“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Opportunity.

Since my wife is taking prescription antibiotics,  and she got sick two days before I did, this is a good opportunity to see how the vet meds work. I am taking the same medicine, in the same dosage, except that mine is vet medicine.  Since the only other medicines we are talking are over the counter, and the same medicine,  things should run about the same course.

At the same time, I have put all the ferrets downstairs and put up the baby gate so they can't get upstairs. Ferrets get the same diseases humans do.  If I wear plastic gloves when I replenish their feeding station, and don't pick them up, then they should not get this illness at all.  Of course the main purpose is to keep them well, but if we have a disease situation,  separating the ill people from the well people by floor should work. This is a chance to see if it does.

Anyway, I ate a 13 year old can of beans I found in the store room once to see what it tasted like .  Might as well wring some experience out of whatever comes your way.

13 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how it works out with the meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am going to be sick I want to derive some advantage from it. : )

      Delete
  2. This will be an interesting follow up post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's no follow-up you will know my theories on the use of vet meds for humans were wrong . : )

      Delete
  3. Old beans vs. Vet meds. Can't wait to hear which one wins in the end. :)
    --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting the 13 yr old stash of TP will be tested as well here soon.

      No after action report necessary.

      Delete
    2. That thing with the can of beans was a while back. The can wasn't rusted or swollen so I figured why not. I can't address the nutritional aspect of it but the taste and texture were fine.

      Delete
    3. I hope they will both be winners. The experiment with the older canned food proved that in that one instance at least,the expiration date was meaningless in terms of how the food tasted. I believe the medications are the same in terms of the parameters that are important. I like to get a little first hand experience with theories I advocate when I can.

      Delete
  4. A few days back I ate a six (6) year old can of clam chowder. Tasted great. Matt's in for a long night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tends to substantiate the theory that expiration dates on canned food have more to do with lawyer proofing than with the viability of the food. Yeah, after all we are striving to expand the boundaries of scientific knowledge here tonight.

      Delete
  5. There are absolutely no differences between veterinarian medications and human medications. When our doctor gets greedy when writing a prescription, we borrow from our dog. AND most pet meds are filled for free at Publix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll respond the same. I thought of you the other day - I got this random (and gross) infected zit on my face that would not heal. It was getting to the point it warranted a trip to the dr but then I remembered I had this antibiotic acne gel that my vet had prescribed this cat we used to have that got "cat acne". I dug it out and used it and within two hours the swelling had started to finally go down. It really worked well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That scared me when you started out " I thought of you the other day - I got this random (and gross) infected zit on my face that would not heal." I thought, my God, I must have inadvertently said something to make her mad! Then I read on and my fears were alleviated. So that's a second confirmation that vet drugs work ok on people, at least some time. I am feeling worlds better today, and it has to be the antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete