“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Well, hell!

I just got a really vulgar comment, which turned out to be spam.  I saw it when I checked my email. It was embarrassing so I rushed to that posting to delete it before anyone else saw it.  But, the comment  wasn't there.  So I fiddled around with my email, but couldn't figure out why it didn't post.  Then I went to the blog template and saw the "spam" box that I didn't realize was incorporated into blogger. When I went there, not only were there about 15 really nasty spam messages, but there were some perfectly legitimate comments. So if someone wrote a comment and thought I deleted it or something, not so.  It got stuck in the blogger spam box and I never knew it was written. What I can't understand is that many of these never turned up in my gmail at all, unlike the one that prompted me to look for it on the posting.  Most of the comments that got caught in the blogger spam filter were anonymous comments, for what it's worth.

I really don't like the filtering system that has some screwed up, impossible to read letters and then some numbers. I know people get sick of spam, and I do my best to figure out the combinations and leave comments. I figure using that is purely a matter of choice for each writer.  It's just harder for me because even with my reading glasses, the letters are so warped and twisted together I have a terrible time deciphering them. On the other hand, at least they don't get comments full of interesting language on their blogs.

I know you can use comment moderation, too. But that's time consuming and slows down the give and take on the blog. So I suppose for the time being I'll just have to start checking the blogger spam filter and releasing the legitimate comments.


7 comments:

  1. I wish there was a spam filter for our phone. I put us on the DO NOT CALL LIST, but that only worked for a while. Now when we answer the phone, we say "Hello". If we have to say it the second time, we know to hang up because the computer at the other end switches you to a salesman on the second "hello".

    But still.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a captcha since otherwise the spam goes out of control. As to comment moderation I agree it slows stuff up. After trial and error I only moderate for posts over 14 days old as they are much more likely to be spam and also far less frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Spam is aggravating and sometimes embarrassing. Those warped numbers are annoying. Just a facet of blogging there's no fix for as long as there are people out there trying to turn the system to their advantage with no consideration for others.

      Delete
  3. And then there is the spam that makes it through regardless of any filter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and some of it is pretty smart. I've had to sit there and try to figure out if this was a real comment or just spam. Some of the "robots" can latch on to words in your post and then generate spam that has a line or two about that subject. The give away for me is the part that says "my blog is at so and so." Almost nobody really does that.

      Delete
  4. Yeah... I'm not a big fan the captcha method too. Even though I have to use it on my own blog. I can go several days without having time to even look at my blog stuff. Unfortunately that's usually when something hideous or annoying shows up in a comment. You're right, its just something we all have to put up with since we can't get our hands on the dopes that make it necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose everything has a down side. I didn't think I was actually getting any spam until I looked at the spam filter blogger has on the blog. That was an education. But as you say, if they are out of reach they just have to be contained as best we can.

      Delete