"There is no doubt that our nation's security and defeating terrorism trump all other priorities."

Arlen Specter

Friday, November 4, 2016

South Park picks up on the Scandanavian Troll Identification Company.






I referenced  a news article in a Swedish newspaper  about this subject some time back.  I've been trying to track down more information on the company and haven't found anything. It may be that South Park is taking off on this Swedish television show that tracks down Trolls.

Swedish Troll Hunter

Link above

I'd be glad to spend a little money with a company like this, and usually South Park follows real world events pretty closely in their lampoons.  If anybody knows anything more about this I'd appreciate hearing from them.


I have one "basic" troll who writes comments like " You are a #*^@&. The people who read your blog are the *#@&&^&  *#^@% in the world. Why don't you all die!"

This is easy to deal with, you just delete the comments.

But there are others with a little more intelligence. They try to get on the blog by posting seemingly benign comments designed to get others to respond, or to worry the people whose comments  they are responding to.  I had one of those recently that got by me, and I went back and deleted it once I realized what had happened.

Then you get the "argumentative" attack, where someone will start out by being critical of a post or comment, but not in an offensive way. Once they get a "thread" going they start egging people on, so that they themselves are not being offensive, but things get out of hand and legitimate people who are posting comments start going after each other. This happened in a big way on my old blog and that particular episode was one reason I shut it down.

Sometimes, I might  not post a "real" comment that was legitimate, because it parallels the troll procedure too closely. I'd rather err on the side of caution in those circumstances though.


Most European countries have laws against Trolling. Some of these are 'hate speech" laws. We don't have these here yet because free speech is guaranteed under the constitution (though the courts have been happy to limit it, and if Hillary gets in we can kiss it goodbye.)   So, in most of Europe, if a troll gets on your blog and uses language that can be construed as "inciting hate" against a wide range of protected groups, the troll can wind up in jail.  New laws specifically addressing trolls have come on line in England, for instance. You can't modify a picture of an individual in order to embarrass or degrade them. You can't make salacious or malicious statements about individuals with an intent to do them psychological harm.

I'm not all that enthusiastic about European style limitations on free speech, since that can backfire on everybody and be used by the government to shut everyone up. But I think it's coming here to some degree, before much longer.

Of course, somebody has to file a complaint and the prosecutors have to be willing to take the case, but I just read an article about ten trolls who are doing time or under legal restraint, and some of them were in America.

So, if this new company actually exists, it may be a lot less entertaining for the sociopaths out there who like to try to stir things up.

Thought for the Day:

"Watch money. Money is the barometer of a society’s virtue. When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion — when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing — when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors — when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull, than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you — when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice — you may know that your society is doomed.”
                                                                                                                    ---philosopher and novelist Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I  got the quote  above from a friend by email today.



 I haven't written about the ferrets in awhile. Percy is doing great. He's loving the mountain top and not living in a cage. Spike has adrenal disease, and there isn't anything you can do about that except to ameliorate the disease with Melatonin, which we are doing. He has a good quality of life and goes out everyday for his walk in the meadow.  Once the election is over, and I don't get so wrapped up in that , I'll put some pictures of the guys on here.





art by Stef



18 comments:

  1. Trolls are annoying. I saw a blogger post a constant Troll's comments as a day's post. Then he asked his readers to comment to the S.O.B.s opinion. It got lively :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to let trolls post their comments, but I found that they distracted from the interaction with people that I enjohy on the blog. Then too, some of the trolls just put one long string of obscenity in their comments and I couldn't post those anyway.

      Delete
  2. I got to pet a ferret, last week. One of my students came in wearing a hoodie with a kangaroo pouch style pocket, with both his hands in the pocket. When he leaned over to sign in for freewrite day so he could go write his paper somewhere else, out popped a ferret. He tried to get the ferret to duck back in the pocket and not disrupt things, but the ferret decided that was not on, and nipped him, then started begging pets. It was still a wee one--little less than half grown--and sweet as could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great little animals. They're fragile, though, so I hope the kid that had the ferret is taking care of it. Ferrets are individuals, with distinct personalities. They make great company.

      It's good to hear from you again!

      Delete
    2. The student had been at a friend's place, and the ferret decided his pocket was where he wanted to be, right as my student had to leave for class. He brought the ferret, rather than risking hurting him fighting to get him out of the pocket.

      Delete
    3. They can surprise you. Any bag or purse or backpack is a favorite haven of the ferrets. Any place snug and cozy. I'm glad the student was careful of the fuzzy, because they really are fragile.

      Delete
  3. I suppose I would rather deal with a troll than be banned, like they did to Dr. Michael Savage in England. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the crux of the problem. Any law put in place to limit free speech can be turned to political ends by people with an agenda. I'd rather just use comment moderation, myself and not empower the government drones to decide what's on the net and what's not.

      Delete
  4. Trolls usually love to be hated. I guess that means their closet masochists. They're mental cases, however you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have some social and psychological issues. My thought is that they are essentially cowards, who doubtless have been bullied and pushed around, and trolling lets them delude themselves that they are forceful, important people.

      Delete
  5. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    I made a run to Walmart for and picked up more stuff than usual since the election is coming up and everyone's getting the jitter's. I figure it would not hurt to have a little more stuff and I would not have to go back to Walmart for awhile.

    Not much else is going on here. Just watching the anarchy unfold in television news land.

    I'm glad the ferrets and other critters are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you can walk down to the beach and enjoy some tranquility if things really get out of control. We had a forest fire right near us this weekend and I spent most of the time listening to the scanner and calling the county dispatch to see if I needed to hit the road. Had the ferrets all packed up to go!

      Delete
  6. Europeans are used to being told what to do by their "betters". It's a very top-down system over there.
    Americans are too dadburned stubborn for that sort of nonsense.
    Well, most of us are, although I keep seeing more and more comments about how we should be more "modern", you know, like the Europeans are. I say look at Calais, Paris, Hamburg, etc. to see how all of that "modernity" is working out for them.

    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've had a stratified society for centuries. Ours has been a lot more egalitarian, but now we are increasingly divided into the "haves" who run everything, and the "have nots" who do all the work, all the production, but have little or no say in political matters. The Republican Party showed how that works with the career hacks doing all they could to defeat Trump, and to support Hillary.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Harry. Wow! The Ayn Rand quotes sound exactly like the current administration and Hilary. Glad to hear that the ferrets are doing o.k. I saw a ferret for sale in our local swap shop for $175 and thought of you. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana,

      Atlas Shrugged is a hard book to read, but it's right on the money with how things are today. I need to get my copy out and struggle through it again.

      I hope that ferret finds a good home. When people try to sell them, they are more concerned about getting the money than who they give the ferret to. An awful lot of people who get animals have no business with pets to start with, and ferrets need special care and conditions. I'll cross my fingers somebody buys that ferret who knows what they need and likes them.

      Delete
  8. Hello there. Just found your blog through several others that you follow. Sadly I don't know any more info related the The South Park episode you talked about but I do have seen that series "forecast" some interesting news pieces. Husband and I own 7 acres in Central Illinois and getting more independent and self-sustainable by the day. Lots of good info on your blog. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks for stopping by. It sounds like you have a nice set up. South Park is vulgar, I know, but at the same time they do some great political satire.

      Delete