“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, November 10, 2017

242nd Marine Corps Birthday.


The U.S. Marine Corps was formed 242 years ago today.

The birthday is the social event of the year for Marines. In big garrison towns, there will be formal balls.  In places like Europe, where only a few Marine Officers may be stationed in a particular place, they will hold the ball and it will be a big time for everyone. Expensive, since the cost is large and it's prorated amongst the officers.  Where there are Marines, there will be a celebration of some sort, commensurate with the situation.


8 comments:

  1. Happy Green Birthday, Sir.

    Thanks for your service, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Marine Corps was good to me. And good for me. I joined "to see the world" and they sure made good on that promise.

      Delete
  2. Semper Fi, Harry, and thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dr. Jim, wish I was young enough to do it all again. Most of it, anyway.

      Delete
  3. Harry, Thank you for your service in the Marines, Our nation can never repay for the sacrifices made by so many. Semper Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob. I had a good career and got my money's worth out of it.

      Delete
  4. I also must thank you for your service, even though we are in separate countries, I very much respect soldiers...well, the good guys that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, when it comes to the nitty gritty, Canadians and Americans stand together. Your soldiers did yeoman service in Afghanistan. They are good troops. Did you know Kymber was in the Canadian military? She's got some stories to tell! One of the reasons she and I hit it off so well was that we had that shared experience.

      Delete