Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Big storm came through. Cat had kittens. I need some surplus 7.5 Swiss. Mailbox destroyed again.


We had our much anticipated thunderstorms roll through last night.  Plenty of lightning, thunder and rain.  The power was on and off during the night.

Checking the scanners this morning, lots of trees down on the roads. The top half of the county is without power, though unusually ours was not out long.

A great many trees fell on fences. Plenty of livestock took advantage of the opportunity to see if the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.   The deputies are out finding owners and rounding up horses and cattle who are in the roads.

 Apparently "the brown cow" got out. She must be the Houdini of the local bovine community since she's clearly known to all the deputies on duty at the moment. Lots of advice being offered to the poor fellow who is trying to round her up. Bad radio discipline, the Sheriff will not be pleased.

Essentially we seem to have escaped relatively unscathed up here. I need to caveat that statement with the observation that I haven't been down the jeep trail , and it would not surprise me to find some chain saw work awaiting me along that stretch down the mountain.




One way you can tell Spring has arrived. The mailboxes down on the hard surface road are destroyed. It's like the return of the swallows to Capistrano. Happens every year. I think this was an accident since only three of the boxes (including mine) were hit, and two were not.  Somebody cut in too close on the corner.  They didn't bother to leave a note, just kept on going. Mine is getting old anyway so this year I will just replace it instead of bending it back into shape with pliers.


When the kids came home in April, they brought two cats that needed a place to live.  This is "Maya." She was assigned guard duty in the shop.  Yesterday I went in to feed and water the two shop cats, and there was what I first thought was a rat in the potty box. But when I looked closer, it was a kitten. It looked dead to me.

I went and got my wife. She is in charge of events of this sort.  M picked up the kitten and said it was still alive. We looked around and found another behind the reloading bench and another under a set of shelves. We had no idea Maya was pregnant. She must not have either because she was running all over the shop, knocking things over and screeching.

My wife took the babies inside and I had to carry Maya.  M got the kittens cleaned up and in a towel on the heating pad.  Then she cleaned up Maya and gave her canned cat food (serious luxury rations, used only when a cat is sick, or pregnant, or when I can sneak out a can to one of the old Tom's I like.)

We called my daughter to give her the good news. E is really the duty expert on animals in the family.  She said there had to be at least one more kitten. I went out and listened, and sure enough, kitten squeals were coming out from under the hot water heater. Possibly the most difficult place in the entire shop to get under.  Got the kitten out after much difficulty and swearing.

Once Maya was settled down with the kittens, we pulled out the kitten supply box. Horrors! No powdered cat milk. M was sure there had been half a can after the last litter. I knew I had mixed it up and given it to ancient "Cream" the one eyed, because he likes it. Then I  forgot to buy more.  I suggested we go on into town and get some, and pick up a pizza while we were there.  So we did and now mother and kittens are fine.  She's off to the vet once she recovers, and so are her female progeny when they are old enough. I don't bother to get the males fixed, because it would be pointless. There's a steady stream of feral males passing by the barn, so what's the point?




And by the way......
.
If anyone sees surplus 7.5 Swiss for sale, please let me know. I have ordered some Boxer primed new production, but I'd like to have more surplus so that if I have to leave the area in a hurry and can't police up the brass, it won't matter.  The surplus stuff is Berdan primed. (For those that don't know, most Americans don't have the tools to reload Berdan primed brass.)


Load up with Boxer at home, but load Berdan primed for those times when you are on the road. Waste not, want not.

Or Chattanooga.




  It's just good common sense, like wearing medical or soft leather gloves when loading magazines for your concealed carry rig so there's no fingerprints on the brass. Besides, think of how bemused the police will be when they start surveying the crime scene and find lots of 7.5 Swiss cartridge cases.












22 comments:

  1. Glad you saved the babies. Had that happen with a Collie dog. Penned her up in the house as it was the middle of winter. She got out - had three pups on my sofa and scattered half a dozen all over the house. Lucky I found them all. That was her first and last litter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get my girl dogs spayed as soon as they show up at the house. Cats aren't much trouble but dogs are a different matter. I've had as many as five dogs up here at one time, and they inadvertently create a lot of work for a fellow, even in the middle of the forest.

      Delete
  2. Cap and ball revolvers don't leave brass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. They're nice looking,too. But I'd have to carry at least two in Chattanooga. Very stylish though.

      Delete
  3. "Powdered Cat Milk"??

    Such a thing really exists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's for kittens when the mom won't or can't feed them.It's like baby formula for cats. The liquid stuff in a can is better, but harder to find and more expensive.

