"Terrorism has once again shown it is prepared deliberately to stop at nothing in creating human victims. An end must be put to this."

Vladimir Putin


Saturday, October 15, 2016

A really good post on a friends blog. Twenty Mile Adventure Run on the Appalachian Trail.



I always try to get something positive out of every day.  If I do, even some small and relatively unimportant achievement, I can sleep well at night. But if I don't, I feel badly about it.  It's not just that I'm older now.  Even when I was a young man, I had the feeling that life is short, and there aren't days to be wasted.

I have a friend who writes a blog about lots of different things. Never political. She's a mother, a wife, works a job, and lives on a mountain farm.  She's a big reader, and she's a long distance runner.

I saw this post today, and I thought, "that's so good, I know others would enjoy it too." So I am putting a link here to it.  Just something about it, made me feel lighter in spirit.


Two Bears and the cubs.


It's a story about running on the Appalachian Trail, and seeing the bears.

I never ran on the trail, but I sure used to hike parts of it. I live just a few miles below it.












6 comments:

  1. I thought of your Oregon family when I saw this video of storms hitting the northwest. There may not need to be an earthquake to have your mom be in a dire situation with the storms that are currently hitting and will hit the northwest coasts of Washington and Oregon. That said, my MIL called me the other day to tell me how the battery lanterns I give out every other Christmas had come in handy when her retirement home lost power the other night. She put one in each room of her apartment and it more than enough light to chase away the darkness.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9Ubvn5YPY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good idea to have a basic level of food, water and equipment no matter where you live or how old you are. No sense letting things be harder than they have to be, and just a little forethought can go a long way.

      It's good she had the lantern. We have power failures here frequently, often with no discernible cause. But for people who don't have to deal with the issue often power loss can be stressful.

      Delete
  2. My Dad has a Glock when hes outside up north, just because of the bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I fired over the heads of a mother bear and her
      cub up here once. They were completely unimpressed. I had to get the forest service to come trap them in a "Catch em' alive trap. They took them to an isolated forest in Tennessee and released them.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, thanks for sharing! There is something a little magical about the AT whether you run it or hike it or backpack it. Those are some big icicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, when I was younger and my son was still at home, we explored I in the forest a good bit. We also hiked from Neals Gap to Hog pen Gap, it was a beautiful hike and easy for my wife to pick us up and drop us off. I don't do that anymore but your post brought back a lot of good memories. I have to go in the hospital for a couple of days this week and I was feeling a little low, but thinking about the trail picked me up. It's a total non - event, going to the dentist is worse, but I dread hospitals. 😱

      Delete