“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Decima

I have been watching the National Geographic Channel "Docudrama" about settling Mars. They make a big deal out of how harsh the environment is there.  Maybe they should practice for Mars by living in Appalachia.

From severe drought to flooding.  Temperatures that range from 110 above in summer to 15 below in winter.  Today we are getting snow and ice in the evening and night time.



Horrific forest fires.  Trees down across the roads and power lines.  Power outages that can last five minutes or five days.

Went out on the porch this morning and there's another tree down across the trail out of here. Right at the entrance to the meadow.  Naturally it's raining in torrents, so cutting the tree up will be even more fun than usual.




My wife has been over at her mom's for three days now. I am supposed to go pick her up tonight about seven, when her sister and brother in law get back.  Since she retired, M has become the duty fill in care giver every time her sister goes out of town. She spent Thanksgiving over there for that reason.  Since her sister keeps Ruby the rest of the time, we can't really decline an invitation for M to go watch her mom. There are three sisters in the family, but the youngest one lives in Mississippi so she can't just flit over for a week or so. Besides, she's a professor at a college there, so she doesn't have much flexibility about her work.



Well,  we owe her mom. She's a good old woman and was always kind to us over the years. When my father in law died some years back, Ruby just kind of folded up. She has a little granny house right next to my sister in law's Mac Mansion.  During the day when my sister in law is at her office, they have a lady who comes in and stays with Ruby.  But on these long trips somebody has to go stay with her, and since my wife is retired, she's the default "care giver."


.


If they put her in a nursing home, the Southern Baptist Convention would pay all the costs, since Ruby is a retired missionary.  But who wants to do that to a family member?  At least she has her own things around her, and isn't subject to any indignity while she stays in her own home.  My mom has her own place in Oregon, but my brother and my sister both live right by her, and my mom is not "crippled up" or "senile" , not yet anyway. 

Having said that, I should mention my dad died in a nursing home. He had a stroke, went crazy, and was so violent it took two grown men to restrain him. He lived for seven days after the stroke. Sometimes, no matter how you feel, your options are limited to that one. 

So,  I try not to grouse about hauling my wife over there and then going and getting her and bringing her back. I am sure as hell not letting her drive the vehicle in the mountains.  I'm not thrilled about being here by myself so that if something happens like me plummeting down the stairs, it's just too bad, so sad. Now that M has been retired and I'm used to having her around, I miss her more when she isn't here.


I even put up with all her cats.  Most of them are outside but she has brought some of them in the house and they are destructive little wretches. I have to clean their "potty boxes" , that's one of my chores. I assume all husbands clean potty boxes. Something about there is a virus in cat poop that can make women sick.  Sounds made up to me.....





Still, the cats contribute to the common weal too. Everybody works here. The indoor cats help me catch bats in a towel when the bats get in the house.  I put the bats out and I suspect they fly right back into the attic, but I like bats.


The kids will be arriving Christmas Day, and spending two weeks with us. They are bringing "Willa" the German Shepard and Conkers the Squirrel.  Last time they were here Conkers got loose in one of the store rooms and chewed through a bunch of number ten can lids. Fortunately I keep a box of spares since those lids split over time anyway.



This time around, no matter what else doesn't get done, we are going to get the kids expired concealed carry permits renewed.  The state they live in has a reciprocal agreement with Georgia. My daughter ha a .357 S&W Snub Nose I gave her last time she came home, but she keeps it in the apartment. I'd rather she had it on her when she's out of the house.


Thought for the Day:




I hope everyone has a good week. It's the holidays and surely this one time of year we can enjoy a little quiet time, without worrying about things we can't really do anything about.




30 comments:

  1. Good Morning ! That storm is headed our way, Its now getting very windy, but at least the temps are decent. hovering around the 60 mark. Was down for a quick trip to FLA yesterday and it was sunny, hot and in the mid 80s...ick. I like our weather up here, makes Christmas time seem like Christmas time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem "Christmasy" with snow coming in tonight. The freezing rain and ice worries me, as it may close either of the two mountain passes I can use to go get my wife from her mom's.

      Warm here too at the moment, but the front is just edging into Georgia and it's supposed to be really cold behind that.

      I'm glad you got down to Florida and back safely. The news says more people are traveling for the holidays this year than usual.

