“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, July 12, 2013

Grown, and gone.

It's Friday morning.   I was looking at some old pictures on the computer and I realized that my wife and I won't be going to the beach this year.  She is spending the summer with my daughter and my son up in a city in Ohio. Partly because she really likes to visit, and likes all the things there are to do in a city. The other reason is that my daughter has Ehlers Danlos syndrome, and has been having a rough time lately. She and her mom are very close so my wife is up there just visiting with her and doing what she can to help out. Ehlers Danlos lets you lead a perfectly normal life when it isn't "acting up" but when it does, it causes precipitous drops in blood pressure and fainting, among other things. So Elizabeth can do what twenty something people do, but she periodically has episodes where she has to stay in bed (or the hospital) for a few days.

Fortunately for us all, she works for a good company that is German.  Although she works in America, the company treats the employees under German labor laws, and the management is largely German. If you are a good worker, and you do a good job for them, then the Company does what it can to accommodate any disabilities you may have. They don't just turf you out into the street.



After the last session at the hospital, I told Elizabeth she was going to kill herself working so hard, and that I would hire a lawyer to get her put on social security disability. But I did too well teaching her about the ills of being dependent on the government when she was a child. She's not having any of that.  Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, transferring my 1950's values to my kids who are young adults in the 21st century.  Too late to change now though.


My son Glenn lives up in Ohio too. He and his sister share an apartment. Glenn is dyslexic, but it hasn't slowed him down any. We didn't know he was dyslexic until he was a third grader. The school said he was a "slow learner."  We were not  impressed with their diagnostic acumen and sent him to the University of Florida for a week long evaluation. Once we found out what was wrong, his mother went to the Linda Mood Bell academy in Nashville, TN and was certified in teaching reading to dyslexics. That's actually how she became a special education teacher. She had been teaching French, but through Glenn she decided to do something more practical in terms of helping kids.
Glenn has a job with one of those big box stores. He is an absolute wizard with anything electronic or related to computers, and has thrived in his current environment. Every time he wins an award or gets a bonus, his self confidence is increased. The outfit he works for is nation wide, but it's run by two old men from the South. They have passed on the Old South paternal regard for the workers to their corporation, and those who get jobs with the company are lucky indeed. Glenn is the first male in my blood line since the Revolutionary War who has not done military service.   That was a decision my brothers and I agonized over with our kids, but I think it was the right one in Glenn's case. He is not well suited to a regimented life style.

Both of my kids went to school in Vancouver, British Columbia for a couple of years after they finished their home school education.  Then they moved to a city in Northern Florida, where I had a friend (the author of this blog (Standing Outside, Looking In.) who kept an eye on them and helped them with Florida living issues. Florida was a lot different from British Columbia.

I suppose, sitting here on the mountain top this Friday morning, I got to thinking about the fact that we all used to go to the beach this month when they were living at home. Must have gotten to missing them more than usual.

8 comments:

  1. Harry - thanks so much for sharing these stories about your kids and their photos - it means alot! i told you a few years ago to have your kids map out routes to get here...in the event of anything happening...i want you to promise that they have routes to get here in the event of anything happening. i promise you that we will take care of your kids if something ever happens. your daughter and son and their variety of skills would be very useful here...and very appreciated.

    you already know why i think this island will be the last place on earth that anyone would ever bother to loot. so it is the safest place on earth in my mind.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kymber, I will email you their location. I am not sure they could get into Canada if something went bad, because I think Canada would close the borders. But it is good to have options. I appreciate the offer. They have some rudimentary supplies and equipment at their apartment, and they have two good Jeeps. If they couldn't go South, they might be able to go North up your way.
    It's good of you to offer to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - got the email and replied. jambaloney has more address details coming your way. make sure the kids get all of the info.

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
  3. Trust me, I am and shall always be your friend. I really like your new blog. I've linked it on mine. Welcome back, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know from experience that's true. Haven't forgotten how you helped the kids down there. It's been a long time since I did a blog, I'll have to get back into it. I'm amazed at how many of the "old bunch" are still out there in the ether. That takes a lot of stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kymber, got your email tonight. I'll pass the word to the kids with route maps, just in case. You never know, times being what they are. Same hold true for you and your husband, you are always welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry - thanks for that! you are a true, fine gentleman that i have always been glad to call a friend!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete