Truth.

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

Ariel Durant

Thursday, May 26, 2016

I have to go into town and I don't want to.


 We have to go to town.  On the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend.  Half the population of Florida is already here and the rest of them are on the way.  The stores will be crowded, our pathetic little roads overrun with traffic.

But we ran out of ferret food. The ferrets eat kitten chow. It's all they will eat.

I had plenty stored away, but my wife has been feeding the two new cats the kids brought with the ferret food. So now we have to go buy more.

If you keep X amount of any commodity in storage, and you use it, you have to adjust your records to reflect current stock levels.  There are clip boards in the storage rooms to use for this purpose. Alas, sometimes I get in a hurry and don't update them, and sometimes the wife forgets to do so.


This isn't a major emergency, but the aggravating thing is that events are controlling me, rather than me controlling events.

I'm not ever comfortable with that. But at least both of us have had a painless reminder that procedures exist for a reason. If you don't follow procedures, bad things tend to happen.

Remember the female CIA chief who told her security men to "skip" their normal procedures at Bagram AFB in Afghanistan because "this one is too important."  We all know how that ended.




  Got a new American Survival Guide this week. It has an interesting article by a retired soldier on "get home" kits.  Everybody probably keeps a "vehicle bag" or "truck bag" in case something nasty happens unexpectedly while you are out on the highway.

This particular fellow designed a bag specifically to deal with an event where you need to get home and things are out of kilter.

There's a good article on tactical smoke, and it tells you where you can buy pyrotechnics including military grade smoke grenades.

I have some top flight maritime distress flares, but I can't shoot them off. If they come down in the woods, I could burn half the county out. They were sent to me by a friend, with the idea that I would test them out, but I still haven't figured out how to get away with doing that. I thought about taking them up to the lake, but I am sure if I go out in a boat and shoot them in the middle of the night, it would make a big splash in the newspaper and end unhappily for me if the Sheriff found out who did it. I have found that I do better if I limit my interactions with the Sheriff and his stalwart band.  My wife says it would be like pulling the fire alarm in a shopping mall to see if it worked.  I wish I lived out in the desert like Joel , because then I could do anything I wanted, when I wanted.

But smoke, that has a lot of uses. I have some smoke grenades but they are not as good as these in the article. Years ago, at the intersection of U.S. 64 and Interstate 75, there used to be two big fireworks stores. They didn't just sell fourth of July junk, they sold lots of useful things. I stocked up and still have a goodly stash of pyrotechnic items. But I am always open to improvement.


This is the outfit the article was about.

Enola Gaye Pyrotechnics


Just a word of warning. This is a British company, with American distributors. If you go to the web site, it's a good, well designed place. However, it has some pictures that rotate through on the upper right, and suddenly you are looking at a beautiful English girl attired in a helmet and  not much else. I'm just mentioning it in case you have young boys in the family. The Enola Gaye page might start getting a lot of hits when mom and dad aren't around the computer.


Got an email about this offering from Midway.  I haven't checked the shipping costs yet but on the face of it , seems a pretty good deal.



Well, I have to get ready to go to town. I trimmed my beard last week, and we are only going to the grocery store, so I'm not shaving.  I thought about it, but I've decided "hell,no."




My wife, on the other hand, has fixed her hair and put on nice clothes. Why do women go to so much  trouble to look good for such a mundane activity. Honestly, so much that women do makes no sense to me. I pretty much just go along with the program after all these years.


Thought for the day.


Sure, a tank is great fun til the damned thing breaks down on you!

News link


A typical "whiny little b**ch" article from a left wing source addressing the militia movement.

Everything we learned from embedding with an American Milita.



Anytime an article or news story references the "Southern Poverty Law Center" you know they are spouting the worst sort of Left Wing propaganda.  Their "facts" would make Joseph Goebbels blanch.



30 comments:

  1. Harry, Women our age like to look nice when they go to town. Think back...we used to have house dresses and go out dresses. Also, we don't like to go to town with a guy looking like a bum. Ask her. Today's kids could learn something. WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum. I do go in looking like a bum sometimes. I just put on old cargo pants, a t-shirt, and my fishing vest. I don't shave but about once a week, at most, so I get to looking kind of rough towards the end of the week. Maybe I ought to take more care of my appearance, but if we are just going to the grocery store or something like that it seems like a lot of trouble. If we are going to eat or to a movie I try to look a little better. The worst M ever says is that I need to change my shirt.

