“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Friends in Safe Spaces. MP-40. (You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.)











In the entire United States, there are still two places listed as being in severe drought condition. We are one of them.  The individuals who made this map must know what they are doing, as the spring which bubbles up on my land has stopped. In ordinary times, the water just comes up out of the ground, and flows down the mountain to the bigger creek down slope. Right now, it's dry.   My well is still ok, but it ought to be. It was drilled in "The Drought" of 1988.  When people say "the drought" here, that's what they mean. The same as "The War" means the Civil War.



Right now, it's warm and sunny outside. That will change as the day goes on. There's a massive thunderstorm system building up to the West.  April is tornado season here.  Back in the early 1990's, we had a system come through the county where I worked, and it wiped out whole swaths of the forest. Where there had been trees, now there were nice views of the mountains. It blew away whole neighborhoods outside Dahlonga, Ga.  Nothing but cement slabs left, with pipes sticking up out of them , and White County got hit worse. In some places, houses were completely gone, while a house on the next hill top was untouched. April can be dicey here.  It's no coincidence that Home Depot and the grocery stores all start selling weather radios by the registers in April.



I've been watching the antics of the Democrats during the confirmation hearings for Judge Gorsuch. He's made a good impression, while the fools that make up the Democratic members of the committee have actually managed to embarrass me.  Can you imagine reading from a piece of paper, asking the Judge if he agrees with some previous ruling , when it's obvious you don't understand a word you're reading. I've cringed with embarrassment on occasion, wondering if the Dems don't realize how asinine they look doing this kind of thing.



I don't know if everyone has been following the bizarre machinations of the state governments in Washington, Minnesota, and some of the other leftard states concerning the Moslem immigration imbroglio.

It doesn't matter how much happens in the world to show what a hideous mistake it is for a Western culture to import these people.  The Unicorn and Rainbow crowd just keeps on keeping on.

My wife and I were in Murphy, North Carolina earlier this week, and we saw a giant billboard that had just gone up. It pictured an old Veteran, holding a flag and it said "Veterans before Immigrants!"  I wish I had put the camera in the car, but we'll be back over there soon and I'll get a picture.

Murphy is an old saw mill town, and there are some rough people there. Rough even by North Georgia standards. But they are patriotic people with strong religious values and old fashioned morals.  I'd take them over San Francisco style moon bats any day of the month.



We've had a busy week here.  There was a going out of business sale at a grocery store , and my wife and I made three trips back and forth, loading up the Jeep with anything we could use. They marked down the prices, and then gave you 30% off on that.  We stocked up on canned goods, in particular.
I used up a lot of the canned food in the pantry when my wife was up visiting the kids, but we've replaced all that and I had to carry cases of canned food out to the climate controlled part of the barn, because the storerooms in the house are full.  It's good to have that done.



I also bought 585 lbs of corn , in 45 lb heavy plastic sacks.  You need to be careful of what you buy if you buy corn in feed sacks, make sure it hasn't got any pesticides on it.  If you have a grain mill, you can grind up the corn to make corn meal.  Corn from a feed store comes in two versions , "cracked" and kernel. "Cracked" means it's been run through a mill to bust it up into small pieces an animal can eat. Kernel means it's been stripped from the cob, but not milled.  I buy kernel corn, which takes more work to grind, but I'm more comfortable with it in terms of making sure there's no bugs or gravel in the corn.






Emergency Essentials is having a sale on Mountain House canned foods. These are good for quick meals, when people are too tired to do a lot of mixing and cooking.  They also have some things you might want for variety, even if you have a good amount of long term storage food already.   In this particular catalog, there was a lot of small bits and pieces type of gear that you don't think of until you need it. Worth thumbing through and the catalog is free.




In the last post, I mentioned seeing a young man annihilating four Hillary Ninja who attacked an old man at a pro Trump rally.

I got an email from a friend with amplification of the event, and more pictures.  I was surprised to see a  great many young fellows with the high and tight haircut, many of whom were also administering serious attitude adjustments to the black clad trash.  Reflecting on this, I realized that the rally was taking place within easy driving distance of Camp Pendleton, the big USMC base on the west coast. I wonder......


