“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Minutiae of a weekend in the mountains.

mi·nu·ti·ae
məˈn(y)o͞oSHēˌē,məˈn(y)o͞oSHēˌī/
noun
  1. the small, precise, or trivial details of something.





Nor did anything in 2016.   This has been a great weekend. The weather turned nice, with a strong wind, low humidity, and temps in the low 70's.

Other than routine chores, I accomplished nothing particularly positive, nor had any run in's with anyone , or anything.


We went into town, and poked around the stores.  In one of them, Oscar Mayer "Smokies" were on sale for $1.50 a package, normal price here is $2.50.  I love these things. Yes, they are nasty, made out of chicken and pork. But I surely do like them with rice, or potatoes.  I bought 16 packs. I've got two big freezers, and I can keep them cold with the generator for a long, long time if I have to.


I got out a Swedish Mauser Model 1938 and shot it.  While the Swedes made some of these guns through new production, most were cut down Model 1896 rifles, converted as part of a rebuild program before WW2.


Mine was originally built as a model 1896 in 1915.  When that rifle left the factory, World War I was in it's second year.  My grandmother was 10 years old.  Manfred von Richthofen was not yet a fighter pilot.  You can't own these guns. You can just take care of them for a time, then someone else will get them and it will be their responsibility to see they march on into the future safely.


My wife and I went out to the park and we ran into an Australian couple.  They are rare birds here.  There's an Australian lady who works at our Home Depot, and another who works at the Lowes in the next county.  As far as I know, that's the resident population of Australians. These folks were making the grand tour of the U.S. and had a nice truck and camper rig.  I never made it to Australia, because I was stupid and went to the Philippines every time I got a weeks leave while I was stationed in Asia. But I have some Australian friends and I worked with the Australian military occasionally. I like Australians. All the ones I have met were always pretty stout hearts, and no pretense about them. This guy and his wife were shoving off for the Northeast , to see Maine and the area up there. Hope they make it home ok after their tour.  I warned him not to stray off the freeway into the wrong part of town when passing through our cities. 

Nothing earthshaking, but like Kymber I try to record what we've been doing, as a sort of journal. It's fun to write and gives me a record if I need to check on when something occurred. 






Better order soon. I hear they are selling out fast! ;-)







17 comments:

  1. It's been cold and wet here in Hampton Roads, it's been going on that way now for most of the Month of May. Looks like we might be hitting a dry spell this week.

    I hope to get out to the range this weekend for Field Day to get my service hours in. We police the range and cutting back all the winter growth on the berms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I volunteered once to go out and mark the outer boundaries of our range by putting up little metal signs. It was August, hot as blazes, and there were no trails out alongside or behind the berms so you just had to push through the heavy undergrowth. I never made that mistake again!

      Today looks like another great day here. It's about ten in the morning, cool right now but The Weather Channel says it will be hot this afternoon, near ninety. So anything I need to get done, I need to do before early afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. As I enjoy reading the posts on yours and my other internet cronies. Keeps me from getting bored up here, especially in winter.

      Delete
  3. I would love to see Australia! I haven't run into many here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have taken a MAC (military airlift command) flight from Kadena AFB on Okinawa down to Australia on any Saturday for $10.00, and come back the same way. But no, I always went to Subic Bay, and came back broke and physically ruined every time. Didn't keep me from going back though.

      Now I wish I'd gone to Australia at least half the time, but hindsight, well, you know what they say about that.

