“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, July 7, 2013

5th day of heavy rain.

Rain all last night, and still coming down this morning.   I am using this enforced down time to rest a bit. The humidity outside is 97% but inside the buildings the gauges are all reading between 58 and 60%.  That's still high, but once this wet gulf air mass blows out, something drier will come along and I'll get those levels down.

Rawles' Survival Blog is back up in an attenuated form.  Basically like an old style 1980's "bulletin board". I seriously doubt this was the work of some demented Nibelung.  It strikes me as being fairly sophisticated, and there are plenty of left wing organizations out there  who have a documented history of pursuing the destruction of those they deem to be "enemies"   by any means, fair or foul.  As I recall, Rawles was recently pilloried by one of those little cabals.

Having  had a minor accident while taking out some tree limbs near the main house,  I'm not in 100% condition though I am getting back up to snuff rapidly.  I got one of the little SKS "paratroopers" out of deep storage, and will use it while meandering around outside in lieu of the AK47 I usually take out.  Much lighter and less cumbersome.


In the late 1980's and early to mid 1990's, I bought a considerable amount of ammunition in wooden crates containing spam cans of ammo.  That's very difficult to find these days but in that time period it was plentiful and cheap.  One of the items I bought was a full case of Yugoslavian 7.62X39.  It is full metal jacket, brass cased, non-corrosive and Berdan primed, (hence non-reloadable).  It all came on stripper clips, ten rounds to the clip, so I can carry a few of those to off set the fact that the SKS has a ten round magazine and the AK47 uses 30 round detachable mags. I never load those with more than 20 rounds at a time anyway.

Although we have many types of predatory animals , from the bear to the panther, I've never had a real problem with any of them in all the years I've lived here. I have had , on the other hand, a few run in's with the two legged type of unwelcome guest out  in the woods. It just pays to have some defensive capability to hand if you are working around the place in a setting like this one. The demonstrated capability to protect yourself encourages potential aggressors to move on down the trail.

Least anyone think differently, I have never killed or wounded an animal up here on the mountain top. I have, on occasion, used overhead fire or even smoke grenades to get rid of uninvited guests like bears, coyotes, hogs, et al.  But I've never let myself get into a situation where I had to hurt them.  My feeling is that they live here too, and people have done them enough damage as it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment