“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Surprising how fast the days go.


It's already mid August.  Before long the leaves will be turning and it will be time to build a fire in the fireplace. It will be dark at five in the afternoon and the sun will come up later.  Every season here has it's points. Fall is spectacular, but the mountains get crowded with visitors. Winter is quiet, and only the locals are here. That drops the population of the county by about half or more.  There are RV parks in my county that are completely full now, but after about the third week of October they'll be absolutely deserted. The tourists don't want to be up here when it starts getting really cold and the snow comes. Once they leave, I can quit worrying about running over ancients in golf carts out on the dirt roads.

The mountains pretty well shut down in the winter.  The state park closes the camp ground, all the forest service parks and sites close down.  The forest service roads become largely impassable.  If snow is coming, I'll have to park my vehicle down on the hard surface road and walk back and forth to the house. That's about a mile and a half one way through the woods. In times past I've hauled supplies up here by sled when ice kept us locked in longer than I anticipated.  That's beyond me now though. I'll just have to make sure we have enough sacks of feed, and all other supplies, to see us through any bad weather.  Actually, it's good to have a week or two where you can't get out at all, because then you find the holes in your plans.

frozen rock face . People climb it with ropes.
There's still some hot weather ahead, but that's just as well. There's a lot of work to be done before winter comes. I have several truck loads of firewood to get cut and stacked, among other things.  Once winter gets here, everything but emergency repairs has to wait til Spring.



12 comments:

  1. I am starting to think about fall, this isn't normal for me in August, could it be an early fall this year? I need to replace some fire brick in the wood furnace, and spray the house for the stink bug invasion that is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people asked themselves that question today on different blogs. I think, myself, it is just a Canadian cold front. To tell the truth, I sure wouldn't mind an early Fall. This heat has run me down a bit.

      Delete
  2. I'm wondering with this early fall if we'll have a colder than normal winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a blessing. This has been a tough summer on a lot of fronts and I'm ready for it to be over. I like the really cold nights, you can see millions of stars and hear the snow falling in the trees.

      Delete
  3. OMG NOOOO we are gonna have a nice mild Winter with lots of flight days for Bees... Damnit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess you need that for your bees. Unfortunately for us , a mild winter means a bumper crop of hornets, wasps, mosquitoes, gnats, jiggers, fleas. Even worse, it means lots of snakes.

      Delete
  4. i am soooooo with Pioneerpreppy on this one - jeesh - we are just hitting our dog daze of summer! we can finally go swimming every day. the last few months of august are our real summer. hey you people that get summer all through june and july - think about us who are just getting our summer! and stop this talk of fall! i mean it!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it cold there now? This very cool weather we are having, which is such a blessing, is supposed to be from a cold Canadian air mass that moved South.

      I know you don't want winter to come, can't say I blame you at all. But I'm sure ready.

      Delete
  5. Could we have September stick around for a few months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I have decided I want it to go right to the third week of October and just stay that way. If this were Narnia I would be on the side of the evil Snow Queen.

      Delete
  6. Harry, have you ever given thought to the purchase of a four wheeler? Or, snow-mobile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I really hadn't. I had a four wheeler but I gave it away because I never used it and was always a little leery I'd wind up smashed against a tree someday. My brother and I found a guy stone dead that way, he had crashed into a tree, no helmet, and split his head wide open. He was cold and stiff when we found him.

      A snow mobile would be fun, if it were cheap enough. But with two kids working like dogs to make ends meet I would feel a little guilty about an extravagance right now. On the other hand, I can't keep struggling through the snow in the woods to reach the vehicle down by the county road, so I may have to do something of that nature. It's not a bad idea.

      Delete