“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A post on the power system the writer used for off grid living in South Africa.






Solar Power for Living Off Grid in South Africa

Look for the Posting dated Saturday, 14 December, 2013


Some time back I wrote an "after action" report on my off grid power system that I built back in 1999. I said at the time that there might have been advances in technology for that kind of gear since then, and if I saw someone writing a more current post I'd link to it.

Dani and her family live off grid in South Africa.  She has written a really detailed, informative post on the system as they initially installed it, what worked, and what didn't.  I think anyone interested in off grid living might save some time and money by benefiting from their experiences.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. I know bupkus about solar electricity and would like to get a 'minimal' off-grid system built while the components to it are still available for sale. Nothing like the entire house system, more like a medium sized room plus a small refrigerator / freezer going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been keeping an eye out as I read blogs, for information on solar power because I knew you were interested and I assume others are too. She's a good writer, lives in an interesting place, and has actually been able to go off grid, which is more than I ever accomplished.

      Delete
  2. Harry - I'm ashamed to say that I never saw this posting of yours. My apologies for not thanking you for the link - and for your very, very kind words :) I'm humbled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, you actually made it work. I built a massive solar power system in 1999 here, with all the components, and it didn't work worth a darn. I'm impressed.

      Delete