“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Maybe that was the last one this season.


Actually, we had more difficulty up here with Nate than we did with Irma.  Not county wide. The power wasn't out for very long with Nate, and there wasn't as much damage with the trees coming down.

Our problems were more associated with very heavy rainfall right on top of us. The mountains are a strange environment in a lot of ways, and the weather is certainly one of them.  It can rain like Hades , and then you come to a point where it just stops.  Literally.  Drive your car down the road, the rain will be thundering down, the windshield wipers laboring away on max, and just like snapping your fingers, there's no rain.  We got hit with a much heavier downpour for about  three hours during the storm than they did at the foot of the mountain. I have no idea why but it probably had to do with the air currents moving the heavy bands of rain.

Because I built my house on a mountainside (only an idiot would build right on the pinnacle of the mountain with the winds we get here), there wasn't any flat place to build at all. Everything we built, we had to cut out of the mountainside with a bulldozer.  So, the rain comes roaring down the steep slopes of the mountain right onto my buildings down slope. I divert the rain with ditches that funnels it away from the buildings.

My pump house is actually built back into the mountainside. It's under one of the parking pads. It has cinder block walls and a gravel floor.  If the water gets backed up on the parking pad, it can soak down under the ground and seep into that tunnel where the pump equipment is.  This time around, in the middle of the night, one of the ditches critical to keeping the water off that parking pad got plugged up, and water got into the pump house.  We keep a sump pump in there, and it's no big deal as long as you catch it before it floods.  I check it periodically with a flashlight when we have heavy  rain, and I caught it this time, but it's aggravating.

Just to be clear, I have a well with a submersible pump out in the forest. This is not what I'm talking about. I mean the water pressure tank, the gauges, the filters, and all that when I say "pump house."





The picture above was taken right by my well and it's housing. If you look just to the left of the center of the picture, you can see a whitish shape.  That's the well.   The well and the pump house are about 200 feet apart, connected by underground electric lines and water pipes.


Anyway,  I guess this wasn't as bad a storm as Irma but it required a lot more action on my part. I sure hope we have seen the last of these hurricane remnants for this season.  The storm brought in masses of wet gulf air. Our humidity has been over 90% since it came through, and with temps in the high eighties, going outside gets pretty miserable.


A good deal on Beretta pistols:


Addendum: Wednesday afternoon: Commander Zero pointed out that these Beretta 92S pistols have a heel magazine release rather than the side release more common today. Being a Walther P-38 aficionado , that doesn't bother me but it might be an issue with other shooters. Here's a link to a good review on the Beretta 92S.


Tactical Life - The Rare Beretta 92S




The Beretta 92 in all it's incarnations is a good weapon.  This is a very good price on them, even without the free magazine. Again, if you don't have an FFL you have to go through your FFL dealer to get these, because SOG is a wholesaler. A C&R (curio and relic license) won't work on these guns, has to be a full fledged dealer FFL.



Just hit the news stands.  This is a good issue.  For one thing, the "shoot or not to shoot" issue has bothered me since I ran into those four black louts in Chattanooga. I'm glad I didn't shoot them, since I am not in jail right now. But I am still furious that I had to listen to their abuse and watch their posturing without doing anything about it. Sometimes you just have to bite your lip and refuse to be provoked, but it doesn't feel good.  I thought this article made a lot of sense.

There's also a great segment on military surplus ammunition.  I liked it even if I didn't agree with everything the author wrote. When will you ever agree with anyone else on a shooting topic, 100%?

