“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Is there anywhere far enough out there to hide from D.C.?





The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Ayn Rand


It's all well and good for me to sit out here in the middle of this forest,  and think that whatever happens "out there"  won't effect me.  But that's another manifestation of the Ostrich Defense.  Ignoring what's going on won't prevent the ripple effects from reaching as far as my mountain top.

It's true that in terms of firearms and ammunition, nothing the banditti  in D.C. do is going to effect me. Like someone living in a small Bavarian village while Hitler was in power,  I can sit back and watch the current regime in D.C. do it's significant worst and when I look outside the woods are still there.  I believe, as Heinlein did, that there is no moral imperative to obey bad laws.  He simply ignored or disobeyed laws that had political rather than moral ends, and he was right to do so.


Survivalism and anti-fascist politics have always been closely related.  That's one reason that the average sheeple recoils from the word "survivalist."  A survivalist is by nature inclined to be anti government because government as we know it today exists only to control and to coerce.  Government is people like Cathy Giffords, who decide that they have been enlightened as to the true path, and by God we are all going to walk it, like it or not.  It's people like that demented billionaire, Bloomberg,  who makes it his life's mission to control what the mob eats and drinks because he knows what's best and they don't.  Nobody is going to make decisions for me on that level, whether the "government" ostensibly gives them the "right" to do so or not. Illegitimate governments derive their power to govern from the barrel of a gun, as Mao so aptly phrased it.  Legitimate governments derive their power to govern from the consent of the governed.  If you had to choose which we have today, what would your choice be?

It's difficult to write a survivalist oriented blog without discussing politics, because the survivalist prizes individual freedom of will, and the government constantly strives to suppress that and force everyone into the square holes on the peg board that will allow the government to grow. There's a natural conflict between people who value choice and a system that does it's utmost to suppress freedom of choice. I've tried to avoid politics but sometimes the overlap is so great I just can't do it.



6 comments:

  1. There are a few places left but only if you combine living in those spots with flying low under the radar. However I would say we are seeing a new development in government oppression these days. Mob rule. It is even worse than might makes right. In so many ways our very rights are being voted away and that gives the tyrants the excuse that it is the will of the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at doffing my cap.

      My frustration level has been higher this week than in a long time. Not that it helps anything, of course.

      Delete
  2. Amen, Brother. To answer your question, no we cannot hide. Just don't stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to keep a low profile. I am not always successful though.

    I spent some time this afternoon writing my Senators and Representative about this latest executive order. I know it probably doesn't do any good but at least it relieves me of having to feel like I did nothing. It's an exercise in self delusion, I guess. Maybe we should take a leaf from French history and start building barricades across the streets in D.C. Abas Les Aristos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, Rand saw it coming back in the 50s.Jefferson warned us over 200 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, you're right. We just haven't been able to do anything about it. Somebody left a comment here about how he never listens to talk radio anymore, because they are always talking about how "we" need to do something, but nothing ever seems to get done. I feel the same frustration he does. Millions of people in this country must feel it. As long as the system keeps on like it is, though, things are just going to get worse.

      Delete