"There is no doubt that our nation's security and defeating terrorism trump all other priorities."

Arlen Specter

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A little rain



We had a little rain.  Not much.  Just overnight, steady showers. It was welcome, but not a lot of help with the drought. I don't know about the fires. I can't smell them outside but I haven't checked the fire maps on line yet.

I tried to buy a new computer during "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" but wasn't able to find one I wanted. There were several I tried to buy, but after tediously and laboriously filling out the orders, the screen would say "on line purchase out of stock" or something like that. Then it would suggest a different computer that cost three or four times as much. After trying Target, Best Buy, QVC and Evine , and having that happen each time, I just quit.  I also noticed that most of the affordable computers that still used Windows 7 or 8 were "refurbished." Thanks, but no thanks. There's a reason they had enough of a particular model to make it cost effective to rebuild them. The reason is that they were garbage to start with.

My son is getting a root canal today. I will be glad when my daughter calls and tells me it is all over and went well. I hate that for him. But it has to be done or the result will be an abscess. Many times worse than getting it fixed before hand.

I bought two boxes of .45 ACP yesterday, for $14.95 each. FMJ, boxer primed, brass cased. They only had two boxes or I would have bought more. We went into town to go to the library after I finished spending the rest of the day getting the place ready for the rain. Could have spared myself the effort in the end.

Fiocchi makes the Perfecta line of pistol ammo.  Good stuff, and very inexpensive.



I have also been buying some Aluminum cased .45 ACP when I can't find any of the brass cased reloadable ammo at a reasonable price. My thought is this. I can load the .45 into a carry gun. It cycles as well as brass cased, throws the same bullet the same speed, and I probably won't be hanging around to pick up my "brass" if I have to use the carry gun.

Blazer has been around a long time. I have a couple of cases of it out in the shop, that I bought years ago.  What I'm buying now is Federal, as the Blazer disappeared from this area a long time back and you don't see it anymore.



I don't often make large quantity purchases of ammo anymore, unless I see a good special on line. But I do pick up a box or two regularly and squirrel it away. Must just be force of habit, because I sure don't need any more.


History Channel has the whole ten part series "Doomsday, 10 Ways the World Will End." on their web page. I sign on using my Direct TV code, and I can watch them on the Kindle. Haven't been watching a lot of tv lately, but sometimes late at night I do like to watch an episode of this or that when I feel like it.


The best episodes so far have been on super volcanoes, nuclear war, and  solar storms (EMP). Some of the guests are very good, like the fellow who wrote "One Second After." But they have this obese, bullet headed paleontologist with lots of ear rings on most of the shows and he irritates me. Even so, it's a good series.

I will say, though, that whoever is writing the episodes doesn't really understand things like EMP. For instance, they have a scenario where a big solar flare hits earth, wipes out the power grid, but everybody is still tooling around in their modern cars. The "survivalists" in that episode are shown having a big barbecue under party lights as off in the distance, Denver burns. They have electricity, intones the narrator, because they have solar power. I always thought an EMP big enough to totally destroy the grid would wipe out maw and paw Kettles solar panels, inverter, etc out on the farm. Apparently not, if you take this as gospel.

But hey, it's still worth watching and there are some things on there I never thought about. For instance, that nuclear power plants would start going off once they ran out of fuel to run the cooling of the fuel rod pools. Not good for me, there are three nuclear power plants up around Chattanooga. Built long after I settled here, but there's little consolation in that. 

Well, time to go up by the fire and sit in my big chair. I have a book I'm struggling through, and I'd like to finish it today.

Hope all's well out there for everybody.




24 comments:

  1. It seems that ALL people who make films insist on making them about subjects on which they're mostly ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think, wouldn't you, that they'd have someone who knew something about the subject review their scripts? The guy who wrote One Minute After, (Foerschen or something like that) was on the same show. Maybe History Channel didn't care as much about being accurate as they did about"high drama." They weren't that way when they first started up but a lot of their programming is poorly researched sholck now.

      Delete
  2. I have been buying the Perfecta .223 for a while now, 15$ a box of 50 count. That's 30 cents a pop. Same as the steel cased Tula stuff but the price can be amortized as you can reload the brass cased Perfecta. The aluminum case 9mm Federal sells at Wallyworld for 10$ a box of 50 count. So that's real good value. Seem to cycle well in my SW9VE. About as cheap as I can reload if I use store bought jacketed bullets. With my own cast pills I can get down to about 6 cents a shot. But like you say the aluminum case stuff is handy if you are in a situation you can't collect your brass.
    As for computers my laptop died back in September so I bought a new HP at Best Buy. The model is HP15-AC143DX. it was 230$ out the door. Seems miles better than my old one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Fiocchi, I often buy their specials where you get X number of rounds, in the box, in an ammo can. I especially like their shotgun ammo. The Perfecta is cheap but like all their stuff of good quality.

      I haven't done much reloading lately. My family has been so embroiled with Doctors and Dentists the last few months I've been dealing with all that and getting all aggravated. I'm afraid to try to reload when I'm having a high blood pressure day for fear of making one of those miniscule mistakes that blows your face off.

      Best Buy had some good deals. My son recommended them, I would never have thought of them. In fact, I thought they went out of business. But when I tried to buy from them it did the" on line purchase out of stock" thing. I guess I will wait a few days and see if they have some in.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes imagine you have more bullets than a small third world country squirrelled away somewhere out in those mountains!
    Wishing you some more rain. Shame you couldn't have had some of ours the other day, I'm still splashing through the puddles a week later ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kirsty. I have been stockpiling ammo and components since 1986. I used to shoot a lot, but these last few years I haven't so much. For one thing, the old battle rifles I like the best will beat you to death with their recoil.

      But it's o.k. because I always figured my son and daughter and their future families would fort up here.

      We had some rain last night and have had some showers tonight. Eastern Tennessee is still burning and there was a lot of damage to Gatlinburg, where a lot of homes and businesses burned. I don't know about our two big fires, I have gotten apathetic about it and haven't been checking. Guess I need to get motivated and do that.

      Delete
  4. A dissent: Ii recently bought a laptop explicitly for school use. I wound up going on Dells website and getting a refurbished unit, with solid-state drive and Win7, for about $400. Been very pleased so far and havent had any issues. Then again, I use it mostly just for schoolwork when Im sitting in the library. But...for $400 you cant beat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loath to gamble. It's like four wheel drive vehicles. I try to buy new ones, because you can never be sure how a previous owner treated it. But all you are risking is 400.00, in the case of the computer and it seems to have worked out well.

      Delete
  5. We got the rain but it was 8 hours past due...darn weathermen!!! lol
    our youngest needs a root canal... But the current dentist we used has stopped accepting our insurance..so, now we are shopping for a dentist in our network..

    I feel for those people in Gatlinburg.. Its really bad there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dental insurance isn't worth much. At best it leaves me paying half the cost of any procedure. My son wound up getting two root canal procedures today, at $700.00 each. So I pay$700 and the insurance pays$700.00. But after that was finished, the endodontist said each tooth has to be crowned immediately. My son used up his annual allotment on the policy, and the dentist says we can't wait til January when the insurance rolls over. Each crown is $1200, so we will pay an additional$2400 we had no idea would be necessary. No way around it.

      I saw ABC news tonight, looks like some people didn't get the word and couldn't get out of Gatlinburg in time. Lots of homes and businesses burned. I guess I better shake off the torpor I've been experiencing lately and start watching the fires again. I haven't even been turning my scanners on the last few days.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you got some rain. I hope it helps with the fires. It should at least clear the air some so your wife will have an easier time of it.

    I've always liked and had great results with Fiocchi ammo. The 125 gr 357 they sell is great stuff. I stock up on it when I find it on sale. My wife's revolver is 357/38, and so is my little Marlin 1894 carbine. Great shooting little rifle. I can clang steel all day long at 100 yards just using the iron sights on it! It's a better rifle than I am a shooter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fires in East Tennessee have burned Gatlinburg. My mind is boggled. We go up there in the winter sometimes. The whole place didn't go up, but lots of homes and businesses did and now the Talking Heads are saying some people didn't get out in time

      fiocchi is good stuff. Never met anyone who wasn't satisfied with it.

      I got that radio back from Midland. I will touch base with you about getting it out to you.

      Delete
  7. I was a bit giddy when I found over the weekend some 9mm Fiocci FMJ on sale at $10 a box. And it's brass. Every now and then the planets line up just perfectly. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great price. I hope you bought all they had. When I find a deal like that I even break my budget sometimes. When you're hot, you're hot! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Harry another well written food for thought post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at low ebb just now. The election and now all the asinine antics of the leftards have depleted my energy. I am distracted by all this gibbering talk about Mitt Romney as Secretary of State. I expect I'll be writing less frequently and in a low key til I recharge.

      Delete
  9. A significant Solar Storm or EMP will likely damage the charge controller, but not the panels themselves.

    A lot depends on the length of the lines from the panels to the controller and the controller to the batteries and their orientation...even the number of bends. EMP is strange stuff. Most of the items damaged will be because the grid acts as a long antenna. SHorter wires are better, in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. B, I'm not the duty expert on electronic issues. I know the derelict inverter on the wall of my shop, which is 1999 era equipment, has a lot of computers chips in it. There's a lot of discussion on the topic here:
    http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/questions-answers-wolf-pack-emp-disable-solar-panels/

    There didn't seem to be a lot of agreement on the issue.

    The thing I found unrealistic in the show was the implication that anyone with a solar power system could essentially ignore an EMP event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been studying emp since the 80's, even took part in some army testing, which began my interest to start with. in truth, nobody least of all experts really knows what will happen. too many variables. likely anything connected to the grid is toast, given a large enough event. everything else is a swag. i've been in on tests(as a driver and again as a mechanic) whereby vehicles as far back as the 80's and as new as 2000 were unaffected. had some cut off momentarily, but were able to restart and move under their own power minutes later. had some radios go down, some right beside them remained in operation. who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your comment on that old survivalist page so I knew you were interested in it some time back. I know we were hardening avionics and communications equipment, among other things, back in the 1970's and 1980's, but my involvement in any of that was peripheral in the extreme.

      My guess is that how wide ranging the effect is will depend on the nature of the event. A purpose built EMP over the continental U.S. could make things interesting. Whether it would ever go to "One Second After" severity I don't know. I try to keep radio equipment in home built Faraday cages, just in case.

      Delete
  12. several thoughts...root canals, i've had four. currently none. yep, every one broke off at the gum and had to be surgically removed. save some cash and pain. yank the offender out and put in an implant. done......blazer ammo, shot a bunch. had the occasional split case and other malfunctions. use them for practice, find some reliable brass for defense. same for the steel cased fodder. plenty good for practice but enough hick ups that i don't want to bet my life on it.....fires, ours about out thanks to the rain and lots of hard work of the forest service warriors, came in from afa as montana. praying for those folks in gatlinburg. aught to be a wake up call to everybody. stuff can go sideways at any time. best be ready. hohoho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is in his late twenties and I hope we don't have to go the implant route. On the other hand, my wife is getting a tooth fixed that was beyond the root canal stage and will have to be extracted, then she'll need an implant.

      Strangely, I've never had a problem with soft steel cased ammo, but most of what I shot was European surplus rifle ammo. I did fire a good bit of the old Blazer ammo, some years back, and it worked ok for me. I guess it just depends on the particular experience of each individual.

      We have had heavy rain today, but the fire map is still showing blazes in Hayesville, North Carolina and Fannin county, Ga which are both in my neighborhood. I am hoping this rain today, which was pretty strong, will help get both the drought and the fires off the list of things I have to be concerned with.

      There was a really depressing news video from Gatlinburg on ABC last night. I embedded it into a new post, and then I thought, that it was somehow unwholesome to be posting video of people who had lost everything, so I deleted it. Just didn't seem right.

      Delete
  13. I actually flurried here just a bit the other day. No snow yet though. Sometimes it snows in Nebraska as early as Halloween. We most certainly have had cold winds.

    I've never had a root canal. It sounds painful though!

    I'm really ready to call it a week. Between getting ready for Christmas, getting ready for finals, and I've had 2 nephews in the hospital (I just feel done).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cold and wet here too, Alissa. More rain due tonight, but I'm glad of it as we need the water.

    Root canals are painful. My son had a hard week. Two root canals and two crown preps in two days!

    I would imagine you are tired out. Sorry to hear about the nephews. I told my wife yesterday that it seems like we never get caught up, and that as soon as one thing is accomplished something else crops up. I don't see how we got along when we were both working.

    I hope things slow down for you and you get some stress free time.

    ReplyDelete