“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday evening


Here's one of  the national forest boundary markers on my property line.  I  have national forest on three sides of me. That's the primary protection I have against encroachment.   So far the government has been good, though not perfect, in terms of protecting the forest from logging and development.   You can never tell with them, though.  Their idea of good forest management is clear cutting everything like a giant lawn mower came through.  They aren't above "swapping" parcels of beautiful mountain land for no good, worthless land if the right people profit by it.  Average citizens are not the right people.


I get out and walk my property lines when I can.  I don't do it as often as in years past, but you have to do it. Once I found that someone had come up on my land and cut a bunch of my silver maples. I know where that wood went, it went across the state line to be made into furniture. They come in on four wheelers, cut the trees, and drag them down slope to a forest service road. Then they load the wood on a truck and they are gone.


I never go into the woods without my dogs.  There are a lot of animals out there I don't want to walk up on.  Hogs and bears are the number one denizens I don't want to surprise.  We have coyote, red wolves, Bob cats, and despite what the bureacrats say in the capitol we have panthers (or mountain lions) too.  For years the state said the mountain lions had all been killed off .  People who live up here would see them, though. My wife and I saw  one once crossing a freshly harvested cornfield, plain as day.  But the state always said no, we were seeing dogs, etc. This from people who never leave the city.   Then when the forest service starting using trail cameras to check on the wildlife they got pictures of a panther. So much for the hoity toity so holier than thou we know better than you peasants stuffed shirts.

It takes me a lot longer to recover from a hike in the woods than it used to do.  But the weather is nice, my wife is home, and tomorrow we can get some work on the roof done.



8 comments:

  1. Our state game and fish has the same official line about mountain lions. I guess that they don't want them to get poached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I tend to be less forgiving. My thought is that once they decreed from the capitol that there were no mountain lions, then they weren't about to change their position. I have a low opinion of the DNR, based on years of seeing how they operate. Perhaps where you are they are more enlightened, it would be nice to think they were trying to protect the mountain lions instead of just being pig headed.

      Delete
  2. So if the official line is that they aren't in the area, then they won't say anything if you shoot them on site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably wouldn't. They don't seem to do a lot about people poaching the bears. Our DNR is road bound. They don't go anywhere they can't drive. Which means vast areas of the forest are wide open to poachers.

      Delete
  3. When beavers moved into north Florida the government also said it wasn't possible. Now country folk deal with the dammed creeks and estuaries yearly. Thirty years ago we didn't have coyotes...now we my group camps out in the boonies we fall asleep to their chilling music. The coyotes and fire-ants have just about cleaned out the native cottontail rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the pythons are not showing up in your area. Of all the invasive species, that one is surely the most unnerving.

      Delete
  4. How many acres do you have? When I was a child, we lived next to the Natchez Trace. There was a road between our property and ours. We were only bounded on one side, but it was nice as I remember. Our ten acres gave us a buffer from everything, it seemed. But, I was a child, so it may not have been as isolated as I remember it.

    I know it would be just oh, so wrong, but I would want to start putting up fences to keep people from cutting trees!

    Bringing dogs along sounds like a good idea. The gun looks handy, too. What kind of dogs do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a large enough piece of land that I'm protected on the front, down slope side which is not national forest. It would be impossible for anyone to get close enough to really be a problem.

    The dogs like to go on walks and they run all around, including to the sides and the front. That way, if there's anything out there I don't want to stumble up on, I'll know it's there.

    I have a lab mix and a hound dog now. Two dogs is the fewest I've had, but I get all my dogs when they just show up at the place and nobody has come by looking for a home in awhile.

    ReplyDelete