"There is no doubt that our nation's security and defeating terrorism trump all other priorities."

Arlen Specter

Friday, March 31, 2017

Selling your browser history. When will your number come up?



I guess it doesn't matter. Every time I buy groceries, I have to scan my little card and it sends a list of everything I buy to my file in their data base.

Every  time I try to find a product on line, or look at a page that sells things, Google captures that and uses it to sell adds that pop up on my internet browser.

So I guess being able to buy a list of every web page I look at is not that traumatic.  Unless, of course, we get a Democratic totalitarian regime in control again, and that could be very unpleasant for people like me.








Things continue to get more interesting with the Islamic invasion.  The courts, filled with Obama appointees, have been able to throw a wooden shoe into the works with attempts to stop terrorists from filtering into the county.  MSM continues to assure everyone that Moslems are all nice people and terrorists are just an aberration, a minuscule microcosm of Islam.  But the attacks keep happening, and the dead victims and their families are not consoled by these laudatory paeans to Islam.




This old guy must live in a hidden bunker somewhere, as he lives in England where saying what he says can get you thrown in jail. If not murdered by Moslems, who have already overrun English cities in some parts of the country.  What he says makes sense.  I'd send him a pistol if he could own one,but of course, he can't.

He's sure right about the increase in random Islamic attacks, and the same is true here. How about the poor fellow from Utah who took his wife on a trip to England they'd dreamed of for years. The last terrorist attack there killed him and crippled his wife.  If your number is up, it's up. But the odds are getting better and better of Islamic terror actually touching us or people we care about. And when it does, it will be news for one day, and then everybody will forget it except the people who lost someone.








We're off to town for a bit.  We need to go by the bank, the post office, the library, the grocery store, and the hardware store.  Should be an exciting day.  I'm going to stop by the mill on the way and ask them about eating corn meal made from corn sold at feed stores. The miller should have an opinion on that.  If it turns out that eating corn mill from animal feed stocks is bad, then I probably will quit doing it, though I imagine I already glow in the dark by now if it is.

19 comments:

  1. I have not switched to it yet, but I have read that the DuckDuckGo.com search engine does not sell client's data. Might be worth switching. For all of us with gmail addresses its a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I used the internet for anything I needed to keep secret I'd worry about it more than I do. But as you say, at this point, they could probably tell you more about yourself than you could, so why worry?

      Delete
  2. So, don't use Google search engine. Use DuckDuckGo, they don't track you. Pay cash and get a grocery discount card in a fake name. Get a VPN for your computer.. You really think the miller will give you a straight answer? He has no idea, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do all that, but it seems kind of pointless. I never heard of DuckDuckGo, but I'll pull it up and see if it's as functional as Chrome. The problem I've had in the past with trying things like encrypting email was that it was such a colossal pain in the ass it just wasn't worth it. If the feds want me, I guess they can gin something up based on all the nasty letters I used to send congressmen when I didn't like what they were doing.

      Yeah, I think he will tell me his opinion on it, he just sells corn meal and such locally so why not? It's true, he's just a local guy who owns a stone mill down on the river and sells most of his product to tourists, but surely he knows something about corn, he's made his living off it for decades. Can't hurt to ask.

      As far as this GMO stuff and all, he probably doesn't know much about that. Neither do I, but I'm looking into it. I was driving with the wife down to town today, and I asked her if she didn't figure that every time we ate at a cafe or restaurant, we were eating genetically engineered food. I'm sure most restaurants up here buy what's cheapest and easiest to get, and that would not be organic. I know some African countries won't let genetically engineered products in, but I'm not sure why. Something to do with unintended consequences of the genetic engineering, by product kinds of things, I'm guessing.

      Delete
    2. Most of Europe won't let GMO into their country. It is loaded with Roundup and some of it has its own pesticide built into it. Yeah, its poison.

      Delete
  3. Get an ad blocker on your computer....there are free versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you recommend one that works. I have add blocker set up on Chrome, but it doesn't stop all of them. Particularly if you go to the science section of Fox News, and try to follow a story there, so many adds pop up I usually just shut down the page, open chrome again, and go somewhere else.

      Delete
  4. I read a few years ago about a guy that somehow recruited quite a few people across the country to take out a grocery store's customer card in his name. It was causing all kinds of havoc with the database. It would register an item purchased in one location and a few minutes later something else halfway across the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a guy in town, he's a Viet Nam vet and he's one of those guys who lives off by himself and only comes to town once a month. He lives down on the lake, on a piece of land his mom left him. When he comes to the grocery store, he just asks the person behind him if he can use their card, and they let him. I've let him use mine. Personally, I think it's obnoxious to have my data collected like that, but I don't see how anyone could use it to hurt me. So what if they know I buy the house brand canned beets, you know? But "The Brickman" is sure it's part of a federal program to keep data on how much food each county uses so the feds can starve them out when martial law is declared. Sounds a bit unlikely to me, but then I'm the guy who thought President Trump couldn't win, and didn't believe there was even a real person named George Soros until the election came around. Maybe the Brickman is right.

      Delete
    2. The more they know about you, the less privacy you have. Just on general principal....

      Delete
    3. I agree. If I had a choice, I wouldn't let them do it. But it does't seem like we have much choice without bending over backwards.

      Delete
  5. Corn growers use so many chemicals that if I didn't grow it, I'd be tempted not to eat it. No, I don't grow it. Yes, I still eat some corn products, but not as many as I used to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go in the bathroom, turn out the lights and see if you glow in the dark!

      I don't know. My kids are really careful about what they eat and they wouldn't touch anything that was franken food or not organic. When they come to visit us, we spend a fortune on groceries because we don't have much organic food here and it's very high. My wife says that in the city where the kids live, there's lots of organic food and it isn't that much higher. But here, an organic chicken costs two times what a regular one does at the grocery store.

      I've ground up corn from the feed store and eaten the meal, and so far as I know , it has never hurt me. But if it gave me some kind of cancer or something, I might not know it, so that doesn't really help make a determination.

      Most of what I have found on the internet is from overseas. For some reason, whether or not you can eat whole kernel corn from America is a big deal in Thailand and there was a lot of discussion on that on Thai bulletin boards.

      I found some survivalist boards, and they were pretty much a replication of the conversation here. Some people said it was ok, and they had good rationale for saying so. Other people said it was a bad idea, and they had good rationale for saying so.

      I don't experiment much these days with food , we pretty well have it sorted out what we are going to do if things blow out. I keep the supply of corn out in the barn at several hundred pounds, and feed it to the chickens but I'd eat it if I couldn't get any other food, or needed to ek out my supplies.

      Delete
    2. You are in your sixtys and you complain about how old and stove up you are. Check into what you are eating.

      Delete
    3. Got hurt in an accident last March, just over a year ago. My issues are related to that. Didn't realize I talked about my age so much, I need to not do that.

      Delete
  6. I don't agree with everything Pat Condrell says, but on stuff like this, he's spot-on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy listening to the guy. He makes a good case for his topics, and he doesn't mealy mouth things. That's rare today.

      Delete
  7. Regarding the discount card, years ago I lost the one I had for Kroger that I'd not put a name on, then was in Little Rock, Arkansas where I asked to get a new one and the check out lady *insisted* I filled out the form with it before she gave me a new one, so I wrote in "Dag Hammarskjold, UN Plaza, New York, NY 10012" and the card has always worked just fine and gotten me my discounts. Believe it or not, I'm not the UN secretary from decades ago. KB

    ReplyDelete