      Delete
  4. Heard about a fellow that kept having his mailbox bashed in by kids with a baseball bat as they drove by. He filled it with cement, the perp wound up with a broken arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had mine bashed in on purpose but usually it's "flat landers" driving way too fast on the single lane, twisty road the boxes are on.

      Delete
  5. Wow you had a time of it. We keep evaporated milk around for all sorts of emergencies. Ralph is trying to settle a feral cat in our tobacco barn. We need the mouse control although the Buckeye chickens are trying their best.
    I hope your law enforcement are better at dealing with loose stock than some are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that our Sheriff's Department spends more time doing that than anything else.

      We use evaporated milk too, but for some obscure reason my daughter says not to give it to kittens. So we get the special milk for them, either liquid or powdered. They seem to thrive on it. Tonight the mom is feeding them on her own, so she must be getting used to motherhood.

      That cat will come around if you feed him/her and talk nice to it without approaching it. When it trusts you it'll come over and rub against your leg and you will have a friend for life. You probably know that already though, you are more at home on a farm than I would be!

      Delete
    2. Powdered milk is cow-milk based, which is very hard for kittens to digest, and does not have all the nutrients needed.

      Canned liquid goat milk is better, as it does have the essentials, but it is overall more expensive and hard to come by.

      Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR, yeah that is one of the actual names) is mostly dried goat milk with a few other essential things added. Mix it like it says for newborns, add some baby rice for 1-2 week olds, and you can start adding human meat baby food into it until weaning.

      For kittens not doing well, or who are lethargic, you can add a few drops of corn or maple syrup to it as a pick-me-up.

      Nutrical, which is a nutritional paste that comes in a toothpaste tube container, is also great as an additive to KMR. I think you, Harry, already use this on your ferrets.

      I know, two months late posting, but I just caught up to May on your blog and hit something (besides medieval history) that I really know about.

      Delete
    3. I don't think there is anywhere up here in the mountains that sells goats milk in a can. I could get some from people I know in a bottle.

      We use the kitten milk replacement, which is often available in town at the local grocery store. I have never heard of adding maple syrup or corn syrup, thanks for the tip.

      Yes, I use Nutrical with the ferrets. I also give them a supplement that comes in a green tube, can't remember the name off hand. VitaCal or something like that.

      I don't mind your commenting on any post that interests you. I might miss the comment if it's an old post, but I am careful to go back and read the comments list and to try not to overlook any.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Harry for adding the additional cats to your family and taking such good care of them. We had a mama cat come up last year. She was a stray, but knew she had kittens somewhere. She was half-starved. We fed her and eventually, she brought her 4 kittens up. We found homes for 3 of the kittens, but kept mama and one baby. They have turned out to be the best cats. Of course, we had them spayed and neutered. Glad you came through the storm o.k. We had bad storms last week with tornados and flooding. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, we have lots of room here and my family are all animal lovers so there is no telling what animals will be in residence at any given time. We even had a peacock come out of the forest one day. I never have figured out where he came from.

      I like people who are kind to animals. They tend to be good people all around. People who are not usually are just bad folks in general.

      Delete
  7. Nice that you were able to save the kittens - cute little things, really good for the blood pressure to watch them at play. I hope they get along with the ferrets.

    SGAMMO claims to have the Swiss Gp11 ammunition in stock - $240 a case of 480 rounds. Here is a link to it.

    http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/480-round-case-75-x-55-swiss-gp11-174-grain-ball-type-ammunition

    Hope this helps - I'm a fan of those K31s myself - smoooooth actions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip. The price is a little high for non reloadable ammo but that's a function of scarcity I suppose. I will try to place an order.

    Right now the ferrets are banned from the room the kittens are in, but when the kittens are big enough to play we will introduce them. The ferrets are jovial souls and get along with just about everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry,
    This is that time of year when rain and severe storms roll through. Glad to hear there wasn't too much damage from the storm. Kittens, congrats!!!

    We used to have our mailbox constantly busted up in the winter from the snow plows.

    We appreciate all the info on gun ammo, take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty typical weather for this time of year. Turning hot and humid now though. Early for that.

      Delete
  10. harry you got to watch this to you it is personal as well as politics. http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=51fe948515b4 it is admiral Lyons speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if I can pull it up. Kindle makes it tough some times.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations?? I love kittens but we have not had any in a long time since we get the females fixed too. Your cat looks like one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to prevent additional kittens by having all the females spayed, but sometimes we get kittens anyway. Then they just work themselves into the community here. Cats are valuable animals here as they kill snakes and rodents that could get into the stored feed.

      Delete