      I think she looks nice whatever she wears, but she seem to like getting all gussied up and I don't mind as long as she is ready to go when I want to go. I always ask her if she wants to go to where ever in plenty of time for her to get ready so I don't have to wait. She usually has to wait for me, as we go out the door I remember I can't find my glasses, or my wallet, or the check book, and then we have to look all over til we do!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I am afraid that I am sorely lacking in keeping a running record of what I have on my shelves. I have made the lists, but tend to neglect keeping them up to date. Probably why I ran out of sugar earlier this year. I suppose if I were the only one using food from my shelves, it wouldn't be so bad, but I have children who go shopping from my shelves now and then. As I don't want to be caught short or buy what I don't need because I already have enough, I had better stop being lazy and spend some time updating lists - and be better at keeping them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard to just go get something for a "project" and not list it. I do an inventory ever so often to try to correct that. I don't want to be a paperwork pain, but on the other hand being an accountant is bad training for flexibility in record keeping.

      Delete
  3. We have to go into town tomorrow. The ATVs are back and can legally drive on city streets. Sometimes it's like Road Warrior out there.

    Did you see that Craigslist post that was floating around about a year ago? A guy had a motorcycle listed for sale. "apparently do whatever you want doesn't mean what I thought it means." Poor guy didn't understand wife talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've run into that phenomenon. More when I used to buy a lot of guns, which I don't do now. Where I get into trouble these days is I say I am going to go do this or that on the house, and she says I should wait til my son comes down. Then I say I have to get it done, it can't wait. Then she says fine but she is mad about it. That's not much of an issue these days either, so I usually just cruise along. I think I saw something about that CraigsList incident, it does ring a bell.

      Delete
  4. Hey Harry,

    In response to your last post's. I really like recommend the going back and watching the episodes in the tv show 'Turn' The last episode delt with a Tory that had his pistol confiscated by a British officer and was not to happy about. Some Tories changed their tune I'm sure doing the Revolutionary war.

    Too bad about getting the Ferret food. If you don't mind me just saying this. Just gut up and do it. Leave at the crack of dawn for town and get as much kitten food as you can carry and run for the exit before the 'Floridian Horde awakes' from their slumber.
    One thing about Padre Island. All the hungover, tourista's don't stir from their air conditioned hotel rooms and until at least 10:00 am.
    Those ammo cans of that CCI is good stuff. I got a few of those in my time. CCI is top of line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went on in today to get it done. Wound up buying a lot of "holiday food" for me to grill over the weekend. We don't plan on leaving the mountain til everybody else goes home on Tuesday.

      It wasn't actually that bad at the store and I also got the 16th Annual Shotgun News Special, although now it's called "Firearms News." I went to the gun counter and it wasn't there, and I started to leave. Just as I turned around a guy came walking in to put out a big armful! It was a lucky day for me.

      I left the wife at a shop to look at fabric, then I told her I was going to the post office to get some stamps, and I would come back and get her. But while I was in that part of town I went to the grocery store to get cokes which were on sale 4 twelve packs for $11.00. I also got some hog jowls for the dogs. So as I drove back to the store, I saw her walking down the sidewalk! I thought she was going to be mad because I left her so long but she said they closed up so she thought she would just walk to the post office. It was hot and humid as hades. She got some green fabric to make sheets out of that she wanted so I was not in hot water. We don't have cell phones, we figure we don't need them anymore and it saves about $55 a month, but it would have been nice to have them in this event.

      Yeah, I think I will order a can tomorrow if the shipping isn't too dear. Lots of time you think you are getting a good deal, then when you add on shipping it isn't a good bargain at all.

      I usually wait til a company has free shipping on offer unless what they are advertising is something good, like this .22 LR.

      Delete
    2. Harry, check out Trackfone. We are on the family plan for 2 phones for 20 bucks a month. Nothing fancy but works for us.

      Delete
    3. I don't want anything fancy either. I will look them up. Coverage here in the mountains is spotty but the price is certainly good if they will work here. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  5. Interesting article about the militia. However, even after embedding himself with these guys in Michigan this hipster journalist from Toronto still doesn't understand it. It is clear to me and most thinking, constitutional-loving Americans that the second amendment clearly defines what the militia is. I do sympathize with them, and would probably join them if things continue to decline.

    That said, Timothy McVey never was a militia member. He was barred from becoming so. A bit more research would reveal that the militia has never killed anyone, but the government has killed a few of them without just cause. I know a few Oath-Keepers as well and they are all outstanding people. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, I couldn't agree with you more. Anyone who would reference Morris Dee and his little outfit of Moonbat lawyers in an article clearly is either stupid, or left wing, or both.

      I had a good bit to do with militias in the 1980's and 1990's, because I was associated with a G band shooting program on the old satellite system that was oriented towards them. I went to a lot of the meetings that the producer held with different groups to arrange segments. The only ones I ever met that made me nervous was the Christian Identity people up in North Carolina. They were good people, just operated on a different level than most of us.

      My brother did some good work with the Minutemen on the borders, and I was proud of him for it.