I have been storing and using military surplus ammo since 1986. Off the top of my head, I've cached away and fired some of the following:

  • Portuguese 8mm  Mauser. Steel cased, non-corrosive. It worked ok in some of my rifles, but not in others. The problem was that it was  produced for machine guns, and had "harder" primers.  This is a strange solution to a problem I don't quite understand, but apparently some countries put "harder" primers in machine gun ammo than they did in rifle ammo. I read an explanation of this once, that it was to prevent slam fires in the automatic weapons, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. Maybe someone out there understands the mechanics of that better than I do.
  • Australian 7.62X51.  Super ammo.  Brass cased, non-corrosive, some packed in bandoleers and some in cellophane wrappers in the can.  This ammo was boxer primed so it was reloadable.
  • Ecuadorian 7.62X51.  Steel cased, corrosive. Dirty ammo, but it all fired.
  • Venezuelan 7.62X51.  Brass cased, reloadable, great ammo.
  • Turkish 8mm Mauser: Brass cased, corrosive, very hot. Came in wooden cases, with steel spam cans, holding bandoleers on stripper clips. Some folks say it is too hot, but I have fired hundreds of rounds out of my different mausers and never had a problem. You get some neck cracks, but it's not reloadable.
  • Estonian .223.  Brass cased, reloadable, good ammo, no problems. In bandoleers, in the can.
  • Austrian and German  8X56R.  Production dates 1936-1939. Brass cased, non reloadable, corrosive. Never had any problems with it.
  • Indian 7.62X51. This is one of the rare cases where there was a problem with the ammo, but it wasn't in firing it.  First, a lot of it came into the country in cellophane packs, in the can. That ammo was fine. Then a second lot came in packed loose, and that lot was "recalled" by the wholesalers. The bullets weren't crimped correctly and they were loose in the round. I used an inertial bullet puller to pull the bullets and threw the brass away , as it was Berdan primed. It had been sold so cheap I still made out.
  • Russian 7.62X54.  I've bought cases and cases of this. Some of it was brass cased on stripper clips, some of it was packed in 20 round boxes in the case. Russia made several different versions of the 7.62X54, and I've fired just about all of them out of my Moisin Nagants. I don't fire surplus in my SVT-40's because they are a nightmare to field strip, and any surplus Eastern Block ammo is  bound to be corrosive and non-reloadable. I did get a full can of American 7.62X54 that was an overrun from a contract for the Afghanistan Army, and it was good. Brass cased and reloadable.
  • Yugoslavian 7.62X54.  Lots of this. Some on stripper clips, some in 20 round packs. Yugoslavian ammo is very good, regardless of whether it's virtually new or is 1953 production (I've got both).
  • Polish 8mm Mauser.  Post war production, steel cased, not reloadable, corrosive. Good stuff.
  • Bulgarian 7.62X25 Tok. This is another of those weird deals where they made the ammo with a "hard" primer for submachine guns and a "normal" primer for pistols. I fire it out of two CZ-52 pistols I own, and it works fine.  Comes in a can, in string tied packages. Brass cased, corrosive, never had a problem with it.
  • 7.62X39.  I've got Russian , Polish and Yugoslavian surplus. The Yugo is the best, but it all shoots fine.
The point of all this is that I've got a lot of experience shooting surplus ammo, and I have found it to be good stuff overall. Like anything, you can get a "lemon" but I've been pretty fortunate there. The only real problem I ever had was a case of 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser that had some corrosion on the brass cases. I just sanded it off with a wire brush on a Dremel tool.




Branco is back from his vacation:







Thought for the Day:






A little music to watch the sun go down to:





26 comments:

  1. Hi Harry :) That quote from Plato hits the nail on the head. I don't get the whole football kneeling thing...I don't pay attention to sports or politics, so I guess it's gone over my head, but I'm also guessing it has to do with Trump?

    Anyway, most of what you described went right over my head. But these are things I need to teach myself, both Alex and I need to know about pumps and wells and drainage etc because we plan to live in the woods and mountains too. Is that you in the photo? I love the t-shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, some black athletes (who make millions of dollars a year) have decided that instead of standing for the national anthem at sporting events, they will kneel down to protest their "oppression." I don't watch organized athletics, but I wouldn't pay a red cent to watch these creeps on television or in person if I did.

      If you are going to go live in the boondocks, you sure need to get a good handle on a well, the pumping system, the septic tank system, and so much more. But you are going about it the right way, doing the research. I came up here from Camp Lejeune, after living on the beach for few months to decompress when I left the Marine Corps. I just did this outfit here by guess and by golly. Most of it I got right, some of it, I did not.

      That's me. My wife bought me that shirt. I have never been very good as a "people person." I lack social skills >:-(

      Delete
    2. Social skills or not, that's kind of our motto too. We just don't like people too much. Nothing wrong with that!

      I think that people hold on way too much to the past. We can't deny oppression happened, but some people forget that it happened (happens) in EVERY race, religion and gender, but sometimes it's best to just move on and get over it. I'd take a million dollars to be oppressed! ;)

      I like that saying "by guess and by golly"! We're trying to learn all we can over the next few years. Alex subscribed to the "This Old House" channel online and he's been watching the shows that started since day one. He's really learning a lot. My job is to learn a bit more about real estate and tax laws since I have the accounting background in me.

      Delete
    3. I have trouble working with people. I'm impatient and I get angry quickly. Not as bad as I was years ago, but it's still a factor. I'm not really comfortable in crowds, and I'm much more relaxed in the woods than in a town.

      I don't have much tolerance for the one's you are talking about, the whiners, the manipulators, the worthless dross of humanity. I don't feel sorry for them.

      There's a book by Ragnar Benson that you might want to get a copy of, Rain. It's called "Starting a Life in Rural America." Costs about twenty dollars here in the U.S. and worth every penny. Amazon has it. I think almost all of it would apply to Canada, in terms of things to watch out for and desirable qualities to search for in a piece of property.

      Dr. Jim just made the leap from California to Colorado. His blog is called "Every Blade of Grass" and is on the blog role on the right side of my blog, down towards the bottom. Some of the things he has experienced might be useful to you.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the book suggestion, I found it on Amazon.ca too...I'll add that to my wish list. I was able to view the table of contents and it looks like something we would find really useful! Oh Harry, I have no tolerance for whiners either...I call them the "armpit" of society. If we really are honest, we feel oppressed here in Quebec being English people. The prejudice is all around us and for the most part we grin and bear it, but it gets annoying. Our solution is to leave this province when we move, so we can be around English people again.

      Delete
    5. Rain, maybe you could move down to where Kymber and J live. I never get tired of looking at the beautiful pictures they post, of the beach and the river, and their place. I don't know if it's possible to make a living there, but those two seem to have stuck it out and gotten well established.

      I think that book will be helpful. Especially since he talks about the "little things" that people don't think of, but get bit in the derriere about later on.

      I don't think I would like to live in Quebec. My wife and I spent a good bit of time in France while we were stationed in Italy. I noticed that because she was fluent in French and had been educated in France, we were treated well when she did the talking. But if the people in Paris fingered me as an American who spoke no French, sometimes they were "not nice." Out in the countryside, we always got treated well there though.

      Nobody likes being a minority. Everyone is better off with their own kind, with people who share their values. I know it's politically correct to say otherwise, but there's no common sense associated with political correctness. Most of us have to live in the world as it is, not like somebody in the palace on the hill would like it to be.

      I get really mad at the "gimme dat" crowd. I got my first job at 14, and I worked, and hard, more than 40 years for what I have. I don't have any patience for the sit on your butt and hold out your hand for something you didn't earn bunch. >:-(

      Hang in there. Tewshooz and I were just talking about what a tough year this has been, for all of us. Maybe we will have a quiet, peaceful winter and that will give us all time to relax, and get on an even keel again.

      I sure hope so.