      Delete
  2. The virus in cat poo is only dangerous to pregnant women, because it crosses the placental barrier (i.e., far more dangerous to developing fetus, since it leads to deformation and death). I clean our kitties' litter box. Other half deals with taking the results out with the trash, because it's really too heavy for me to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly suspect that cleaning out the cat boxes falls under my purview because my wife doesn't like the smell of cat poo. She and my daughter presumed on my credulity and once a chore is on your list, it's hard to get off. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Harry it has swept through here already. the ground is to warm for problems. I also miss my wife she is on the couch but we have 3 kids and 2 grandkids for the foreseeable future here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you told me that about the weather because I have been sitting here today worrying about getting caught up in one of the passes and not being able to go forward or back. We've done that before and it's pretty miserable. If there is no actual ice or snow here about five, I'll go on and get her, but we might not get back tonight.

      I only have the two kids, and they are both grown up and moved off.

      Delete
  4. Sure wish we would have a white Christmas here this year but that isn't going to happen this year. These temps have been all over the place. Saturday morning Charlotte had some wrecks from the freezing rain and bridge overpass, but of course it is always the bridges fault when people drive too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, weather for this coming weekend is supposed to be relatively mild here. We'll be getting a good snow soon enough, I expect. January, Feb and March are big snow months up here. I am not sure about down your way.

      I had to drive my wife back from her mom's Sunday night. 3rd gear up and down the mountains, frozen sleet on the road and fog so thick you could only see as far as your headlights. Not fun.

      Delete
  5. Harry we got the tail end of the snowstorm here, over a foot of snow...and -20 to boot. Took some time just digging out. Very thankful for my 4 by 4 these days.

    You have a very good wife it would seem. Marriage is so hard these days with all the distractions and stress. Looks like you have done well in that department.

    As ol' Merle used to sing "...if we make it through December, everything's gonna be alright I know". I sure hope so. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that song. Just heard it on the radio a few days ago, in fact.

      My wife and I have our moments, but we get along pretty well most of the time. Marriage has always been hard, I think. No two people always think alike, no matter how well attuned to each other they are. We still haven't settled the issue of staying here or not. I am being quiet and just hopeful it will go away. ;-)

      Delete
  6. My wife doesn't like cats, If she had, I wouldn't have married her. Life's too short to spend it with a cat person! - LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cats. I just think maybe we have a couple too many in the house. But I'm not going to make an issue of it with the wife....;-)

      Delete
  7. It's gone form sub zero temps, to 9 inches of snow, to freezing rain, to rain then back to snow. Supposed to drop to -5 tonight.

    Took my wife's car into town because it had new snow tires. Slow going, but no problems. However, very glad to make it home before the freezing rain set in.

    I have all my kids and grandkids here for the holidays. Fortunately, some are staying with my daughter in town. Should be loads of fun. No idea when or if we'll ever be able to do that again. Making the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow tires would be nice.

      My kids are due in Christmas Day. I hope they make it ok.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the well wishes, Harry.

    You also reminded me it the day to go outside and pick up all the dog poop!

    It goes in the trash, and trash day is Monday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of your yard, you mean? Mine go the same place the bears do, in the woods!

      Haven't mailed the radio yet. Some unexpected events like being tasked with taking care of the mother in law (my wife was, anyway) and other logistics things. I will try to get it off to you this week.

      Delete
    2. Yep, our back yard is the dog's "litter box".

      She generally uses a certain area, but I police the whole yard, just in case.

      No hurry on the radio. It'll get here when it does.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Dr. J. I'm trying to get caught up here.

      Delete
  9. The cat virus is toxoplasmosis and it is only a danger if a woman is pregnant. It can harm the unborn fetus. I clean the litter boxes at my house. But my cats go in and our so they do much of their business outside and it usually isn't so bad. Hope your weather improves. Mild and drizzly here today. Got some fence work done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that story was being burnished a bit here at the house. I take care of all the other animals though, so I guess I will keep taking care of the cats.

      Thanks for the seeds. I am going to plant them in the garden this spring and have high opes of a better yield. My "set outs" didn't work worth a hoot except for the tomatoes this year.

