Truth.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Ariel Durant

Thursday, January 26, 2017

It's winter again.

Bob Ross

 It's winter here again. We had a spell of ridiculously warm weather, which is why we had tornadoes and terrific wind storms. All things considered, I prefer the cold.

It's supposed to snow Friday and Saturday night. The weather people at NOAA say there won't be much accumulation except at the higher elevations. That includes me.

So, in a few minutes, I am changing into some decent clothes and heading into town. There are a few things I want to pick up, and I want to get out for a bit.

I still haven't gotten rid of all the branches that came down out of the oak and poplar trees around the house, but I've got most of it piled up.  The first time I get rain, and no wind, I'll burn it.

Here's a list of things President Trump has done since taking office.   It's from a Fox News story dated yesterday.


I don't remember any politician ever doing so much, so fast, to keep his promises. Even if the political machine makes it impossible for him to accomplish all our goals, no one can say he didn't try.


Since taking office, President Trump has looked to fulfill some of his campaign promises by using executive orders. Here are the orders he has signed so far:


 Multi-pronged orders on border security and immigration enforcement including: the authorization of a U.S.-Mexico border wall; the stripping of federal grant money to sanctuary cities; hiring 5,000 more Border Patrol agents; ending “catch-and-release” policies for illegal immigrants; and reinstating local and state immigration enforcement partnerships.


Two orders reviving the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipelines. He also signed three other related orders that would: expedite the environmental permitting process for infrastructure projects related to the pipelines; direct the Commerce Department to streamline the manufacturing permitting process; and give the Commerce Department 180 days to maximize the use of U.S. steel in the pipeline.
 An order to reinstate the so-called "Mexico City Policy" – a ban on federal funds to international groups that perform abortions or lobby to legalize or promote abortion. The policy was instituted in 1984 by President Reagan, but has gone into and out of effect depending on the party in power in the White House.


He signed a notice that the U.S. will begin withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Trump called the order "a great thing for the American worker."


An order imposing a hiring freeze for some federal government workers as a way to shrink the size of government. This excludes the military, as Trump noted at the signing.


An order that directs federal agencies to ease the “regulatory burdens” of ObamaCare. It orders agencies to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement” of ObamaCare that imposes a “fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.”






The Mystery of the Type 99





I've been restoring a Japanese Type 99 rifle that was sporterized, probably back in the 1950's. It's been hard finding all the right parts, even with Numerich and Sarco to draw on.  But I'm getting there. The other day, I was looking through my records on my collection, and I saw a Type 99 listed, but it wasn't the same as the one I was working on. I thought I'd made a mistake, and so I looked up the location of the gun, opened the safe, and darned if there wasn't a pristine, original condition Type 99 in there. I don't remember buying it. I thought I only had the one I was working on.  The mum hasn't been ground on the one I'm rebuilding, and it has been on this one I just found in the safe. Either I bought it a really long time ago, or it's the "old Timers" disease creeping up on me.

I have a lot of brass for the 7.7 Japanese, and the bullets are very common . I only have about a hundred rounds of loaded ammo for it though. I guess I'll check and see what 200 rounds of Privi Partisan 7.7 Japanese would cost me.  Hornday sells it but at too high a price.



I probably ought to check my lists again. No telling what all might turn up. Maybe I've got an MP40 down there. Always wanted one!




Things have been slow here, so I've been plundering around the book shelves. I collected a lot of books , mostly history, over the years.  I found one I had not seen in a long time. Americans At War 1975-1980.   Since I went in the Marines in 1971, and left in 1986, I remember most of the incidents in this book. I'd be willing to bet that almost no one who wasn't an adult (and even a lot of those who were) during this period does. 


Although it was written by an Army General, it has a really good section on the Lebanon Intervention of 1982-1984.  I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but as far as a chronological record of what happened when, it's about the best I've seen.  All this happened 35 years ago, and my memory isn't what it was. I've bought everything I could find written about that particular incident. There isn't much, though. It all fits on one 4 foot long shelf. It was good to rediscover this. I tried to find it in digital form, so I could print the Lebanon section in the blog.

