“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Epic Journey in search of an ammo can. Let's be fair about this. A little help from my friends (for the blog)


Walmart Ammo can.  $12.98 plus tax


Raining and cold here.  That's ok, at least it's weather appropriate for the time of year.

We launched out of here early today.  M had a doctors appointment at 0800, which meant we had to be up by 0600 and on the road by 0700.  (46 miles to Dr. office)

Then, we tried to find a nice place for breakfast in that town, but failed utterly, wound up at McDonalds. For $12.00 I had a steak and onion bagel that was burned, and she had a ham and egg bagel that wasn't cooked well enough. But as I told her, it's McDonalds. You only eat there if you have no choice.




On Being Retired (both of you at the same time)



Then we went to Murphy, N.C. (29 miles away),  to go to Walmart. I desperately needed another .50 cal ammo can for some very special ammo, but our Walmart was out this week.  When I got to Murphy, they didn't have any ammo cans either, but my wife found an Indian blanket she liked so it wasn't a total waste. Also, there are two women's clothing stores she likes in Murphy, so we had to go to those. Remember, I bought that Kindle that cost $200.00 last week, well......


Before anyone sends me a gift subscription to this magazine, let me explain.   I considered the Kindle as a nice to have item. Because I can't read my magazines on the 7 inch Kindle anymore. So naturally, that is an elective purchase on my behalf. 

 SO, it had to come out of the unallocated funds part of the budget that we split. 

 SO,  having told my wife I bought the thing, in keeping with our rule that we don't hide things from each other, she felt some clothing purchases were essential on her side of the ledger.

 She feels it imperative to be well dressed when we go out in town. For me, of course, so I will be proud of her.....

I know her appearance is important to her.  I think she considers me to be a fashion accessory. So much so, that sometimes I have to go change my clothes before I go into town, and put on clothes she gets out for me.  She's very considerate that way.



We did not always have this rule.  Thank God, or I would not have the gun collection I do now. Not that I hid gun purchases over our married life. I just didn't tell her about them. She wouldn't have been interested, she isn't a gun person. So when I bought new guns, I just brought them into the house and quietly put them away. When she wasn't around.



But when we both retired, we were right there together all the time, and to avoid any misunderstandings, we both share whatever we are doing, so "off the books" purchases don't fly anymore.....   So see, it's all copacetic and I don't need a subscription to "Whipped."


Sent by a friend :






JUST A FEW QUESTIONS & THOUGHTS…

1- Since only 8 million people have ObamaCare, how will 24 million people die if it is repealed? Will 16 million people be randomly shot?

2- If Donald Trump deleted all of his emails, wiped his server with Bleachbit and destroyed all of his phones with a hammer, would the Mainstream Media suddenly lose all interest in the story and declare him innocent?

3- If women do the same job for less money, why do companies hire men to do the same job for more money?

4- If you rob a bank in a Sanctuary City, is it illegal or is it just an Undocumented Withdrawal?

5- Each ISIS attack now is a reaction to Trump policies, but all ISIS attacks during Obama's term were due to Climate Change and a plea for jobs?????

6- After the London 'Lone Wolf' terrorist attack government officials have arrested at least eight other 'Lone Wolves' who had conspired with the original 'Lone Wolf' in planning the 'Lone Wolf' attack. Even though all involved are Muslims, you can be assured, the 'Lone Wolf; attack has nothing at all to do with Islam, just like the other 1000 plus 'Lone Wolf' attacks by Muslims, are completely unassociated with Islam?????

7- We should stop calling them all 'Entitlements'.
Welfare, Food Stamps, WIC, are not entitlements. They are taxpayer-funded handouts, and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veterans Benefits are Entitlements because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

8- If Muslims want to run away from a Muslim country, does that mean they're Islamophobic?

9- If Liberals don't believe in biological gender then why did they march for women's rights?

