Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, August 4, 2016

A Rumble of Rolling Thunder in the distance.



Wire Note to all: I just found some comments in the spam folder. They go back at least to June of this year. I have no idea why they got in there. I published them but now I have to go back and find them in order to respond.  So at least I know where some of those missing comments went.



I wonder how I got everything done when I was still working. I can't get everything done now that I have all day to do it.

Heavy rain and loud thunder this afternoon, with some powerful lightning. I was at the lake doing my walk when it came through. When it started I was at the far end of the lake, where there is no shelter, so I just had to get under a tree. It was either that or stand on the dam and be the tallest thing next to the water.


Here's a picture of Percy, the new addition to the compound on the mountain and it's merry band. He and Spike had baths today.  I take two basins, both with warm water. I wash them in one, then rinse them in the other. Today they had ferret shampoo with aloe.  Both ferrets like to bath. They just kind of float in the water awhile, then they get shampooed and rinsed. I dry them off with a towel, and they immediately run over to their fluffy blanket and rub themselves on it.


For awhile, until they dry off and fluff back up, they look a little bit like giant rats.



This is Ton Ton MaCoote in his milk crate. It's not big enough for him but he likes it. His crate is on a shelf in the computer room, and while I'm working on the blog, or paying bills, or whatever he is right behind me watching every move.


These are the four "in house" kittens.  My wife brought down one of my daughters cats from up North in the Spring.  We didn't know it but she was already expecting.  These are her children.

The short gray hair is Penrod, named after the mischievous character in the Penrod Schoefield books. He lives up to his name.  The long haired gray is Beorn.  The black kitten is Bastet,  after the cat headed Egyptian goddess that protected women. The stripped Tabby is Ceolwine, which is a common Anglo-Saxon name for women during the dark ages. My wife named Penrod and I named the rest.

Our vet always gives me a hard time about the animals names.

It's been a long day.  I hope tomorrow will be a bit more sedate. I don't have plans to go anywhere other than to walk down to the waterfall.  The lake will be overrun with tourists so I won't walk there tomorrow. The trails down to the waterfall should be empty though.






 I like to sit out in the shop and listen to the radio while I smoke my pipe.  I enjoy listening to Rush Limbaugh ( I know his quirks, but I like him and I learn a lot about what's going on.)  I have an old short wave in there as well that I listen to sometimes if I am out there at night.


1.1 miles around the lake. Most of it is shaded.



One of my trusty Ishapore Enfields in 7.62X51.  This is one of my shooters. I got two of the immaculate rebuilds from Gibbs Rifle Company when I bought three "shooter grade" guns like this one. I don't shoot the unissued condition guns. They are refinished, so they didn't have much collector value back in the 1980's, but today people aren't so picky about that.  Makes a good working gun though. I have one sitting in the corner down here in the computer room, just in case.








I got this link from a friend. It's from August 4th.  Just as we all knew and have been saying for years, ATF has been violating the specific legislative directions of Congress, and keeping the results of background checks. I'm not worried about it because as a concealed carry permit holder, I can buy guns without a NICS check. I just show my permit when I fill out the yellow sheet, and that's it. But if you have undergone a NICS check, you are tied to possession of that specific weapon by type and serial number. No one will be surprised except those who were stupid enough to trust the government.

I doubt there were many of those people.





Thought for the day:








24 comments:

  1. Sadly, all my guns were lost in that tragic septic system accident a few months ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that. Be glad to swear to it, too. I expect many such calamities will occur after the first part of November.

      Delete
    2. In reality, B has all his weapons buried under the pile of pig poop from his hog farm. But keep it secret!

      Delete
  2. Mine were sold during the first buying panic at a great profit. I even have the signed documents from that fellow that had a sudden heart attack a few months later, really sad.....I'm gonna miss those guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traded all of mine for crack cocaine. Then I smoked it all, or snorted it, can't really remember....

      Delete
  3. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    My guns were lost at sea while shark hunting off the coast of Atlantis:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to meet Percy and the cats! I'm glad everyone is getting along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a pistol. Runs me ragged. I never saw a ferret so anxious to be carried around. I dare not take him outside until the family gets home, as he could just leave me in the dust if he got off the leash. I need my son to be home to grab him if that happens.

      Delete
  5. The picture of cat in crate made me smile. The pair of cats we have also enjoy 'cozy spaces' when finding napping spots. It doesn't have to have high walls either, a cardboard box with short walls that contain is sufficient for them to feel comfortable, at least with ours.

    Nice bolt gun. I regret on passing on past Enfield buys. My maternal Grandfather had one of those (in original round of course) from way back in Great Depression years. Not sure how he acquired it. This, a Mossberg .22 and single shot 12 were the entire gun battery he owned.

