am a government slave because I have no secure water source.)

      Always secure your water source. Camoflage it, or better yet, have it in a secure building if possible. Protecting it from animal infiltration (wasps and other bugs will kill a well as easily as dropping a dead body into it) and protecting it from weather (freezes, airborne contamination, etc) are benefits of a water source in a secured building. In Medieval Europe (not unlike now, by the way), the only way to survive a siege was to have a protected covered water source. It is also the way the Jews at Masada were able to resist the Roman army for so long.

      Serious preppers will get a reverse osmosis filter system for their drinking water (at least), as that is pretty much the gold standard remove almost everything system. Home systems start at about $150 or so, but you have to stock up on the filters. More expensive systems are better for more polluted water. Won't remove salt out, but will get just about anything else.

      Delete
    3. Water was one of the criterion by which I judged this property when I bought it in 1986. It had ample and multiple sources, and the water tested pure at the time (and continues to do so .)

      As an accountant for an oil and gas corporation over a twenty year period, I worked with mineral rights on BLM leases frequently. You are exactly right with your concerns about any kind of government lease.

      Delete
  4. Water is the one thing my old property had, a real spring that could water my garden and livestock. Good drinking water and SOOOOOO cold.
    Here we are on county water, there is a well and we are in process of cleaning it to have it as a back up source for now. we have to find a good manual pump.

    The weather is making us a tad grumpy too...we have so much to do in the garden and it is too wet....and the grass is getting ready to hay!

    Keep well and pile some laundry for the ferrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, have you checked the Lehman's web page for hand pumps? They have a good range of pumps and prices. I would imagine you might enjoy their catalog, which is very nice and was free the last time I ordered one.

      It's raining here today, so we are probably going to run into town for coffee, then go by the post office. I have stopped using my banks system of sending checks and payments to pay bills because they are messing up the amounts too often now. Seems like nothing works as well as it did, and the deterioration is across the board. Just found out today that our dental insurance will no longer pay for our annual check ups, as it has for years.

      I was feeding one of the ferrets a few minutes ago, then put him down in his old pair of sweat pants he likes to sleep in.

      Delete
  5. Where can I get the Gladius for $49?

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.budk.com/

    Click swords
    Then choose historic swords
    Then choose Roman swords

    There are three gladius type swords to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gladius is a nice home-defense weapon, as it is short enough to wield in the home, but long enough to give the user extra reach over just a knife user. The blade has a good, armor piercing point for thrust work (through heavy clothing, shoes, even thin walls) and the edge is just a brutal chopping cleaver. Big thing with weapons like this and the khukri, machete, or other chopping blade is not to be tentative. Chop through the target. This will set you up for the return stroke(and also conveniently cut through the target). Never-ever-ever just surface cut your opponent, for it will just piss them off.

      ColdSteel, makers of very good modern steel blades, sells a gladius iberius machete (flat blade, rather than a diamond cross-section like the real thing) for a decent amount. Seen them for as low as $30 on the interwebs.

      ColdSteel blades are very strong, keep a good edge, and are usually tactical-cool black, vs pretty-shiny.

      Their Boar Spear is also an excellent blade (very popular amongst the boar-spearers I know) due to it's ability to really handle the shock of contact.

      Delete
    2. I hope I never wind up having to use an edged weapon for defense. I'm pretty well stocked with ammo and arms. But stranger things have happened in human history, and I enjoy the swords I've purchased over the years just for the sake of their beauty. I bought my first set of swords in Japan in 1979, and never looked back.

      Delete
  7. Harry,

    So many people don't truly prep properly when it comes to water and their family. One must have multiple sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of everything. Backups to backups. I'm a strong believer in redundancy.

      Delete
  8. We have really crappy water in Nebraska. We filter the crap out of ours. We collect rain water for our garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky. On the other side of the mountain a company bottles the same water I drink and sells it all over the country. I have hundreds of acres of untouched mountains behind me and that's where my water comes from. On the other hand,my kids in a city up north have to use bottled water for almost everything as the city water in their upscale apartment complex is polluted.

      Delete