      Delete
  4. Harry - i love to read about your daily mountain minutae. i think a majority of us have blogs that just record our lives and i think a lot of people are interested in seeing what other people are doing, how they are living their lives and my favourite thing is seeing pics of other people's environments, homes, farms, gardens, lakes, etc.

    i worked with a lot of australian military guys when i was in the military - canada and the aussies have a great history of being the first ones sent in prior to sending in any "real british" troops (both WWI and WWII). our militaries have great respect for each other.

    but when i worked for FINTRAC, i met the most awesome tasmanian devil in the world! he came from a small village in new zealand, never finished high school, worked as a guard at a bank, put himself through law school and ended up becoming a consultant for the UN's money laundering initiatve. he used to come out with me on smoke break (he didn't smoke - he just came out with me to talk) and we would laugh about what the UN paid him per diem - in american dollars!!!! and then when FINTRAC sent me to Australia to be on a conference panel at AUSTRAC, i asked him to tell me all about Sydney. he shrugged and said it looked exactly like ottawa - all the same stores, all the same restaurants, all the same everything except that the trees were different. man, what a let-down Sydney turned out to be. yes, i went to the opera house, yes i went to bondi beach (our beach here is much more beautiful to be honest....and a heck of a lot cleaner!)...but other than the trees - Sydney looked like ottawa. i wish i could have had enough time to do some touring around throughout australia but was only there for a week and had the conference everyday. so, i've been to australia - but i didn't really see anything. sigh.

    oh well enough of my blather eh? sending much love to you and yours, as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, sorry you fell for the "Bondi beach scam" it really is pretty average. Mind you your friend was a Kiwi so he can't be trusted to give you an unbiased opinion about Sydney!

      The best beaches and countryside are down my way in the "Shire" as it is known, only 45 minutes from the city centre. All the way down the south coast from the Royal National Park to Wollongong, Kiama, Nowra and so on is some spectacular natural scenery. Your slack Aussie friend will send you some pics of his travels down that way. (I am going to have to look up Ottawa on google now!)

      Delete
  5. Kymber, I envy you having made the trip. I don't think at this stage M and I are really up for a 22 hour flight, and I don't think we would be comfortable leaving the place for so long but I sure would like to go. Who knows, anything is possible.

    I'm trying to get things so settled here that there isn't anything "unusual" to write about. Just a normal quiet existence suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry,

    I love your view out on to the mountains. Pure quiet, and not a person insight, my kind of living :-)

    Aussies are great peeps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That top picture was taken on the Appalachian trail just above my place. I like to go up there with the dogs, and walk out a ways where you can see a long distance on either side of the ridge.

      Australians are good folks. I would not mind living in Australia. I have a friend who lives there, and he and his wife travel all over the country. He sends me some great pictures of the animals there. I want a wombat!

      Delete
    2. G'day Harry,
      They are a good pet if you raise one from a baby, mind you they can be destructive. They are natural tunnellers and dig huge burrows that a child could crawl down, when you get a lot together their burrows can cover a whole hillside. When you finally make it down here for a visit i will take you to a river valley that has literally hundreds of wombats living in it.

      Delete
    3. Well, they sound pretty much like big ferrets. I wouldn't mind taking them out to the meadow and letting them dig, as long as they didn't tunnel away and escape!

      It's not impossible M and I could get over there. If G and E would come back here to live, I would have the freedom to do whatever I want. And with crime creeping closer and closer to the apartment complex in the city where they live, I think they are at least open to considering the move now.

      Delete
  7. I love the placard. :) And I would love to go to Australia if I had the chance. They are much more advanced in some aspects of self-sufficiency than we are in the States. We have too many critters now, and too little money, to do much traveling anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, M and I share your issues with travel. I'd have to take the ferrets with me, because Jet needs his medicine twice a day. I guess I could put out enough food and water for everyone else to get by for a couple of days, but I can't get anywhere other than just down to the beach in that amount of time. I need my kids back here to watch the place.

      Delete
  8. Not doing much of anything sounds great to me today. I'm so tired. The boys had a dentist appointment at 7 AM this morning. I was pushing them out the door. They ate breakfast so S L O W L Y. Mica lost 2 molars, so he's finding it hard to chew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rest for the weary. I can remember loading my two kids up in the jeep for the hour long journey to the country where my wife and I worked. The kids went to the school she taught at. Since she had to be at work by 7:00, we left the house at 5:45. The kids slept on a quilt in the back. I'm glad those days are over!

      Delete