“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, September 27, 2013

A Mormon book packed full of information.


I like Mormons.  I don't belong to their sect,   but then I'm not affiliated with any organized religion.  As far as I'm concerned,  it's none of my business how people worship whoever or whatever they worship. At least as long as it's not some warped religion that hurts other people like Santaria or Islam.

But the Mormons have something going for them.  The ones who survive and don't drop out to become meth heads or prostitutes go on to have strong, loving families. They have a lot of common sense, and their community is one of the best organized in terms of preparedness I've ever known.  Back in their early days, people were scared of them because if you got a mob up to go burn out the heretics, the heretics shot the hell out of their assailants. They are not pacifists.  I read a book about the great westward movement in the 1840's, and the immigrants headed west over the Oregon Trail were a lot more afraid of the Mormons than they were of the Souix, which tells you something.

The Mormons let outsiders use their canneries, and don't charge them any more or treat them any different than they do Mormons.  They put their program for determining supply stockage levels based on age and gender on line for anyone to use. And, they have this excellent book.


You can download it for free but it's really too big for that.



With this one book,  if you didn't know anything at all about survival procedures or long term planning, you could get a good grip on everything you needed to get started.  It's a great resource manual.

I've got mine out this morning doing a little research, and I thought I'd mention it while I was thinking about it.

11 comments:

  1. I'm an atheist, but I don't give folks crap for believing in whatever religion they want...as long as they don't let THEIR belief affect MY life. I mean, if your religion tells you that sex before marriage is wrong, great..don't do it. But don't try to keep me form dipping my pen in some inkwells. Thats what I like about Mormons...usually they stay out of my life, unlike the other religions. South Park did an episode about Mormons and at the end of the episode the mormon kid says "Yeah, maybe our religion is made up, or weird, or is full of silly beliefs...but you know what, I've got a great family, great relationships, and I'm happy. So..suck my balls." So while it may seem like a cult to some folks, you can't argue with the great wholesome family-oriented strong sense of community they create.

    I respect the Mormons greatly and am very grateful that they let me use theor facilities. This is why I will always offer to buy lunch for any pair of missionaries I run across. Figure I can pay it back to 'em somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew some Mormans in the Marines and they were universally liked and respected. You could rely on them to the last ditch in matters great or small. I actually envy people who have religious faith because if they are right they have some help and if they are wrong they will never know it.

      Delete
  2. By the way, the guy that runs that ldsavow.com website is the son of the folks who used to manage the LDS cannery here that I go to. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several years ago, I spent pretty much all day on my days off each week restoring an old antique truck in my driveway over the course of a summer. I lost track of how many times I had the same pair of "visitors" stop and talk to me. One of them was an old guy that chatted with me about whatever part of the truck I was working on. They left pamphlets and whatnot, and they spoke about God, but there wasn't any sales pressure. If there had been, I would have given them their walking orders.

    Instead, they were friendly and I kinda looked forward to their visits :) I Didn't convert to Mormonism, of course, but they were good folks. I'll take visiting Mormons over Sharia touting Islamofascists any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how my relationship with the Mormons has been. They have never been pushy about their faith with me, and they are very helpful people. Aside from religion, they believe a lot of the same things I do. If I'd been around in their early days I think I'd have joined up because, like my hero Travis the Chimp, they took no shit. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Harry - i love these kinds of posts! no subjective analysis, just plain fact! the Mormons of the early days would really have been your cup of tea - yer darn tootin's you would have joined them!!! but even in our modern times, they offer excellent resources for anyone interested in prepping or survivalism! i hope this post teaches many about the resources that Mormons provide!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber! I've been missing you. You and J need to quit working so hard on the manor up there and do more posting. I would have joined the Mormons in the early days I think, because they had strong leadership and strong group identity. Also I like their view of how life should be. I still do, actually.
      I'll swing by the Manor this afternoon now that I'm home and see if you have done a new post.

      Frank

      Delete
  5. Harry, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). It's principles have guided me and helped me raise my kids the best that I can. The preparedness manual has been invaluable to me in my preparations for many years. I am about as loyal a person you could run across. Guess I got that way from my pioneer ancestors.

    Glad to have you as a friend.
    --Troy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Troy, I enjoy having you come by the blog. You belong to a good church, and they have their act together. They've got pretty high standards you have to adhere to if you want to be in that church, so congratulations on making the grade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the stuff they believe is a little out there for me but I have two good friends who are Mormon and they are great people and I love their devotion to family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good family people, and good friends. The two you associate with will never make you sorry you did.

      Delete