    Thanks for the post sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are strange creatures. I have never really been a cat person, more of a dog person, but I do like cats and my wife and daughter love them, so we have always had one inside the house cat. The outside cats are working animals, keeping snakes and small rodents out of the barn. I really am attached to my ferrets most of all, but have only been having ferrets as companions for about ten years or so.

      The Ishapores are good guns, despite all the scuttlebutt on the internet to the contrary. They were built as 7.62X51 guns, using a higher grade of steel to allow the receivers to take the extra pressure. I'm a big Enfield fan and have a good many of them. The only place that still sells British .303 surplus ammo I can find is Midway, and so I reload most of my .303 though I buy a can or two when it's on sale. I bought several cases of the Pakistani British .303 in the 90's when it was common, but it's my "war reserve." It is brass cased, corrosive, and berdan primed, but it gets the job done.

      I would say a good Enfield, a .22 and a 12 gauge make up a pretty decent package. You have the basics covered with those.

      Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. Well, you know there are other options as well.
    http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean building your own? I read all those articles about doing that in Firearms News. Don't you still have to register the receiver?

      Delete
    2. The only part that is legally a firearm on the AR is the completed receiver. Same applies to AKs. ergo the de-miled AKs you can buy have the receiver cut up. The 80% AR receivers that have yet to be have the trigger group housing milled out are not a firearm and can be shipped directly to you without going through an FFL. So long as you are not forbidden from owning a firearm, under federal law you are allowed to build your own for personal use. You may not have anyone else build/mill or complete the lower for you, nor are you allowed sell it or transfer it to anyone else. Some states like the People's Republik of Kalifornia and a couple others may require to register it. But generally no.
      Here is another inexpensive one that won't hurt to bad if you mess it up in the learning process.
      http://www.eparmory.com/Polymer-80-Lower-Receiver-s/1881.htm

      Delete
    3. I'm just going to buy what I want and to hell with the government. I don't have your machining skills or equipment, so me building one is not on. That business about not being able to transfer the gun is a deal breaker too from my point of view because it sounds like I couldn't pass it on to my kids.

      Delete
    4. I thought you said you'd bought your kid one of them 80% lowers as a birthday gift. He sure did a nice job of completing it ;-) The point is they are a 100% legal home built firearm. And no one knows it exists. You just can't go down to the gun shop and sell it. All you need is a hand drill and a Dremmel tool. If you cal walk and chew gum at the same time you can do it. Here is the general idea.
      https://youtu.be/N-FTZTiJ37c
      The rest of the components are direct buy as well.

      Delete
    5. No, I don't remember ever saying that. Are you sure you weren't under the influence of the black lotus blossom and dreamed it?

      I guess I could do that, but I've got two already and that should do me.

      Delete
  7. I love your animals' names. They are so creative. Percy seems like such a great addition. I never knew that ferrets liked to take baths.

    It has been raining here for days straight. And last night we lost power too. Too many saturated tree roots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Percy is a really fine little ferret and a lot of fun. Plus Spike was still really upset over Jet passing away, they had been together their whole lives. Now he seems to feel better.

    Ferrets like to bath in most cases. When I had 7 I used to fill the bath tub with about 3 inches of warm water and let them wade in it. They all had a good time. Took three towels to dry them off when they got out. It's good for their skin as long as you don't put shampoo or soap on them more than once every week or so.

    Power outages here are fairly common, between the storms and the high load on the antiquated grid. We have rain most afternoons but only for a few minutes. I guess it isn't enough to stave off the drought.

    I wish I could go to that bookstore you wrote about. I used to go to Foyles in London every time we went to England. It must be the biggest book store in the world! I could always find new books on the Roman Army that I didn't even know existed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry - did you get my previous comment? i went to leave a comment to B above and it seemed like my comment to you disappeared??? i'll check back as i didn't finish my comment to you.

    didn't get a chance to send you love or tell you the sad tale of the great fire in '79...we lost all of our weapons in the fire. it was terrible. and we even reported the loss. bahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber the only comment that was waiting from you today was the one about +1000 to B. There wasn't anything else. I don't know what happened to it. I went and checked the spam folder, just in case, but there was nothing there. Can you redo it? I don't want to miss it. If it was in my email I would have been able to do a cut and paste but there wasn't anything there.

      Delete
  10. no worries Harry - i just wanted to say that i loved little Percy and would love to have little pets to bathe. i am so happy that Spike and the kittens have a new buddy! and i love all of th ekittens names and know where they came from.

    but again....about that terrible fire in '79...we lost alllll of our weapons. don't know how we'll replace them - sniff.

    bahahahah!

    i love seing pics of your pets, your land and landmarks and pics of you, too. when is M back? any news on the kids moving home?

    sending much love as always. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids and M will be home on the 15th. We are going to discuss long term plans for the whole family while they are here. We may all wind up moving.

      The animals keep me busy but they are fun so it's worth it. It's strange, isn't it, how so many have suffered these accidents with their property in these troubled times. ;-)

      Delete