  While this blog is a lot of fun and keeps me in touch with a lot of really great people, it's original purpose was always to make a historical record for my kids, and their kids, ad infinitum. My kids know very little about my wife and I before they were born. Someday they'll read this and it won't be lost. So what goes in the blog is part whimsy, part description of life in this day and time.  Kind of like The AngloSaxon Chronicle or the Doomsday Book.  Not that I'm on a level with the Venerable Bede, or the monks who wrote those Dark Age records.



Well, Time to clean up and go into town. I have to pick up my medicines at the pharmacy, go by the bank, the grocery store, the library and I'll probably have lunch in town as a treat to myself for being a good fellow. ;-)

Thought for the Day:

Couldn't get by without my ferrets







26 comments:

  1. Wish I had that kind of problem finding antique guns I did not know I had. The days of good deals on milsurp stuff are long over. Even the old Carcanos are selling for 300$ now. I buy on price. Bottom end only. In that 100$ range that you bought your Mosins all you get these days are broken 100 yr old single shot scatterguns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I can remember, in the mid nineties, nobody wanted the Mosins. You could go into a hardware store and there would be a wooden barrel full of them, you just took your pick, usually for $50.00 or so. If you wanted one with the dog collar sling, an oil bottle, ammo pouches, and some stripper clips, that had been refurbished to as new condition, that might run you $60.00. Those days are gone forever. Unless, of course, importation restrictions on weapons furnished to overseas allies, are lifted. Then there would be M-1 Garands, M-1 Carbines, 1903 Springfields, the American Enfields, all those good things, in profusion. I have heard rumors on the web that this may happen, but they are only rumors so far.

      I've been collecting since 1986. From 1986 to about 2005 I was a SERIOUS collector. I bid on lots of guns being sold by Georgia Bureau of Investigation, would buy 15 guns to get the one I wanted. Those days are gone too. Old retired guys have to watch the denarius outflow.

      Delete
  2. My experience as been that .30-06 cases can be reformed into 7.7 Jap fairly easily. There is some dimensional differences with the case bases, but not enough to really make any difference with most mid-range loads. All you'd need, in addition to your regular 7.7 dies is a form/trim. It'd be worth it, from an expense standpoint. And, of course, any bullet for the .303 Brit, 7.65 Arg. Mau., etc, will do for the 7.7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Back in the mid 1990's, Graf and Sons began a program of importing vast amounts of brass for chamberings you simply could not find. They would have one "run" a year on one specific chambering. When it was gone, it was gone. I bought enough 7.7 Japanese brass to fill five gargantuan pickle jars, and most of it is still out there in the shop. Same with 8X56R. I had plenty of surplus brass at the time but it was all Berdan primed and my attempts to reload Berdan primed brass were epic failures. I even bought a super expensive book on reloading for hard to find chamberings and it covered fire forming, but I never actually did it.

      I made myself a spread sheet years ago with the standard load for my old guns, and I was surprised to find that a lot of the world war 2 guns, as you say, utilized the same diameter bullet. The only one I have ever had trouble finding was the unique bullet used in 8X56R. Those are .330.
      I used to get them from Buffalo Bullet Company, and even today sometimes Hornaday will put a lot of seconds out there cheap. I stocked up on the bullets, big time.

      Delete
    2. Lee offers a .329" mould and sizer die. The bullets take regular 8mm/.32 cal gas checks. You can put together a hundred bullets for a lot less money than the jacketed ones. Graf should have both the mould and the push-through sizer kit.

      Delete
    3. I should probably go ahead and acquire the necessary bits and pieces. My forays outside of basic reloading have not always ended well, but the day may come when I can't buy the.330 fun bullets at all and then I would not have much choice.

      Delete
    4. While I have your attention, I have a package here I'd like to send to you. Would you email me your mailing address when you have a sec? zero @ commanderzero.com

      Delete
    5. Sure. I'm on the kindle tonight. I'll email you in the morning when I fire up the computer.

      Delete
  3. About that Type 99 that you didn't remember buying. You probably didn't. If you leave a few guns in a safe they eventually start breeding. In a couple more years you will need to get another safe when the first one gets full. At least that's my theory. Happens to me all the time...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only that were true! I'd become a breeder. One room in my ground floor has big loading doors. That's the inner sanctum, safes bolted to the floor, never to be moved. When I die, not just anybody would be able to buy this house, that's for sure. It has many unique features most would not appreciate.