      Delete
  2. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Interesting description on ammo. On the subject on when to shoot and when not to shoot. I look at it this way. I think its best not to shoot unless you have no other choice. You ran out of options and if you don't shoot, you or an innocent person is about to die. Then its okay too shoot. You kinda have to think like a lawyer. The police detectives will interview you and relize based on the evidence, story etc. You had no choice and you were within state guidelines for self defense. The case gets sent to the D.A. and is reviewed and even if the D.A is anti-gun. The D.A. relizes he has no case. The Judge, Jury will back you up in court and attempting to prosecute you will be a waste of time and resources for the D.A.'s office.

    We live with a 'Criminal Justice Industry' Not a system, but an industry that looks for new and better ways to prosecute people, refer them to private prisons and seeks money for restitution, court fee's and convicts have to pay for their probation officer's time, etc. The lawyers, bail bondsman, and everyone else makes money off the defendant and more money off of conviction, fines, restitution, confiscation of property etc, etc.

    Its best to stay away from the entire criminal justice industry.
    It reminds me of 19th Century debters prisons and British ships hauling away convicts to far off colonies for slave labor.
    'Basically we have become like the 18th and 19th Century British Empire. We have become what our founders fought against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in Georgia if you are attacked, you can blow them away and the DA can't come after you. That's how it is supposed to work, but in point of fact, some ambitious District Attorney's like to wheedle away on what constitutes "an attack." Tennessee has similar laws but I don't know theirs as well.

      The problem is, does the law say you have to let four idiots verbally abuse you and threaten your life because they don't have weapons on them that you can see?

      At the time that happened, it was all the "Travon" and "Gentle Giant Michael" rage, and Chattanooga is pretty much a non-white city now. I figured if I blew these guys away, the cops would be black, the city officials would be black, and I'd be toast.

      I just don't see many articles on "shoot or don't shoot" and I never really gave a lot of thought to what I could do in a bad situation that came right up to the line but didn't cross it. I have that covered now though.

      Even at my age, you learn through experience.

      I concur with your analysis of the "criminal Justice Industry." You have it exactly right. It's best to stay well away from the police, and the courts. That's 100 percent true.

      Delete
    2. someone said justice and the court system are two different things.

      Delete
    3. Hey Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      'The problem is, does the law say you have to let four idiots verbally abuse you and threaten your life because they don't have weapons on them that you can see'

      Unfortunetly in a situation like that there is nothing you can do, unless the bad guys get out of thier car and start beating on your car and draw guns. Then according to Texas law. You have the right to defend yourself (Stand your ground law) along with your car is recognized as the same as your house. As long as your not provoking or did not initiate the attack and your acting in pure self defense. Then as I fully understand it, deadly force is justifiable.

      I don't like being insulted, bullied or put down because of my race, etc. That does not give me the right to shoot the person doing the insulting. Now maybe a hundred and twenty years ago that would have been justified but going back to my original premise 'Harry. Does a person want to spend time in prison because they shot someone who hurt their feelings?
      Its best I think to avoid crowds and stay away from 'ethnically diverse area's and have friends that are of like mind and culture. Also seek to live in area's and be around people of like mind and culture.

      Delete
    4. Deborah, they did, and they were exactly right.

      Delete
    5. CC, I don't think aberrant behavior like these bottom feeders displayed should go unpunished. The world would have been a much better place if they weren't in it. And seeing that kind of thing emboldens other Goblins to behave the same way. But as far as I know, you have to think your life was under threat to use the stand your ground law. You better be able to prove it, too.

      Your last paragraph is exactly right, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Unfortunately, now the Goblins are moving into our area and I ask myself, is there anywhere I can live without having to deal with these evolutionary throwbacks?

      Delete
  3. Glad you are OK, Harry. Mountains have some spectacular weather. don't they? Worst thunder and lightening I ever experienced was in mountains in Idaho. My granddaughter lives in Santa Rosa, CA and fire all around her. California is burning up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz, how are you doing out there? I hope the fires have been put out and the air quality is better. They are burning up (literally) in California at the moment, that's for sure. I hope your granddaughter is safe and that her property isn't damaged. I have been watching that on the news. It was sad about the loss of life, particularly the old couple who had been married for so long.