      Cold and wet here. I haven't gotten much done in consequence, but I've been busy hauling my wife over to her mom's to stay with her, then driving back home, then going back to get the wife, then driving back home........

      Delete
  10. perhaps were are witnessing the death throws of our fair planet, much as mars and venus saw? idk, i look at the data from years past and wonder how people made it thru. during ww2, the temps/snows/floods were crazy. they must have thought the end was near....my mrs. is taking care of the mil now, 24 hours a day. she has taken a turn for the worse and will go into hospice monday. it will be a sad Christmas again....it has gone from ice yesterday to 65 today, 46 now and dropping. thankfully work shuts down tuesday p.m. for a couple of weeks. be safe my friend, and merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, right at Christmas. And 24 hours a day? That's mighty rough. It's good of your wife to do that. My sister in law is in that boat, which is why I try not to be a jerk when it's my wife's turn in the barrel.

      Glad you are getting a break, even with the weather so rough across the country. Here too.

      Hope your Christmas is quiet and nothing to worry about comes up.

      Delete
  11. The Arctic front blew through here last night with temps dropping from 72 down to 23 last night. It should be about 21 tonight. Thankfully, we had no ice/snow with it.It is so tough dealing with our elderly parents. My mom had Alzheimer's for a number of years before she passed away. She ended up in a nursing home that specialized in Alzheimer's, but no one wants to put their parents in a nursing home if it can be avoided. I am glad to hear that your kids will be home for Christmas. Hope you are able to get M tonight, so she can be home with you. Stay safe and warm. Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I went over there and got her, but it was a hellish trip. Coming back, it was after dark and below freezing. There was thick fog so you could hardly see, and the road was slick. I drove almost the whole 45 miles in 3rd gear, it was that bad.

      Sometimes it can't be helped, people get so old and helpless they can't be left alone and no one can watch them every minute. I think if they are senile it's no big deal. My grandpa Eddie had Alzheimer's and he didn't have a clue who he was or where he was. But if they are still lucid, then that's a lot harder. I wonder what will happen to me? I hope I have a heart attack and just die in bed, no fuss and no expense.

      Have a good Christmas Holiday if I don't talk to you again before then!

      Delete
  12. Hey Harry,

    (captaincruch)

    The big news today is the Russian Ambassador in Turkey got shot by another one of muhummed's dirtbags. I waiting to see if this becomes a 'Archduke of Ferdinand' moment.

    I saw the interview with Putin over on RT. 'Putin's not a happy camper. There will be blood over this one.

    In the coming days we will see what transpires.

    On the Mars thing.

    Mars is a lot the West Texas desert out near Big Bend National Park. If you hang around out there long enough, you may get an idea of how the Martians behave by studying the residents of Terlingua and Terlingua ranch:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the attack on the Christmas market in Berlin. The news is talking about the Somali mosque in Switzerland getting shot up, but my guess, knowing the Somalis, is that was just them shooting each other up. Thinking of Somalis in Switzerland is sad, like thinking about devils in heaven. Just isn't right.

      That Mars show is ok, but too many windbag scientists trying to convince people that spending billions on going to Mars is a good use of the money. I don't see it, myself.

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Thanks to organized religion, overpopulation etc. I really think at some point the human race will damn near exterminate itself. That's the reason I agree with many out there that getting humans to Mars with idea of setting up a self sufficient human colony with enough technology to live underground (out of solar radiation and temperature extremes) until those humans can further their technology and venture forth further into the outer solar system and one day onto other worlds. We also need a safe space to store knowledge away from religious fanaticism (kinda like a 'Library of Alexandria' on Mars) I know it sounds nuts but we are setting up for new dark age that will engulf most of our planet. I thinking getting free men and women offworld is a priority if civilization and knowledge from our time period is to be preserved. I know it sounds nuts but we need new frontiers as a species. We need to know there is hope for the future and that hope involves getting the hell away from this rock and all the idiots that are destroying it and civilization.

      Delete
    3. I second what you said. If not humans we need an archive of what we "were" are" on the moon mars and in orbit.

      Delete
  13. Who dose the art? I have seen their work throughout your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are probably asking about a friend of mine named Stef. She lets me use a lot of her paintings. Some is from a web page for new and aspiring artists. Some of it , I don't know myself.

      Delete