“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The rain thunders down yet again.



We're having a thunderstorm this morning, rather than the drizzling rain that has been a feature of this summer.

Ever so often, all the land line telephones ring. The electric pulse from the lightning jumps on our telephone wires, which are largely above ground. You get used to it after awhile.

Keeping the humidity down requires running dehumidifiers, not just in the house but in the shop , enclosed portions of the barn, and the apartment.  Not doing this will result in mold or mildew getting into those spaces.  This is the wettest summer on record here. It's been so humid as a result that mildew has started growing on some of the logs my house is built of. Thankfully, there's an easy fix.  Spraying it with Lysol kills the mildew, but it does add another lengthy chore to the daily list, since most of the walls of my buildings can only be reached by standing on a ladder.

There's been so much rain that I routinely cover the bed of my pickup with a tarp. I put a couple of long 2X4 studs over the back, from the top of the cab to the tailgate and cover those with the tarp to keep the rain water from pooling in the bed. Since the truck is parked on a slope nose down, failure to do so can result in more than enough water to fill a large bathtub piling up against the front of the bed.

Rain or not, I've decided to go to town today.  I don't particularly need anything, but I'm not anxious to spend the day here inside again.  I can at least have lunch in town, go by Walmart to see if anything has come in I need or want, and check the magazine rack at the grocery store. I will get wet but it will pass the day.

18 comments:

  1. It'll do you good to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw, I like that photo on your sidebar, "Peace through superior firepower".

      I want to see one that says:

      "walk softly and carry a big (BOOM)stick"

      Delete
    2. Matt - are you referring to the movie "Army of Darkness" when you say BOOMstick? if so - bahahahahah! we love that movie!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
    3. Kymber I'm not sure where I heard it. I don't remember seeing that movie.

      Delete
    4. Matt - it might just be right up your alley! it's a little old but man is it funny!

      Delete
    5. AOD, Truly one of the greatest movies ever made, and how many quotable lines?!
      "good.....bad.....I'm the guy with the gun!"

      Delete
    6. SCextremist - i would have to agree, my husband and i own a copy and we must have seen it 50 times!

      "gimme some sugar, baby" - bahahahahahah! soooo many quotable lines!

      Delete
    7. Yeah, it was good to go to town. The Burgher King had flooded, which was interesting. Rained hard here until about four thirty in the afternoon, then the sun came out. It's a steam bath outside right now.

      I never heard of Army of Darkness, but I'm going to get a copy, sounds good.

      Delete
    8. Harry - it's a pretty goofy movie about a guy getting sent back to the middle ages, has to deal with a bunch of old dead skeleton zombies and a whole pile of other crazy crap! but it sure has it's moments, it's quotable lines and is funny as heck!

      Delete
  2. We been dry for a couple weeks more or less now but earlier with all the rain I started parking my truck the other way to stop it from becoming a swimming pool in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rain has been hellish. It caused some kind of nasty flu like disease that killed some of my cats. It's causing mildew and mold. These incredibly weird mushrooms are popping up everywhere on the forest floor, and there's some kind of white fungus like snow spreading along the forest floor as well. I have moss growing on my shake roof now, and will have to spray all the roofs with moss killer to get rid of it once things dry out some. Rain is good but not like it has been this month.

      Delete
  3. yikes - Harry promise to be careful when you are spraying the lysol from the ladder. i know you will be but if everything is all wet and raining, you could easily slip! i hope you have a nice day in town, even though you'll get wet! i hope you find some good magazines!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, found no magazines but enjoyed looking. Getting up on a ladder when everything is wet is not good. I bought some commercial mildew killer at the feed store today, and can put it in my sprayer so I can reach further with the stream. That will help some.

      Delete
    2. Harry - sorry about the magazines! i am glad that you got some commercial stuff that you can use in your sprayer. i checked the weather network and you are being belted with rain for quite some time. i sure do hope it stops soon!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
  4. It's so wet here I've grown gills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe it. It's been wetter in terms of inches of rain in your area than in mine, and we're floating here.

      Delete
  5. This is five or six weeks of rain every day. How do you keep dehumidifiers going? Mine die about time the warranty is gone. Is there a way to repair them? The mildew is bothering my allergies! I don't live in a forest, by yard plays one on tv.

    ReplyDelete