Thought for the Day:




My treat to myself :






I'm buying one of these as soon as they release the model with the folding stock. I want an MP-40, and the automatic versions are expensive, hard to find, and consume too much ammo too fast for my purposes.  But this gun is exactly what I want.  I'll have to buy the tax stamp for a short barreled rifle, but it's less than renewing my vehicle tags every year.









These guns have been available in Europe for several years and have a good reputation for quality, and functioning.










Or, I guess I could go to Eastern Europe and fish for one in a pond.

Just because a weapon is an older design, doesn't mean it won't get the job done.





Philosophy of the Moment:

Sometimes, you just can't get no satisfaction!






And by the way, are we on the same road as 1861?
After all, April is coming up fast . Maybe Berkeley will be the new Charleston. 







Like Rush L.  said ,  this will only be over when one side wins, and suppresses the other. I don't feel like being suppressed again after 8 year of the Kenyan.



31 comments:

  1. I love Chad Prather and have watched a number of his videos. Texas was in a severe drought situation a few years ago; parts of it are still in a drought. We had burn bans across the state, but some idiots decided that the bans didn't apply to them; consquently, we had so many fires. I am hoping that your part of the country and Texas get plenty of rain this spring. Stay safe-Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I enjoyed that song. Hadn't heard of the fellow before until I saw the clip on another blog. I'll be watching for more songs from him.

      Last summer here was horrific. I slept with one ear on the scanner, so to speak, because fires were breaking out everywhere in our part of Georgia. Many of them were set by people from Atlanta, and some were lightning issues.

      We have been getting rain, but the creeks and rivers are still way down, and the lake has huge mud flats that would ordinarily be covered by water at this time of year.

      Delete
  2. There should be some way to collect water better for flood years. Then distribute water on drought years. We collect water, but I know that's illegal in some places. It seems so mess up that collecting water would be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone here depends on wells, even if they are on city water, because the source of city water is a big well by the golf course. We have three major (for the South) rivers in North Georgia. They are the Nottely, the Hiawasee and the Etowah. But one of them are used for water. They just feed into the three lakes, Chatuge, Nottely, and Blue Ridge lakes. The lakes, in turn, were all created in the 1930's by the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) for hydroelectric power generations, as part of FDR's Rural Electrification Program. Even today, none of the water in the lakes is used for irrigation or homes that I know of, it is all run through turbines and then goes down river to the next dam.

      My mom lives in Corvallis, Oregon. She pays a water bill of about $140.00 a month, just for one old lady. She pays for the water coming into the house, then she has a meter on the line going to the sewer system, and she is billed for "waste water." So if you take a shower, or wash the dishes, the meter is clicking over on both the incoming line and the outgoing line. Makes no sense to me.

      Lots of people collect gray water and use it for irrigation of their gardens and such. Rain water is the most frequent source of gray water here.

      Delete
    2. What? Your mom pays for fresh and waste water? Never heard of such a thing. Makes me wonder how many other cities have this going on in the wacko west part of the state. Our drought is, thankfully, over. Right now it is snowing again and then rain. Wish I could send you some, as we are downright soggy here.

      Delete
    3. Apparently it's not uncommon, at least not in Corvallis. I'm told there is no meter (see comment below) but I know she pays a "waste water" fee.

      Warm here today, but getting cloudy and we are expecting rain again tonight. I suppose if we just have a normal summer, with thunderstorms each evening, we'll get caught up.

      Delete
    4. Many city water systems charge for waste water based on the amount of fresh water used.

      Most of them allow a break if you contact them for, say, filling a pool or some such large usage of fresh water.

      Needless to say, watering your yard with fresh water in these places means they are charging you twice to use the water (fresh and waste) even though you're not putting the water back into the waste system.

      And this ratio based waste water charge also catches those who use grey water for irrigation.

      There is no escaping government...

