“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Procrastination


Today I have to go up on the roof, and fix some shakes that the last 17 days of wind and rain have dislodged.  I got up and had my coffee two hours ago and have been reading blogs since then.  I read the same blogs every day, but usually I do it later in the afternoon after everything that has to be done, is done.

The problem today is that the part of the roof  I'm going to be working on is at the side of the house where the distance from the roof to the ground is about 50 feet.  There's no nearby tree limb I can hook a safety harness to. When my son was home,  it wasn't such a serious matter because he is much more adapt at scurrying around on a steep roof than I am.  The other thing is that if I fall,  nobody will know til this evening when my wife calls to check on me and I don't answer the phone.  It would be tough to fall and not be able to get up, listening to the chickens edging closer and closer,  clucking in greedy anticipation as they considered the feast soon to be enjoyed. I'm not kidding there, chickens will eat anything they find, including  dead chickens.  They aren't as bad as hogs in that respect but I bet they are a close second. The sooner I get out there and get this done,  the better.

It amazes me how much food some people are able to grow.  PP has a huge garden, and I was reading postings from South Africa and Australia where the people had grown extensive gardens full of delectable vegetables, better than the ones I can buy in town. The Australian lady had a picture of kangaroo's going past her garden.  I am going to try to put links to those two posts in this , because the gardens were so impressive. Don't know if I can do it but here goes:

Australian garden

South African Garden

I can't get the color to change to blue, designating a link, but click on those two above and it will take you there.  They're both well written blogs in their own right,  so it will be worth your time.

Might as well get started on that roof.

4 comments:

  1. I remember you writing about this before. Have you thought about bitin' the bullet and paying someone qualified (and with lots of younger guys) to just put a tin roof on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, it's the hardest thing to keep up here, because I am afraid of heights. Granted, I've flown all types of fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, but that's different. I went through the Army Airborne Course at 18, and was terrified the whole time. But you know how it is, even if you think something is surely going to kill you you'll do it before "showing yellow" in front of your peers.

      But the roof has no redeeming value. I just have to make myself do it, even if I don't want to. If I could find a trustworthy person to put a metal roof on I might just do it, but the people I have talked to have all been "contractors" with no license, no insurance, and their work crews are all illegal immigrants. I did have a Home Depot guy come out from town but he felt like we were too far out and too hard to get up to on the mountain. There's another issue, too. As long as I can keep this place up, I can feel comfortable staying here. But if it starts falling apart, then my wife is right and it's time to sell out and go live in a condo on the beach at Palm Coast. Since the last 30 years of my life have been spent living surrounded by forest, I'm not sure I am ready for that yet.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm - thanks for the link :)

    I agree, please don't try fixing the roof whilst ypu're home alone. Either wait till the wife is home or get a "professional" in to do it once and for all?

    Let the chickens feast on something else... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I'm very impressed by your garden. It's the one area of self sufficiency I've completely failed at. You can't store enough food to last forever, but if you can grow it each season, you can eat.

      My wife is up North staying with the kids for the summer, so I couldn't wait for her to come back. I did carry my cell phone up on the roof with me in case I fell, but the truth is there is no cell service out here so I am not sure how it would have helped.

      Somewhere down the road I guess I will find someone I can trust to put a metal roof on. As Matt said, that's what I really want. But there aren't many people living out this way and most of the good roofers would charge too much to come all the way out from the bigger town to the east of us.

      The chickens didn't get me this time, but they are patient...

      Delete