      We get real thunder boomers here in summer, and sometimes, not often but once in awhile, we get snow storms with thunder. People probably think I made that up, but it's true.

      Delete
    2. We are OK now. Smoke from CA fires reached us day before yesterday but then the wind shifted and died down. Fires in CA still out of control and granddaughter is packed and ready to go if need be. So far safe, but air quality is purple zone. I have heard thunder in a snowstorm, too. This has been one heck of a year, Harry

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to hear it. I was looking at the pictures of my trip out there to your part of the country years ago, and I thought about you. Sometimes I would gladly trade the mountains for your part of the country, beautiful as it is here. I love those long, open views, and all that land with no sign of humans.

      California is in deep kimchi, and though I detest it as part of the Left Coast, I also know a lot of good people live there, decent people. I feel badly for those who lost their homes, and the fact that North Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, and Western North Carolina went through exactly the same experience a year ago makes me more sympathetic.

      It has been one tough year, on just about every front, hasn't it? I was thinking that the other night, sitting out on the porch and listening to the night sounds in the forest. On both a personal level, and a "national" level, there's been a lot to deal with.

      Being older doesn't make it a lot easier to handle, either. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

      Delete
    4. I wish I were your age again, Harry. Why, you are just a young'un compared to me.

      Delete
    5. I sure don't feel young. Unloading all those feed sacks getting ready for Nate, my knees gave me the devil the next day. When I was 32 I could run 3 miles, in combat boots, under eighteen minutes. Now, I doubt I could walk a mile in that time.

      But still, life is so easy going now, compared to the rest of my life, that I shouldn't complain . "Every day a holiday, every meal a feast."

      Delete
  4. Worth noting, those Beretta 92's use the older style magazine release mounted on the side of the butt of the gun. "Normal" mags like we are used to for the M9/92FS series will not work with them. Notice in the picture there is no provision for an "American"-style magazine release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't give that any thought, being a Walther P-38 fan, but I'm glad you pointed it out as something people might need to know before they actually ordered one. I put an addendum on that part of the post. I didn't know myself that the magazines for my other Beretta's wouldn't fit these. I still might buy one though, just because they are collectibles and the price is right.

      Delete
  5. Good memes - I'm going to steal them and put them on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help yourself, Gorges. I have been seeing some good memes on your blog, and I enjoy them. Glad to have something you can use.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear the storm damage this time around was minimal. You sure have had more than your share this year. We had a few thunder-boomers pass through, but no major midwest summer storms. I hear tell we are in for a nasty winter, but I am ready and plan to watch the snow pile up from my living room window. Wrapped in a quilt. Coffee cup nearby. Being somewhat housebound isn't always a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I sure hope that Nate was the last of them. A big storm like that totally disrupts my routine, and it's no fun having to clean up after one.

      I am hearing this winter is going to be very cold too, and we are all ready for that. I'm anxious for the cold weather to come. I like cold and dry weather a lot better than the summer heat and humidity.

      I also know though, that by the time winter is half over I'll be saying I sure wish Spring would get here. Never satisfied.

      Delete
  7. Good to know you all came through this one. We have friends in Florida and back in 2005 or 2003 they were hit with two Hurricanes that both damaged their house. Called it Hurricane Fatigue. I'm guessing you guys are close to that limit. Sorry to say we may not be done yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. West Side Mom, you really do get burned out with things like hurricane remnants. They wear you down, and the worst is having to clean up time after time, even if the storm doesn't actually damage your house.

    Most of the web cams I like to look at on the beaches of Florida went out during these last hurricanes and have still not been restored. I guess it will take them a long time to get everything back to normal there.

    You may be right. Hurricane season isn't over by a long shot. I'm watching the weather for anything forming up in the Atlantic. I'd be happy not to see any storms out there for the rest of the season.

    ReplyDelete