      Delete
    5. It would seem not. I'm glad I don't have to pay a water bill, although I do have to pay for repairs to my water system here on the mountain sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Just curious, did your brother sell his compound and move north yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I was really amazed. It was perfect, had everything, in exactly the right place. Now he lives in a gated community near Corvallis, in a McMansion.

      Delete
  4. I hate to burst your bubble but there isn't such a thing as metered sewer lines in common use. Corvallis Wastewater Rates are just like everywhere else I'm familiar with, based on metered water consumption and lot size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange. I just talked to my mom about this yesterday,and she says her water bill charges for water she uses, and she also has a "waste water" bill. Whether or not there's an actual meter on her sewer line, as she thinks, I couldn't tell you. It would take a lot more than my 87 year old mom making a mistake about a meter to burst my bubble.

      I had never heard of anything as bizarre as waste water rates til I talked to her, but it is, after all, Oregon.

      Delete
    2. So let me get this straight.....they pay for water to use and then then pay after they use it? That is double tax.....oh, wait....they call it a fee, so that makes it OK. Same BS they pulled on us with Obama care. And then they have to pay for water runoff from rain? Who puts up with that crap? Oh, the liberals on the west side of Oregon. The east side is conservative and sane. Please don't lump us all together.

      Delete
    3. Harry, All corn from the feed store is loaded with pesticides and herbacides like Roundup unless it is marked organic. It is all GMO, unless organic, too.

      Delete
    4. Twoshooz,I buy corn that comes from a local mill, and is sold to our farmers depot as fit for human consumption. Corn meal is a big item here. I would be willing to eat corn from Purina though, if I was in a tight spot, since they wouldn't poison the cows, horses, or chickens that normally eat it. Might not be real good for a person long term, but it beats starving. I don't mind GMO, most of what I buy in the grocery store is frankenfood.

      Delete
    5. What my mom told me on the phone yesterday, was that she has to pay for the water she uses, which comes from the city. She also has to pay for any that flows back into the sewer system. I asked her how they knew how much flowed back into the sewer system, because she is one of the few people there who water her lawn, and that wouldn't be "waste water". She said she had a meter on the sewer system flow, but R sent an email and said she doesn't. So I don't know. I plan to call her the next time I go into town and ask her to mail me a copy of her bill so I can see if the water bill and the waste water bill have the same volumes. She doesn't think they do, but then , she's 87 and might be wrong.

      Delete
    6. Being fit for human consumption is still GMO and sprayed. We only eat organic....no frankenfood. I figure we need to be as healthy as can be before a tight spot comes along. Sure, it is more expensive, but not in the long run as we don't get sick. We used to raise a grass fed beef, but now we sell our organic hay and take the money to buy a grass fed beef all cut and wrapped. Yeah, we are slowing down a little now that we are pushing 80.

      Delete
    7. My kids only eat organic. I never went that route. It does cost a lot more, and I like things you can't get up here that are certified organic. It's easier to do that in a city, where they have whole sections of organic food in the grocery stores. Obviously it can be done, since you are living out in the boonies and still able to eat organic. I just never worried about "organic" and GMO.

      The corn I buy when I think I might eat it myself is a little more expensive, but if you wash it and be careful about things like little rocks and such in it, it makes good cornmeal. I think I would only eat the corn for animals from a big company in dire times, as I know it has mouse crap in it as well as other things that might not hurt me but are not very appetizing. However, my chickens don't care and the Purina is cheap.

      Seems like to me you get it all done in a timely manner. I worry about getting older too.

      Delete
    8. When we had city water with sewage fees, the sewage fees were simply doubled water usage fees. Not sure how they figured that, but it tripled our water bill.

      Regarding whether or not it's safe to eat GMOs, this article may be an incentive - Evidence EPA Colluded With Monsanto to Dismiss Cancer Concerns Grows Stronger. The genes are modified to receive RoundUp. From what I understand. a farmer's contract with Monsanto includes having to apply their specified amount of RoundUp on their crops.