      Delete
  4. I used to have a &.& that Dad sent back from Japan. I noticed that the Norma fired brass had the crudest flash hole of any I'd ever seen. I could barely get them deprimed for the shreds of brass on the inside edges of the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a piece of gear called a swage. It was really designed to get rid of the crimps in the primer pockets of military brass, but it works on any brass to deburr it. The brass from Graf and Sons is actually Starline, but produced overseas to the Graf and Sons contract and they sell it under their label. The only problem is that Graf will only order a special run of any given chambering every few years. So, everybody and their dog puts in a huge predelivery order, and sometimes you don't get all the brass you wanted.

      Delete
  5. I have been home this week feeling under the weather. Nothing big, just lost track of the expiration dates on my inhalers for my asthma, which, when it kicked up and said inhalers didn't work like usual, it took me a couple of days to figure out why. Some nurse I am!! By then, I was in deep weeds and needed to get to the doctor's office.

    So, now I'm on a short dose of Prednisone, which helps the breathing greatly, but does other nasty things to me, so I'm home down and quiet until I'm finished with the meds. Anywhoo...been watching a LOT of TV this week.
    I have thought it was pretty funny with how often all the TV dudes keep stressing how busy the news has been this week as Trump is just cranking out stuff. I kept thinking they must have gotten used to the pace of the golfer in chief.

    What everyone seems to have forgotten is this is a guy who is used to managing a multinational business, so I am sure he is very good at outlining the broad guidelines, what is not acceptable, and setting up the deadline by which it needs to be done. And then assigning it to a team to get it done. From what I have seen, he is basically still being a cheerleader for the folks he has picked, and about the folks he will have to interact with. So-so's a "great guy", etc.

    So I think he is pretty organized, and has had a while to think things out and pre-stage a lot of things. I also thought it was funny/sad that the Republicans needed to go out of town on a "retreat" within a week or two of coming back from the Christmas break which was several weeks long. These folks just have no clue how the real world works...3 weeks for Christmas and than more time off right away again wouldn't happen at all. Most "retreats" or "stand down time" to help everyone get on the same page that I saw or were part of were done either on site, or in a local ballroom to save on $$. Wonder how much it cost to send every Republican to PA, and back.

    I think it maybe a good thing to apply a cattle prod to the collective Congress to get their butts moving. They have just been hanging out for the past 8 years. They haven't even passed a budget for 6 or 7 years so far as I remember. They just add a little more and continue on. it is good to see them getting shook up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, I give my ferrets prednisone for respiratory problems. One of my ferrets, Jet, developed cancer. The exotic pet veterinarian we took him to prescribed prednisonel, which she said was a form of prednisone. Nothing could be done for the cancer but the medicine kept him comfortable. He died in his sleep in his "snuggy bag." I've lost several of my ferrets to cancer. The prednisonel cost a hundred dollars for a tiny little bottle but it was worth it.

      I'm sorry you are run down and feeling poorly. In winter that seems to happen to people. My son has asthma, and has to carry an inhaler. We make sure he keeps one at work,and extras at the apartment. He had a bad asthma attack at work some years ago, and what could have been a minor event turned into a real flailex because he had left his inhaler at his apartment.

      I have seen some good Senators and Representatives coming on line lately. I have been impressed with Cotton, a veteran from, I think, Missouri. He's the one who told Schumer to pound sand on the Senate floor. But most of the political hacks are just slugs, who are in it for themselves, and that's it. Watching the confirmation hearing and seeing do nothings like Rubio being all pompous and grand really aggravated me.

      I have been very impressed with President Trump. The man gets right on it. Your description of how he works is right on the money. If only he can get some support from the government nomenclatura, he will do great things.

      Delete
  6. Harry,

    Storms, straight line winds.....y'all have had enough of that stuff this year. Our winter hasn't been bad at all. Now that I've said that, all hell will break loose with the weather here....LOL!!! We have been experiencing a drought, even in winter. There are a few wild fires burning, out in Edmond, OK and one in Shawnee, OK.