10- How did the Russians get Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the DNC to steal the Primary from Bernie Sanders? How did Russia get Donna Brazile to leak debate questions to Hillary Clinton in advance of the debates?

11- Why is it that Democrats think Superdelegates are fine, but they have a problem with the Electoral College?

12- If you don't want the FBI involved in elections, don't nominate someone who's being investigated by the FBI.

13- If Hillary's speeches cost $250,000 an hour, how come no one shows up to her free ones?

14- The DNC is mad at Russia because they 'think' they Russia is trying to manipulate our election by exposing that the DNC is manipulating our election?


15- Why is it that Liberals and the Media are upset about the words Trump used 11 years ago but they are alright with Adult men using the Ladies Room with your Wives and Daughters?



Some good cartoons from another friend:  They make sense to me.







The same person sent these as well: They make sense, too.












Thought for the Day:






24 comments:

  1. I love those old ammo cans. I had mine on the boat we lost. I kept chargers, adapters and other odds and ends in it. The can had a couple extra coats of paint on to prevent rusting.

    When the wreck was pulled out a couple days later I found the can embedded in a bulkhead. Had to pry it out. Much of the paint had been knocked off it. It had been 15 feet underwater. When I opened it up, everything was dry. Amazing.

    Friend of mine used to be able to get them free from where he worked. These are the real deal, not China knockoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a friend who could cumshaw some of those cans. I scrounged most of mine from surplus stores and paid a bundle for them. I always put rare or expensive ammo in ammo cans, for exactly the reasons you pointed out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Got to keep a sense of humor these days 😉

      Delete
  3. After seeing your voter map of East Virginia, I am sure glad that I don't live there. If you hate being around moslems,
    niggers and mexicans, move where there are very few of them, WEST by GOD Virginia! Don't worry about the high taxes, you'll end up paying high taxes anywhere you go anyway. We have a republician governor, and China just signed agreements to buy $83 million of natural gas from us. Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I just wrote out a long reply on this damned kIndle, and when I tried to publish it the comment disappeared. Let me try again.

      When I moved here in 1986, the population was less than 15,000. There were only two roads coming into the county, both windy, twisty two lane roads.

      The ethic make up was 99 percent white and 1 percent Cherokee. There were families here, with kids, and it was a perfect place to live. Now the population fluctuates up to 30,000 in the summer. It's almost all old people. We are having the same problems with racial friction most of the country is having. As a result of our burgeoning "multiculturalism" we have crime like never before. The recent arrival of Islamists here is just about the last straw. I went to the community center last week and there was a flyer on the door touting " a presentation on the history of Islam" by some organization I never heard of before. What the hell?
      My wife would like to move, but I don't want to give up my land and home. I'd like to pass it on to my kids as a going concern, although neither of them want to come back here to live as of now. It isn't the place they grew up in anymore.

      West Virginia is one of the few places that doesn't seem to be involved in the Balkanization of the country. Somehow, your state has managed to survive largely intact. And now, the economic situation up there is looking really good , the future there looks really promising. If I was going to move out of North Georgia, and I could go anywhere I wanted, I'd be looking at the beach somewhere, or some desert land in New Mexico, or another mountain top up your way.

      Delete
  4. "A Good Ammo Can Is Hard To Find".....especially when not so long ago you could get them for peanuts.

    The milsurp place not too far from me in Kalifornia would get palletfuls of them from all over the world. They'd sort them, scrap some, and sell the rest by grades.

    I picked up a dozen or so "Grade B" 50 cal US cans for about $9 each because I bought more than 10.

    Thanks for the humor, too. You always post great ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody once told me that the U.S. military is now required to destroy the ammo cans, rather than selling the cans that are being surveyed, so they can be retailed to the public. I don't know if this is true, but most of the cans I have laid hands on in the last few years have all been new. Some I bought from Walmart, some I ordered from AIM, or other surplus outfits.

