“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, August 19, 2013

The first issue of a new survival magazine.

I ordered this direct from the publisher when I first heard about it.  My copy came this weekend.


First, it's put out by the same people who publish Guns and Ammo, so it is heavy on gun articles.  Second, like the first issue of Off Grid, it's largely oriented towards people new to survivalism. (Or prepping, if that term suits you better.)

I did find out that one of the writers for Guns and Ammo whose articles I have always enjoyed started his writing career with American Survival Guide many years ago.   David Fortier is a well known gun writer but I never associated him with surivalism. 

The magazine is laid out well, and the articles are well written. The main problem is that they are all for beginners, with the possible exception of the one on back up power for electronic devices. That was very useful and justified the $13.00 (includes S&H) that I paid for the magazine.  It came in a paper envelope, which is good because it keeps your magazine from getting all torn up in the mail. On the other hand, when my post lady didn't close the mail box all the way and it rained, the paper envelope didn't protect the magazine and it got wet. I prefer the plastic wrapper that Survivalist ships in, all things considered.



6 comments:

  1. I've picked up a lot of the new magazines and they are nice, flashy and.... high def I suppose. If I learn one thing it was worth the investment.

    Side note, Matt just told me about your blog, I have some back reading to do but I'm glad to see you around and doing well, happy and healthy.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Max. Good to hear from you. I haven't been back at it very long but I'm sure enjoying blogging again. I'm surprised at how many people are still out there from the last time around. There are a lot of these new magazines coming out, I guess Doomsday Preppers has some redeeming features after all, since I can't think of anything else that would have motivated the publishers than a growing market.

      Delete
  2. I guess what can be taken from the content is that A LOT of people who are new to preparedness are finally waking up and realizing 'Holy Crap - I think I have to make some changes here'. So baby steps in learning are in order.

    What I don't see is why people are foregoing the magazine and just going on-line ?

    But, its a step in the right direction, anything you can do to take care of yourself and your family is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certain that a lot of people are trying to at least do some small things to take care of themselves. It flies in the face of what people have been taught for a long time in the schools, though. The party line that kids are taught is to NEVER, EVER under any circumstances do something for yourself. Go to authority. Getting beat up on the playground, don't resist, tell a teacher. It makes good little drones who look to the government for guidance, for sustenance, and for protection. Trying to take responsibility for that flies in the face of the Borg mentality. I think Katrina has a lot to do with this sudden surge of interest in "prepping." Then too, you can watch Doomsday Preppers and you have some overweight woman showing you how to make quiche out of long term storage food. That isn't as threatening as an honest to God survivalist showing you how to take down a gun and repair it. So it's socially acceptable to be a "prepper" in ways it never was to be a survivalist.

      The magazine lays things out all nice and simple. The internet can be a confusing place to try to learn about something because you can find so many different attitudes and points of view. For the person new to the life style I think the net is intimidating. There are also, dare I say it, some really messed up people out on the internet and not all of them are easy to spot.

      As you say, better to light a single candle than curse the darkness. Anything at all beats sitting on your rear end and counting on FEMA.

      Delete
  3. Fortier used to do a lot of articles for Shotgun News and Gun List back in the day when those periodicals meant something. You could tell from how he reviewed a product, and what he wore in the pictures, that he had a certain mindset that those in the know would recognize. His writing isn't too bad and he does address questions in his reviews of guns that those of us into survivalism would have. For example, your average Guns & Ammo review of, say, military surplus ammo, wouldn't spend much ink about how resistant it is to the environment and then test the ammo by submerginf it for a few days in saltwater....but Fortier did that in his article about Wolf ammo. So, yeah, he's a survivalist...I like his stuff although I haven't seen any of it lately. I may have to see if I can bum a copy of that magazine from someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as they show up on the news stands, I'm buying a copy for my library. The one that the post lady let get wet because she didn't shut the mailbox door here in the rain forest is all wrinkled up. When I get the new one I'll mail you the old one if you want. It's perfectly readable, it's just wrinkled some.

      I've always enjoyed Fortier's articles but just never thought of him as anything more than a mark one mod five gun writer. It's good to know there's more to him than that.

      Delete