    Enjoy your ride to town, be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, going to town was ok but I tried to do too much and got worn out. When I went to pick up my medications at the drug store, it cost me Fifty dollars more than usual. The pharmacist said that as of one January one of my medications had been moved to a different "tier"by Blue Cross so now it cost a lot more.

      The weather here has been very bizarre.Georgia got glacial cold and snow. Then it got above average temperatures, and big storms, for a week. This morning it's below freezing with snow and freezing rain coming in over the weekend. Keeping me on my toes, that's certain.

      Delete
  7. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I think that, that Japanese rifle that you found in your gunsafe is cool. I wish an HK-91 would appear in my gunsafe:)

    Here's one for you.

    http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/26/womens-march-featured-speaker-who-kidnapped-raped-and-tortured-a-man/

    One of those chief fruitcakes at the womens march last week in D.C. is a world class 'sociopath murderer' read the article. I verified it from a 1985 article from the New York Times.

    This is what the left is exalting. Hey everyone on this blog. These people will be coming to a neighborhood like yours in coming years. The hardcore left wants one of those 'good ole' fashioned 'communist revolutions and they will be coming for people like us.
    'By the way. Donna Hilton aka Donna Hylton is a real piece of work. I wonder how freaks like this get through the vetting process to speak in public. Does anyone do their homework on the left, or are they trying to mainstream socialpath's to prep us for another 'Stalin' or a 'Pol Pot' regime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the people prancing around out in the streets are just severely challenged from an intellectual standpoint.I go through my spam filter every couple of weeks, and sometimes I don't just clear the filter, I read a couple of the comments. I'm always amazed at how unintelligent the writers are.

      Delete
  8. I have a really beat up Arisaka Type 99, the mum ground down, but it shot okay with Norma ammunition.

    That was a funny line about the MP40, made me chuckle. I don't have nearly that type of inventory, but I come across items I can't remember owning either.

    Good comment about border wall. Someone had written that the U.S. should use confiscated Mexican drug and other illegal money to help pay for the wall.

    Mexicans paying for border wall - done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when I started feeling my age, I tapered off on my shooting some and that's probably the root of how things like this happen to me.

      Norma was the only outfit making ammo for some of the less common surplus guns for a long time. The prices were stiff but it was the easiest way to get brass back then.I always had good luck with the ammo.

      There are lots of ways to pass the cost on to Mexico and we should. Their government has made a DMZ out of their Southern border, but they encourage people from Mexico to enter the U.S. illegally and then send money back to Mexico. The Mexican government even published a comic book style brochure on how to sneak into the U.S. until it got into the news here.

      I would be ok with a mine field myself.Cheaper and it would eliminate the repeat offender issue.

      Delete
  9. There's just Something about a Reichtag Ferret with an MP-40
    that makes me smile. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great drawing? I figure a German must have drawn it because they used bogus insignia instead of the Hakenkruz. They do that. I went all the way to Munich from Oberamagau to a museum there to see an authentic BF-109G, the "Gustav". When I got there they had painted the aircraft in historically inaccurate markings. A guard told me it was some kind of law.

      Delete
  10. With all that has happened in your life time its easy to forget the location of things unless you read your records once a week. I still remember the night I graduated and the night a Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of things to account for. You wind up with a lot of things when you live in one place for thirty plus years.

      Delete
  11. I keep my blog for my kids too. A family record of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a viable record. And since it should last as long as the internet, it's better than a paper record. My grandmother and my mother both wrote and published their memoirs. But such a topic has limited appeal to readers, so once the copies of the books are lost, or discarded by the library, the record is gone.

      I am really interested in the Battle of Hastings and the Norman Conquest. I went to the battlefield with my wife when we lived in Europe and walked every inch of it.

      Almost everything we know about it is conjecture, based on only three written sources and the tapestry. If only a few more chroniclers had written a few more details, we could put it all together today. I think historians in the future will have access to the experiences of normal people, though blogs , than they ever had before . Now, not only the great and powerful will have their thoughts recorded, there will be a much richer fabric of history out there.

      Delete