“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, September 23, 2013

Chilly


  Clear and cold this morning.  About 52 degrees when the sun came up. In a month or so it'll be much colder but for now that will do.  Humidity is low as well, which makes for a nice day.

I have nothing planned.  I need to work on the porch some, and there are a few other minor fix it up jobs to do this week but I'm not in the mood to drive to town today. I need to get some lumber to do the repairs. It will have to wait til tomorrow.

This would be a good day to reorganize the store rooms. Over the summer I've been putting cases of food, jugs of water, sacks of feed and all kinds of things here and  there. I keep the store rooms orderly , but by rearranging I could make a little extra space.  Just before winter sets in I buy a lot of supplies that are bulky and take up room. If we have a blizzard, I don't want to run out of anything like feed.


The apartment over the shop could stand a little rearranging, too. I tend to use it as a place to "hang out" and I leave things out there on the counter that really should be put up in the cabinets. Every Fall and then again in Spring, I give the apartment and the shop a good going over.

Gary in Alabama was  talking about how he needed another outbuilding. I am going to have to do something along those lines about my water storage.  I now have about one hundred  2 gallon jugs stored in the barn store room and there's no place in there to put anymore racks.  If I build myself a good sturdy outbuilding, say 10 X 10, and purpose designed it for nothing but storage, I could free up a lot of room .  There's a good place , flat with good drainage, where my old chicken yard used to be.

I'm glad Fall is here.  Spring and Summer are working seasons. But Fall and Winter, you just sit back and enjoy them. Usually it's too cold to do much outside after November, but I have two more months where I can get the final things done around the place.

I like Thanksgiving and Christmas, too. The holidays are always pleasant here, especially if it is snowing around Christmas time. The kids come home to visit and that's always a good time.


20 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, isn't it normally in spring when once has a clean out? :)

    Whatever, nothing like a good tidy up to put everything in perspective. And, as you so rightly point out, come the dark, cold months of winter, quickly finding what you need will be very helpful, and ensure that you can get back inside to the warmth all that faster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani,
      How's the little boy? Hope it isn't turning out to be a really traumatic issue, it sounded bad.

      This is a semi annual routine for me . When Fall gets here, the humidity goes down and I can leave the doors and windows open on the spaces I normally have to run climate control in. That makes it a lot easier.

      Delete
    2. Harry - Thsnks for asking ; he's doing great. The cast comes off next week, in the operating theatre, just before the Doc removes the pin.

      Doc is very hsppy, and the follow-up x-ray shows that his wrist has healed well.

      He (and his wrist) has youth to promote rapid healing. Says he can't wait to wash his hand again...?!?! (This IS a 10-year-old boy we're talking about LOL)

      Delete
    3. I"m really glad to hear that . I was worried there might be some permanent impact because it sounded severe. Most boys get banged up one way or the other, it's just part of the process of growing up I guess.

      Delete
  2. By the way - we wouldn't be allowed to leave rifles, etc propped up against the wall here. We have to have a gunsafe, which is anchored to the wall / floor - and the law comes round to ensure that it is properly installed, otherwise they won't grant you a license for a weapon - of any sort...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank God and the National Rifle Association, I don't need a license for any of my weapons. I do keep a lot of my best pieces in gun safes, but only in case my place gets hit while I am away. I have an AK47 attached to my bed post, in case my place gets hit while I am around! :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, the best time of the year is upon us. I too leave rifles and shotguns leaned, in a rack, in my office closet. The expensive stuff is in the gun safe, not that its required by any law. The government can stuff itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I think if we didn't have the National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment, we'd be in the same boat as Dani, and Tania, and the Europeans.

      I also truly believe that if our government went any more fascist on us than it already has, and they tried to confiscate arms, people would hide them or fight them or both. I could elaborate on that but I don't want to join Randy Weaver or David Koresh on the FBI's "massacre and hand out awards afterwards" list.

      Delete
  4. Well you have plenty to keep you busy! Our apple trees are ripe, so I've been messing with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some apple trees. My wife and I planted fruit trees in the meadow but the goats ate them.

      Delete
  5. You are smart to have all that back stock! We have some, but we live in the city. If it snows, it's not long before the streets are cleared.

    With all the crazy floods along with oil spills, you do never know when something major is going to happen.

    *I do keep much of my kid's artwork. I'm a college design teacher, so art is pretty important to me. My husband works at a dental lab for his job, but on the side he makes sculpture and jewelery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa,
      You have the makings of a survivalist, did you know that? And you have the motivation, since you and your husband have children to provide for. It's just one step from preparing for storms to looking at events that could be longer lasting and more dramatic.

      You'll be glad you have the kids art work when they are grown and gone. It's a link with the past when you are old.

      Delete
  6. Won't have time for inside work until dead Winter myself. This time of year when the underbrush begins to die back is for cutting wood before the snows start. I try and cut a little all year long but the reality is that Summer growth and bugs makes it too difficult before the Fall frosts hit. Mostly just easy yard trees until the end of September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is good for wood cutting. The leaves start coming off the trees and at least you can see your way back to wherever you parked your truck. Humping wood out of the forest is too hard. I buy mine now. I figure if I ever need to cut, split and stack my own again something will have gone wrong and my kids should be home to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a kitchen sink butted into a corner like that. Did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't hard. That building is log, and two story. The bottom floor is my shop, the upstairs is the apartment. The water comes into the lower level, the hot water heater is down there, so I can run pipes however I want. Without seeing the whole apartment it might look strange, but it's functional. To the left of the picture is a full bath. To the right there's a breakfast bar kind of affair that separates the kitchen area from a bedroom and sitting room combination. The cabinets and such are just modular units that you set in any way you like. The apartment is comfortable but it was designed to take advantage of the available space to the maximum extent possible. I put functionality over "style." There are a lot of things about my place that are different. It will probably be difficult to sell because of that if I ever decide to sell.

      Delete
    2. Commander_Zero - you should see my kitchen sink - I couldn't get it closer to the corner if I wanted to...LOL

      Delete
    3. Commander_Zero - you should see my kitchen sink - I couldn't get it closer to the corner if I wanted to...LOL

      Delete
  9. Harry my garage project is because my wife is tired of it in the house.I think most married people need His and her houses.Whoops i mean space! or did i have it right first? :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about separate houses but each certainty needs their own space.

      Delete