“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday. It's hot.


Pretty brutal outside today.  Up into the nineties and high humidity.  I took the truck and went into town. I haven't driven the F250 in a while and if you don't run a diesel fairly frequently you start having troubles with it.

Stopped by the post office.  There was only one window open.  Some old fellow about 95 from the looks of him was in there trying to get his mail held while he was out of town, and the procedure was just a little bit more than he could get a handle on.  I stood in line for about 15 minutes, then decided to come back later.

I was in a hurry so I ate lunch at Burger King.  I almost never go into fast food places and now I remember why.  Trash falling out of the garbage cans. Dirty tables.  The people working there would rather have been anywhere else and showed it.  I ate my  unpalatable lunch and left.  I guess I'll stick to the country cafes from now on.

Went out to Walmart.  I bought 50 lbs of dog food, 22 lbs of dry cat food, 24 cans of wet cat food, 8 pounds of  kitten chow,  one big bag of ferret treats, one big bag of rat food,  and some eggs for me. My hens have quit laying. Periodically they do that , for reasons I can't figure out.  Got some diesel in the truck at $3.72 a gallon.  Now I am inside, where it is cool, listening to some smooth jazz and pondering whether or not a nap is called for. I believe it is.

6 comments:

  1. Harry - that's a good haul for your pets! we have 3 cats, plus feed the birds and the squirrels every day. it's hard to keep the preps stocked when the cats eat as much as they do!!! sounds like your pets are like our cats! as for fast food, we stopped eating fast food or processed food years ago. but every now and again, we're in town, late for something so grab some mcdonalds. and then promise never to eat there again. but then 6 months later, you're in town, running late, blah-blah-blah. but if you can stick to the country cafes, your body will thank you for it!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I spend a fortune on animal supplies. I figure they all do something to contribute up here though, so they are entitled to their rations and care.

      I almost never eat in fast food joints, but today I was dragging, had a lot to do, and I thought I'd just run in there. Big Mistake. Normally when I go to town I have a nice lunch at a cafe I really like. They have a good salad bar, and a screened in patio where you can look out into the mountains.

      Delete
  2. Another busy day for you Harry. I think with all that heat and busyness you are allowed to have a nap to recharge your batteries :)

    We gave up junk food a couple of years ago. Now I cant even stand the smell of it! The last time I had a McDonald's burger I couldn't even finish it because it was just so awful. Now if I grab junk food for my son because of running late, I just fix myself something easy at home. If we are out of town, I stick to places like subway for a meal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely start running low on energy by early afternoon in the summer. I can handle cold, but heat and humidity just drain the life out of a person.

      I hardly ever eat at a fast food place either, but today I had one of those "gift cards." My 85 year old mother sends me all kinds of gift cards she gets for using her credit card. I like the ones for Walmart, but I wish she wouldn't send the "food joint" cars. I usually use them just for coffee. Subway is good, I like their sandwiches.

      Delete
  3. Other then lunch it sounds like a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of long though. I don't think I had been away from the place since last Thursday or Friday though so I needed to get out for a bit.

      Delete