      Delete
  6. Harry wait till the 4th and test the flares at the lake . with all the other fireworks it will just get ooos and ahhhhs. Plus it would be a nice outing for you to.The 5 deadly terms you steal that from papa mike like I did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, that's not a bad idea. Shoot it out there, see how it goes, then depart the pattern before anyone shows up. I just may try that.

      No, I got that from a friend who sends me memes and such for the blog. There are several guys who don't blog themselves, for good reasons, but help me with articles, links, photos, memes, etc. I have not head of Papa Mike. Is he a blogger, and if so can you give me a link? I'll check it out.

      Delete
    2. http://www.papamiket.com/ A daily read for me.

      Delete
  7. I have a neighbor about a quarter mile from us that shoots off fireworks year round. I think it's kind of funny. He's always shooting stuff in general. When I went there last week to trade some tomato plants for their mint, he told me he shot a huge hornet with a bb gun that morning. I suggested he stuff it and mount it over the fireplace. He thought that was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hold my breath until the fourth of July is over. Especially if we haven't had much rain.

      I shoot carpenter bees with a bb gun. I wish they would spin down to earth in flames but it's still fun even without that. Since all my buildings are log carpenter bees are not my friends.

      Delete
  8. Ha, ha! I am not the only one. If I go to Wal-Mart in one town I dress more nicely than when I go to the WM in another town, and then Dollar General up the street (the only store we have), it doesn't matter at all how I look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you sure aren't. I think most women take care about their appearance in public. I guess I can see getting all dolled up if you are single, but if you are married why go to all that effort? I think it's just that you ladies like to look nice, and I am glad you do. I probably should try to at least put on a shirt with a collar when I go to town with my wife.

      Delete
  9. I am with you on the avoiding towns before, especially during and after holidays and these migratory long weekend things! The "Amish viewing" has started here and I notice tourists can be quite rude.....small store...stand the entire family in front of the deli counter and talk about what to do next....complain this store doesn't have their brand of chips.....whine because they can't go back to the hotel and pool.
    Trac-phone is an excellent buy. Straight Talk their bigger brother has some very affordable plans. $45.00 unlimited text and talk. Ralph and I used both before we got here and we needed more data here so we changed but I have to admit I liked the 45.00 or less bill better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our roads are pretty bad, narrow and winding. There are lots of motorcycles up here on holidays, and we just try to stay off the roads.I'm not all that keen to interact with strangers anyway.

      Trac phone sounds good. We were paying about $80 a month for our two phones, then AT&T said they were upgrading the system and our phones would not work on it anymore. They said we had to buy new phones. So we just dropped the service.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a pain in the butt to go out and about for that. It's needed though. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out ok. We bought a lot of "comfort food" and "cook out" food and took care of some other business too. I am cooking ribs on the grill at the house tonight.

      Delete
  11. Harry I'm glad you've learnt to 'go along with the program', very sensible, I can see why you've been married as long as you have!
    Woman like to look nice, it's programmed into us from birth and there's nothing like going out a mess for someone you haven't seen for ages to pop up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirsty, I get some flak from my brothers, who think I am sometimes not as dictatorial as I should be. But I point out that I'm still married and they both got divorced around the 22 year mark. M is a very traditional Southern woman. Her dad was a Texan and her mom is from Mississippi. I want her to be happy. You have to treat Southern women right or you are going to have trouble. I have been thinking about what twoshooz said, about women not wanting to go to town with a husband who looks like a bum. I think I will clean up some and at least shave, wear a shirt with a collar. Even after all these years with M there is still a lot about how she thinks that I don't understand but we get along and that's what matters.


      Delete
  12. You sir need a drone, plain and simple, but I sure some hawk or redneck (not you of course) would shoot it down claiming it was "Commie" My dad does reverse traveling going north. ?? you ask. When traffic goes north he comes back home when folks go south he goes north again. next week it will be Tuesday after all are home he'll head north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, great to hear from you! I lost track of your doings while I was off line. It's strange you mention drones. I just got a magazine on drones and am considering getting a decent one. I couldn't get by with the really cheap ones as a drone would have to fly a good ways to see anything but the top of the forest canopy.

      This used to be a really hard to get to part of the mountains. But now they have improved the main roads into the area and we are covered up with Floridians on major holidays. I try to just stay home when it's like that.

      Delete
  13. Every time I see that nappy headed SPLC guy on TV, I just want to break his jaw. Simply Left-Winged propaganda. I will search out the latest issue of ASG, I wouldn't mind reading that article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a hard time believing the little creep is still around. He's insulted and alienated at least half the male population of the country. I think his karma will catch up with him one of these fine days.
    This issue of ASG was pretty good. I am ordering a few toys from the Enola Gaye outfit.

    ReplyDelete