      I wish I could buy them for $9.00, and I wish I had laid in a about 20 cans back when they weren't so expensive. But as you say, they weren't that hard to find or so dear not so long ago.

      I try to keep a good sense of humor. My alternative is usually a black rage, which makes my blood pressure go up.

      Delete
    2. I know for a while they were shredding their once used brass, and then that got stopped because they could get much more money for once fired brass than for scrap brass.

      I never heard that about the ammo cans.....

      Delete
    3. I didn't know that about the brass! Glad common sense prevailed there. As for the ammo cans, I don't know that it was true, and I can't see the point anyway, but a fellow told me that on the blog as I recall.

      Delete
  5. 1- Balanced discretionary purchases are fair. You like stuff, she likes stuff.

    2- The women who dress us are doing us a favor. We make poor choices/ look bad and they are trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were both working, I earned more. But she got a pension and medical/dental insurance for us, which I did not get from the company I worked for.

      So, it seems right to split the discretionary money. Sometimes we do things together like take an overnight trip somewhere, but usually she has her interests and I have mine. As you pointed out, we both like "stuff."

      When I was a kid, my mom dressed me.
      When I went in the Marine Corps, I never had to worry about what to wear, the POD (plan of the day, don't know if you used that acronym in the army) told me.
      Then I got married and left the Marine Corps, and my wife has been buying my clothes ever since. She's good at it. she knows I like to be comfortable.

      Delete
  6. Another well written stop and think post. Can you order the ammo cans online with free shipping?? I tried to buy a table saw this summer, after it being sold out I ordered one online the next day picked it up fully assembled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sportsman's Guide has them ever so often with free shipping, but I think they are pretty much the cans I get at Walmart and they cost $7.00 more. The one's I get at Walmart are Chinese knock off's, as Six Bears said, but they meet my needs, are easy to get, and relatively cheap.

      Delete
  7. I understand your dilemma with the 'Fun Fund'. It's complicated. The way my wife and I are able to take care of that is:

    We share the common house bills, including expenses for the kids. Insurance costs are individually paid (I pay mine, she pays hers). We share the cost of the kid's insurance. Vehicle payments and repairs - individual.

    Our 'Fun Funds' are also indviduals. I have my hobbies (okay - obsessions! :^) and she has hers. We each pay them as individuals.

    Keeps it real. I don't complain what she spends on her motorcycles and clothing, she doesn't complain what I spend on knives and hunting supplies. Its worked for us for 21 years and keeps the grumbling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big thing, is that it works. Like the old saw says" If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

      Sounds like you have a good system. Especially since you have different interests. Also, since she's working, if she can balance her books, and clearly she does, then no problem both of you juggling the expenses together. The gears will mesh ok.

      My wife was never taught how to handle money when she was a young woman. Her dad handled it all, her mom didn't know how either . My mom never learned how. Back in the 50's, women didn't pay the household bills, at least, in the South. When we got married, I thought I would teach my wife how to do the money because I was working two jobs after we got out of the service, and I was tired. She was home with the baby.

      So I gave her the check book, and told her "pay the bills when they come in." I assumed she knew I meant, when there's enough money to write a check. But I made a mistaken assumption. She studiously paid the bills when they came in, but then the banker called me and said "Hey, Harry. We don't mind covering your checks and we aren't charging you any overdraft, but try to keep it under $1000.00, will you?"

      That was it for M paying the bills. She still doesn't. When her dad died, her brother in law took over paying Ruby's bills and all, because she was clueless. When my dad passed, my brother had to take over my mom's finances because she was clueless. When I croak, my daughter will have to take care of her mother's accounts.

      My wife is good with money, very frugal, never asks for much. She just doesn't understand the double entry book keeping method. Money in, money out. Together!

      Delete
  8. Crowofthedead says:
    Hey Harry...kinda spendy but you can get new milspec ammo cans made in USA here: https://armyforcegear.com/collections/ammo-cans/products/army-force-gear-waterproof-metal-ammo-can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow, let me take a look at that. I am always greedy for new sources of surplus. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  9. I don't trust the China made ones in the stores. I buy MILSURP ones from surplus stores (admittedly much easier near military posts) or lately from a local guy.

