“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Frequencies

I spent a lot of last night listening to the shortwave.   Here are some of the more interesting broadcasts I found.  I was using the Tecsun PL660 and the telescoping antenna, listening to AM wide band.

At 2300 Eastern, on 6165 khz  I got Radio Havanna.  They come in loud and clear here on several different frequencies year round.  This was a 4X signal.

At 2330 Eastern, on 6175 khz,  I listened to Radio Viet Nam.  I don't pick them up often on a hand held set using that kind of antenna, the propagation must have been just right.  This was a 5X signal but I didn't listen long, there was something creepy about the announcer. He sounded like a parody of a WW2 movie . You know, where the Japanese are out in the jungle at night yelling " You DIE TONIGHT!"

At 0345 Eastern, on 3184 khz, I listened to some pirate radio station for awhile. The HF spectrum is full of these guys.  As usual,  the announcer was a fundamentalist preacher and he worked in a lot of anti-government invective along with his wandering diatribe against pretty much everything he could think of. I'll bet you anything he was transmitting out of a barn in Kansas, Missouri, or Tennessee.  This was a 3X signal, as most of this kind of stations are.

At 0400 Eastern, on 4840 khz, I listened to the World Wide Christian Network. They had a program on about how potato chips are going to kill everybody because they have some kind of chemical in them. This is a "Prepper" outfit. There are lots of them on the HF spectrum at night, and they often have some good news programs. The advertisements are all for prepper supplies and equipment.  This lady I listened to last night was a little over the top, and some of the callers clearly came through the door from the Twilight Zone, but overall it wasn't that bad to pass the time. It was a 5X signal.

You may be able to infer another odd thing about my character from this post.  I'm an inveterate insomniac, and have been for a very long time.  Doesn't bother me, if I can't sleep at night I sleep during the day. Makes me a great shortwave listener, though.

13 comments:

  1. We both seem to have the same conditions, lack of sleep and shortwave. I must own six or seven sets. Summer nights make for fine listening. The Cuban stations here jam the airwaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old Birds of a Feather..

    I can imagine that you'd get a lot of low powered stations coming in from Cuba down there.

    In good weather I sit out on the porch at night and listen to the radio, so I have to just use a telescoping antenna. In winter I listen inside on a set that has a long wire antenna and sometimes I pick up some of those broadcasts you mentioned. Radio Havanna comes in like gang busters year round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff-I am off work today, but usually work 1430-2300 Central time, so tomorrow after work I may have to skip Coast to Coast AM and fire up the Grundig YB400 and see what I get. I used to really enjoy the activity on the 49 meter band (BBC was at 5.975 Mhz forever, seems like), but the night-time action may have moved a bit up and down from that, apparently. I wonder if the Monitoring Times website still has a big list of frequencies and their sources you can download-I suspect so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that website, I'll have to give it a look over. I keep a log book, and just scan to see what I can pick up. The little "broadcasting from the barn" outfits are interesting, if a little extreme sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I listened to Radio Havana in Arizona not so long ago. There is some real self selection in the pirate radio types a) doing something questionably legal b) awake regularly in the middle of the night c) willing to put some cash into equipment. It seems most folks willing to do all 3 are pretty odd ducks. Fun to listen to sometimes though I generally prefer getting the news perspective of other places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pirate stations, sometime they have some pretty good shows and other times, it's an experience with the bizarre and strange. I'm up at night a lot and that's when they are at their best.

      For news broadcasts, I like the national news servcies.

      Delete
  5. Can you pick up any of the short wave on the internet??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob,
    As a matter of fact, internet national news services have negatively impacted the shortwave broadcasts so much that some countries no longer even have "on the air" broadcasts, and only run streaming audio off a web page. It's not the same, for me. Then too, I like shortwave because I figure if everything else quits working short wave will go on being there for a long time .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah! It's a little after 0245 Central (0345 your time) and I'm hearing that "fundamentalist preacher" you mentioned at 3184-I wonder if he's that guy in South Carolina who bought out the small-town motel in SC and broadcasts from same? It kinda sounds like the chap I remember and I believe you could dial up some phone number and get and endless loop of his sermons and/or tirades, if you wanted-I was new to the whole cell-phone thing at the time, could call for free at night, and would indeed call and listen to him until he put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...yup, it is indeed "Brother Stair" of "The Overcomer" ministry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's out of South Carolina? I need to put that in my log. Strangely enough, you do pick up some decent information from these folks in between rants, because they have a large listening base in the rural areas and people call him to tell him what's going on.

      He's kind of interesting in his own right. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  9. Yup, Brother Stair's Overcomer Ministry (Wikipedia has more information on him that I think is more-or-less accurate) is in Walterboro, South Carolina, and I thought at one point he was broadcasting out of a small motel he'd bought for his organization. Golly, I read about your "Falling Down" day-sorry about that! That's almost like the disappointment of your solar power system from a few years back, but concentrated into one day. I hope August 30 is a lot better for you. KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bad day. If I just stay on the mountain, or in the woods, I do ok. But sometimes when I go into town, I get all tangled up in the cobwebs of other peoples travails. I don't like that.

      Today has been ok though. I'll check this guy out on Wiki. I almost never hear anything about the little midnight stations and they are interesting to me.

      Delete