      Delete
    9. Leigh, isn't everything pretty much made with genetically engineered food though. I mean, spaghetti sauce, cereal, frozen veggies, etc. Unless they say "organic" isn't it a pretty safe bet they are frankenfoods? If so, everything you eat would have to be organic to avoid the hazard, and almost no one does that. My kids do, and Tewshooz does, but they are the only ones I know of who do.

      Delete
  5. Tewshooz, I did some looking around on the internet. There are a lot of forums with threads on eating corn from animal feed supplies. There are different opinions, but here's a link to a good discussion.

    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/feed-corn-for-people.248023/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That MP-40 would make a great truck gun for you. Shame that it has to be taxed or whatever else ATF decides to throw at a potential buyer.

    It might raise some hackles to say this, and the purists will scream... but I don't think it will be too long before some enterprising manufacturer lengthens the barrel on that thing just enough to be legal. What's the barrel lenght on it now? Maybe 12 in.? --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are righto on the money. The same German company who makes the 9mm MP-40 coming out now, has long made a .22LR version for sale in Europe. But the one's they sell here have a fake silencer to meet US specs. I would have bought one of the European versions in a split second. They are beautiful guns, cheap to fire, and a good replica of the original. But I don't want one with a long barrel , because it spoils the whole effect.

      I have always said I would never pay for a tax stamp from ATF, but this looks like my only realistic chance to get an MP 40 and I'm not getting any younger. The gun will probably run about $700 when they release the stocked version (I'm just guessing at that) and I think the tax stamp for a short barreled rifle is two or three hundred.

      Here are the specs on the German Sports version of the MP40.

      Here are the GSG 9mm statistics for now:

      Length – 23.82 inches (605mm) without stock
      Length with stock – Approximately 31.5 inches (800mm) – prototype did not have one
      Barrel Length – 9.96 inches (253mm)
      Weight (unloaded) – Approximately 8.26 pounds (3.75 Kg) –

      Delete
  7. Harry,
    I pay for the water that comes through the line into my house with usage measured by a meter. Then, it does not matter if you drink the water and pee elsewhere, you pay for that water. If you wash dishes, you pay for that water. If you water the lawn, you pay for the water. The sewage charge for waste water is based on what came into the house, not where it goes. It can go in the form of pee to where you work. It can be flushed into the sewer after dishwashing. Or, it can be put on the lawn, never touching the sewer...you pay a waste water charge based on what came through the meter.

    I am totally annoyed by this. If you have a pool, they turn the meter off for you and you do not pay for the waste water at all!

    This was in place long before anyone heard of Obama! We are a small town, 16,000, with our own lake for water and a huge water treatment plant. The waste water charge keeps the water safe and treats it and tests it. I really hate the charge, but that is what keeps our water safe.

    Your mother thinks there is a meter as to what goes into the sewer. I think she has the same system as I do. She and I are taxed a waste water charge even if it goes on the lawn. This information might change her mind on how much she can freely water the lawn.
    Would you eat oats that were for animals? I think I would after a lot of sifting by tossing in the air for chaff. Plus, I would try to see if there were rocks, just like for sorting beans.

    About "safe spaces." When I was in school in the mid 90s, a guy sitting next to me started spouting garbage. I immediately turned to him and gave him a piece of my mind. I was not quite and meek. I countered each statement with a rebuttal with the rest of the class agreeing. He never came back to class. I suppose he found a safe space...poor little snowflake. He was much taller than I and weighed much more, but his precious mind could not take higher level thoughts and rebuttal.

    As for fearing getting older--I was so upset at constant pain that was spreading and getting worse that I was sent to a gyno oncologist. The result was that I had a hysterectomy and they guessed right--I had uterine cancer and a complete hysterectomy at 70 year. Plus, my mesentery that holds my small intestine has calcified. I think that if I were older, the doctors might now have listened, the proper tests would not have been done, and I might not have handled the anesthesia well. So, enduring until I am so much older might not have been a good route at an older age. Gee, 70 is old enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Called my brother while I was in town today, and he doesn't know if my mom has a meter or just gets billed based on water input. My mom is adamant she has a meter, says her yard man showed it to her. But someone who lives in Corvallis says there are no meters. Damned if I know. The main thing to me is that it seems completely asinine to bill people for "waste water." If the city wants to squeeze more money out of people, why not just raise the rates? What's the point of going on about "waste water". Are they trying to make people feel badly about using water? Wouldn't surprise me, Corvallis is a college town, infested with academics, and it sound just like something those worms would do to implement "social engineering."

      Getting old sucks, but I know a lot of people ten or fifteen years older than me who are cranking right along. I can feel age gaining on me though. Aches, pains, creaky joints, forgetfulness, all the things people associate with age. The Greeks were right when they used to yell out to the winners of Olympic events, "Die now!" They knew it was all down hill for that person from then on.

      Seems colleges are bereft today of people who will speak their minds. They are populated by Sheeple. I know when I left the Marine Corps and went back to school for my post baccalaureate degree, two leftard idiots teaching there had a problem with me and tried to get me kicked out. Too bad for them that North Georgia is a military school and the Dean was a retired Army Colonel.

      Delete
  8. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)

    You can have the MP-40. I want the PBR boat from Apocalyse Now. I worked on a few PBR's when I was in the Persian Gulf. I'd tear out the old six cylinder, blown Detroit's and shove in a pair of turbocharged Yanmar's.

    Writing about this reminds me of an audio recording I heard years ago that was recorded during a battle in Vietnam. This commanding officer radioed in that he was under attack and wanted air support, then added 'Send in the Stuka's.
    The young radio operator, confused then asked the designation of that aircraft.
    The Commanding Officer radioed in (sorry for the bad word)'Goddamn JU*87's'

    I just about died laughing.

    You gotta be a WW2 history buff to find that one funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hans Ulrich Rudel would certainly get that joke. If I were a world war II pilot, I'd be torn between the Stuka and the FW-190.

      I thought you might get a kick out of the clip from Apocalypse Now. I know you worked on PBR's in the distant past. "Old times there are not forgotten" as the song says.

      Delete
  9. Well, drat, we're still in a drought area too. I thought we were pretty much out of it, except last summer.

    We grow our own field corn for our consumption with a bit for the goats (too rich for goats, really). I have been thinking about using the feed wheat I get from the feed store for human consumption. Even the non-organic wheat is over four times as much at the health food store (for 50# bulk, by the pound is higher). We'll see how this year's wheat crop does though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem ironic, doesn't it, that our tiny bit of Georgia is one of two drought areas in the whole country. We have had a good bit of rain, and if it wasn't for there being no water bubbling up out of my spring, I would think everything was normal here on the mountain.

      Do you use pesticides or is your corn organic? I wash all the grains I grind up, thoroughly, but I don't know if that would get pesticides off of them. I notice that on some things like lettuce we buy at the store, the packaging says to wash thoroughly before using.

      Hope your wheat turns out ok. I am going to try some vegetables and corn this year but that's about it.

      Delete
  10. Harry, regarding your mother's water bill, some municipalities/water coops have a flat rate for x gals of water, then so much per gallon/100 gal, whatever the multiplier is, over the minimum. As for sewer, some have flat rates while others are based on water consumption. That is why, depending on how it is billed, most people put their sprinkler systems on a separate water meter so they wouldn't be billed sewer on that water usage. But no, it isn't unusual to pay for sewer. In fact, I pulled our bill, (here at work) and we paid more for sewer than we did water. Margie in AR (I read all the time, but have never commented before)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, that seems strange to me, charging someone for water and then charging them again when they use it. I have a well, so for the last 32 years or so, I have had no water bill. I can't remember if I had a water bill at the little house I bought outside MCAS New River in the mid seventies, but I must have. In Italy, we didn't pay a water bill, it was part of our rent.

      But this is one more reason to be glad I am not hooked into "the system." I have to pay for electricity, and I have to pay property tax,but that's about it in that regard.

      Thanks for taking the time to look that up. The more I know about "the norm" out of the mountains the better off I am.

      Delete