    Have you tried old Grouchs surplus? They are online and have pretty good prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese cans are ok for what I do, which is just storing them on a shelf. I doubt they would hold up in the field. I have not tried to purchase anything from Old Grouchs but I think someone else said they were a good source and then I forgot to look at them. I'll check their web site. I always like to have new sources of supply.

      Delete
    2. The Chinese ones would probably work. Mine are also sitting on shelves, garages, etc. The surplus ones can be a hassle to get sometimes but I haven't really paid more than the Chinese ones cost.

      Delete
    3. I'd prefer U.S. military surplus if I could get it. Might have to put more effort into it anyway, as the Walmarts within driving distance (i.e. in adjacent counties) seem to have dried up in this regard.

      Delete
  10. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    The mil-spec ammo cans down here in Texas at the gun shows are about $12.00 for a .50 cal. can. There are a great many down here. The gun stores have many, many more cans of different sizes etc.
    I heard the rumors of mil ammo cans were supposed to be destroyed. I think that is incorrect from what I am seeing.

    I still think the vast amount of non-lethal U.S. military gear winds up on the open market. There is a surge of stuff I think from the previous decades of war in the middle east spilling over into the U.S. market.
    One chap in my area purchased one of those new trucks that was supposed to take over for the duce and half. The four wheeled, cab over truck with a diesel engine.
    He got one at auction for $13.000 in San Antonio and drives it everyday as a work truck.

    The Saxet Gun show circuit has stuff like you would not believe. Lots of mil surplus in San Antonio with all the bases there.

    Saudi Arabian News!

    I am watching the happenings in Saudi Arabia with glee. A great many (maybe 500 princes) have been picked up. One helo with 8 princes crashed (shot down trying to escape maybe)

    A great many princes were giving money to the DNC, Clinton Foundation, etc, etc. Also several of the princes were heavy investors in the high tech firms out of California that influenced U.S. Politics.
    It is suspected that the princes that were picked up also were funneling money to terror organizations of all types.

    The new crown prince is cleaning house and going after camel jockeys that have been funding everything from the first World Trade Center attack back in '93 to 9/11 highjackers, Khobar Towers attackers, etc, etc.

    When they start beheading those bastards I want to see the video, drink beer and eat bacon at the same time. Then I will urinate on a Koran. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

    I hear so far the new crown prince has added 800 billion to Saudi's treasury from all the money confiscated.

    I also here rumors of war with Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Israel.
    The President of Lebanon just resigned for some unknown reason and the SCUD missile that Yemen shot at Saudi Arabia was made in Iran (no surprise) any goat herder with aircraft sheet metal, some chemicals and household wiring experience can slap together a SCUD missile and make it land within five miles of target!

    I wanna air battles between Saudi F-16's and the old F-14's we sold Iran back in the 70's. I wanna know how the hell Iran can keep the F-14 airworthy?

    The upcoming war will be epic.

    Best thing we can do is stay the hell out of it and let all those camel humping bastards kill each other off.


    All those Saudi Princes that have ben

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been watching events in Saudi Arabia as well. There's always been a lot of jockeying for position in that crowd. One of the problems with having fifteen wives is winding up with a large number of children who are only half siblings. That makes for a big extended family all at each other's throats. The Ottoman Turks solved the problem by murdering all the male siblings of a new Sultan, but the Saudis never embraced that solution. I know the Royal family there contains both religious fanatics and supporters of secular society. My guess is that this has more to do with that schism than with corruption. What we call corruption is just the normal way of doing business there.

    We have one gun show within driving distance here about once a quarter. I haven't seen ammo cans at one in a long time. I wish I had the number of shows you have there. I'd go to all of them.

    ReplyDelete